: 1995 Fleetwood Brougham

1990CaddyBrougham
04-22-07, 09:16 PM
Im going to look at a 95 Brougham this week. Its for sale local, seems to be in really nice shape also. Im going to bring my dad along and try to talk him into trading up my mothers 95 town car with 145k miles on it, for this brougham wiht 100.
But, theres alwasys a but.. the tranny has no reverse.

Its a 95, so what years (and other cars) would a tranny be able to interchange? id like to get some prices and do some research.

The car goes forward, so im going to test it out, and try to force it apon my dad. But id like to get some prices on a used tranny.

Thanks guys

Old Fleetwood
04-22-07, 09:27 PM
Unless prices have gone up, Carolina Performance Transmissions can sell you a 4L60E for around $1,300. And that's one that's NOT yanked from a piece of junk but has been rebuilt with care and muscled up with H-D parts.
I got a Stage II to tow with. That is a tougher one with even beefier parts and that one was about $495.00 more. Of course I also got the hi-stall converter.
The Cadillac Dealer in Torrington, CT beat the flat rate hours and put it in for under $200.00.
As Shane Cobb of Carolina Performance Transmissions said about the transmission, "It makes the car act is if it lost 1,000 lbs." But what I like best is the unbelievable gentleness of the car on GLARE ICE.
The high-slip converter does wonders in applying power gently. Yet when you goose it, the Fleetwood picks up her skirts and really flies.
Anyhow, if you can spring for it, please look into it. You won't regret it.

caddycruiser
04-22-07, 10:59 PM
I EXACTLY concur with what Old Fleetwood said, if you're in the market for a new tranny, there is absolutely, positively nothing better than a unit from CPT. They know they're stuff, have been putting out top quality units from day one, and there's a reason why they have such a following--all for prices in line with the iffy quality you often get from other rebuilds OR even supposed new GM trannies. They're built how they should have been, and are just awesome.

That said, if going any other route, what you're looking for is essentially the 4L60E from ANY '94-96 Caprice, Roadmaster, or Fleetwood. It's the same tranny shared with a LOT of vehicles and still being used today, but there's a specific housing and bolt-up to mate with the LT1's on the B and D body cars.

N0DIH
04-23-07, 08:11 AM
How many times are you going to post good luck on this forum? Why??? Trying to get your post count up or something???

Good luck.

Jonas McFeely
04-23-07, 03:38 PM
How many times are you going to post good luck on this forum? Why??? Trying to get your post count up or something???

http://www.ezthemes.com/previews/c/catscratchfeverss.jpg

96Fleetwood
04-23-07, 06:01 PM
CPT is the way to go as has been mentioned! Welcome to the Fleetwood Club :thumbsup:

N0DIH
04-23-07, 07:27 PM
FOSS back?

Old Fleetwood
04-23-07, 07:57 PM
You can look at the Town Car and now say:
"What town was that in - Pompeii?" After you get the Fleetwood.
If you get one of Shane Cobb's transmissions, you will be set for a LONG, LONG time with a dead reliable time unless the car is a flooder.
In that case, of course, all bets are off. But, as you have seen on this board, the LT1 is as reliable as a boat anchor if it is given halfway decent maintenance. A little $$ spent for the tranny will give you a quarter million mile car unless there is some hidden electrical glitch.
The head-turning satisfaction of these 'ancient' Fleetwoods still amazes me.
I kicked mine after leaving the CVS parking lot on the way home today, just to blow the in-traffic dust out of the tail pipe. Nothing really wild. No tires spinning. Just up to 45. But it still let out a nice growl with the stock exhaust and you should have seen the two jr. high kids open-mouthed heads spin as I went by.
I thought my wife would never stop giggling.

TexasCadillac
04-29-07, 11:19 PM
just don't park on dead end streets and get a circle drive. J/K and GOOD LUCK! TexasCadillac

jayoldschool
04-30-07, 08:01 AM
Actually, the 94 B or D 4L60E trans won't work. It is a PWM soleniod version.

N0DIH
04-30-07, 11:42 AM
95 was first year of PWM trans, 94 wasn't. I know, I have one....

96 got new removable front housing and I believe a 6 bolt tailshaft instead of the 4 bolt.

Old Fleetwood
05-01-07, 08:26 PM
Did you get it?

1990CaddyBrougham
05-02-07, 11:33 AM
Nope. Went for way more then i wanted to pay. It had a rebuilt title, was smoked in. For the money id have into it with a new tranny, id rather buy a nicer, mechanically sound one.

Thanks for the info though, good to know

caddycruiser
05-03-07, 06:02 AM
Nope. Went for way more then i wanted to pay. It had a rebuilt title, was smoked in. For the money id have into it with a new tranny, id rather buy a nicer, mechanically sound one.

Thanks for the info though, good to know

That's good then. As usual, you still tend to find more of these cars that were abused or just not in that great of shape than you'd expect.

96Fleetwood
05-03-07, 02:11 PM
There were a few nice ones on eBay recently, keep looking and you will find a nice one for under $6K.:thumbsup: