: Brake Rotors

da_thrilla
04-22-07, 04:43 PM
Hi all,

I'm at 54k kms, and I was thinking of changing rotors...looked around online and I came upon these...would these be good choices? Or they are some after market crap?

The first link even offers black zinc coating...and i think thatll look good, since my cars black and tinted all around...

Please give any opinion you might have...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cadillac-SRX-04-05-06-F-R-D-S-BRAKE-ROTORS_W0QQitemZ170103039720QQihZ007QQcategoryZ335 64QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/2002-2003-2004-04-05-06-Cadillac-SRX-Drill-Slot-Rotors_W0QQitemZ290106589170QQihZ019QQcategoryZ335 64QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/06-05-04-Cadillac-SRX-Drilled-Rotor-Rotors-F_W0QQitemZ270112045012QQihZ017QQcategoryZ33564QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

da_thrilla
04-23-07, 06:58 AM
Any feedback would really be appreciated...

CaddyinKC
04-23-07, 07:30 AM
da_thrilla,

I've been considering doing this also, but I've been looking and searching in here and it doesn't seem anyone else here has attempted this mod yet. I know somebody on here was considering using the first vendor for pads or rotors. Hopefully he will chime in. I look forward to seeing what you end up with.

IMHO I don't think the black would look good. If you are putting drilled/slotted rotors on, with them being black nobody would notice.

z32drifter
04-23-07, 12:42 PM
Keep a few things in mind. 1 slotted rotors make noise when you use the brakes (it's a non-issue for most users but be aware of the fact) 2 drilled rotors tend to crack when exposed to larged thermal loads. 3 the zinc coated rotors only protect the center "hat" portion of the rotor, it wears off the rotors surface after a few stops. The rotors you find on e-bay are "aftermarket" with out knowing where and who made them, it's hard to tell if they are crap or not. Also the 3rd link list the incorrect bolt pattern for the SRX, could be a error on the listing??

robhersch
04-23-07, 12:45 PM
My thoughts for what they are worth: I would certainly not acquire any critical parts (like brakes) for my SRX from EBAY or any other questionable source; too high a probability of getting unknown quality for something that could be critical to your life!!
I recently installed brakes & rotors on our minivan: the chinese parts (machining looked great, material specs??? enscribed with a vibrator ???) were $19.95, the RayBestos parts (US DOT specs cast in) were $79.95. Our lives are worth more than the few extra bucks!!!
The problem with cheapies or knockoffs is that you never know when the failure could be critical!! Good luck!!

z32drifter
04-23-07, 01:11 PM
^^^ I would tend to agree, here's a link for EBC rotors "dimpled and slotted"
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3068A0A0.aspx?kc=ff1885
They are not cheap, but they are a quality company.

da_thrilla
04-23-07, 01:50 PM
Thanks for your feedbacks guys...

If anyone else has any other rotors in mind that would perform better than the sponges GM gave us, feel free to let me know!

Thanks...:alchi:

KMO
04-29-07, 09:40 PM
I just purchased a F/R set of drilled/slotted rotors from x4 off of eBay along with ceramic pads. I did this with my Buick Regal (slotted) a few years ago and had no issues. If you can wait a few weeks I will let you know. I bought them Friday night... don't expect to receive them for about a week. The seller had 100% positive feedback. That is pretty impressive not to have one negative comment.
I went with standard silver, thought about black, but the SRX has too many silver accents... thought I would stick with silver.

KMO
05-08-07, 10:48 PM
The drilled and slotted rotors arrived today along with ceramic pads. I hope to get the on this weekend.

CaddyinKC
05-09-07, 07:29 AM
KMO,

I can't wait to see the pictures and hear about installation and how well they work.

57TBird
05-09-07, 06:49 PM
I bought the black zinc coated, slotted and drilled - probably from the same ebay vendor. I put the backs on last weekend, with POSI low noise low dust pads. The fronts go on this week. No complaints at all so far. Much cleaner look behind the 20's than the old rusty ones. However, I'll reserve judgement on how improved the braking is until I get the fronts on.

CaddyinKC
05-09-07, 08:54 PM
I bought the black zinc coated, slotted and drilled - probably from the same ebay vendor. I put the backs on last weekend, with POSI low noise low dust pads. The fronts go on this week. No complaints at all so far. Much cleaner look behind the 20's than the old rusty ones. However, I'll reserve judgement on how improved the braking is until I get the fronts on.

Pics man, pics! :)

57TBird
05-10-07, 09:04 AM
I will take some pictures this weekend. I wanted to wait until I painted the calipers (caliper mounting bracket will be black and the calipers will be red), but I doubt I'll get to it this month. I also owe another thread the pictures of the trailer hitch, with the ball, so I'll do those too.

Autobahn_Burner
05-11-07, 09:19 AM
Da_Thrilla,

My recommendation is simple and easy, shop for GM AC Delco DuraStop Rotors, they are simply the best. Part #18A1754 (front) #18A2309 (rear). After years of experience driving beyond 140 mph on German autobahns with my 2004 SRX V-8 AWD, all I can say, these GM performance rotors work really fine. Do not shop for no-name aftermarket rotors.:tisk:

KMO
05-11-07, 10:31 AM
KMO,

I can't wait to see the pictures and hear about installation and how well they work.

I will have to wait a week or so... Mother's Day and wife's birthday are on Sunday... and she wouldn't take kindly to me spending the day doing brakes! :thepan:

john d
05-11-07, 01:51 PM
Da_Thrilla,

My recommendation is simple and easy, shop for GM AC Delco DuraStop Rotors, they are simply the best. Part #18A1754 (front) #18A2309 (rear). After years of experience driving beyond 140 mph on German autobahns with my 2004 SRX V-8 AWD, all I can say, these GM performance rotors work really fine. Do not shop for no-name aftermarket rotors.:tisk:
Please tell more!
How many miles before replacement and how that differs from original rotors....same info about the pads, what do you use and if different than original how do they perform, noise, dust, mileage?
Thanks....legally beyond 140 in the SRX....what fun that must BE!

CaddyinKC
05-11-07, 09:35 PM
Da_Thrilla,

Are these rotors slotted or drilled?

57TBird
05-13-07, 05:59 PM
I installed the new slotted/drilled black zinc coated rotors today. Comparing them with the stock rotors, they appear to be from exactly the same source originally, as even the tool marks match. Pictures of the front rotors below...

Original Rotor
Both old and new rotor
New Rotor - pre-breakin
New Rotor - post break in

TSS
05-14-07, 08:03 AM
Outstanding!

CaddyinKC
05-14-07, 11:17 AM
Very nice!

KMO
05-16-07, 02:41 PM
On your last view... the rotor looks like it is on the wrong side? I thought the slot should flow under the pad "in to out" not "out to in". the way you have it it would drive the gas and dust toward the center of the hub.

73Thumper
05-16-07, 02:52 PM
NOT on my SRX, but on another car, I just put drilled and slotted rotors on, and as "KMO" said - the rotors were directional, and instructions had pics, that being said mine are opposite yours. Also a FYI, the braking noise did increase slightly, not a grind, just slightly more noise. Took a few hundred miles but now the braking is MUCH improved over stock...

57TBird
05-16-07, 03:45 PM
I installed them per the instructions. Its actually not the slots, but the vanes that determine if a rotor is directional. If you have curved vanes, then they would need to sweep back. Straight and pillar vanes are uni-directional

The instructions stated... -"slotted brake rotors are sold in axle pairs and the easiest way to verify correct usage is to install the rotors on the side of the vehicle that results in the end of the slot nearest the outer edge of the rotor always contacting the brake pads first."

Over the last month or so, I have checked other cars with slotted rotors, and just about every high end car I've seen (BMW's in particular) with slotted rotors have them in the direction mine are in.

When I pull them back off to paint the calipers I'll double check to make sure the vanes are not the directional type. If so, I'll have to flip them.

KMO
05-16-07, 04:10 PM
Excellent... I will verify the same when I do mine this weekend.

73Thumper
05-17-07, 05:45 PM
:tisk: very interesting. My vanes are straight, pics they sent were the way I mounted them. Anyway in my non GM application, they work great. I will look at a Roush Mustang that parks by me at work, and see what direction his are as his was unaltered from Roush. I know I know - Ford...

57TBird
05-18-07, 06:18 PM
Just to be sure, I checked the original take-off rotors and shined a flashlight into the mounted ones. They are definitely not the curled vanes, so they are bi-directional.

I drove from ATL to Charlotte today, and it braked much smoother, especially at 80+ mph. Less vibration and noise was about the same as stock. After 300+ miles the wear pattern on the rotors is much smoother and not deeply grooved like the original.

Sometime in June I'll take the wheels off and paint the calipers and brackets, then more pictures.

KMO
05-18-07, 09:32 PM
Bottom line on the ones I purchased... they say to install with "curve left to right on LEFT side of vehicle" and visa versa.
So I contacted the company's support... here is the thread (recent to past):

They wrote...
Hi Kevin. You're correct refering to the vanes. Didin't mean to confuse you. The rotors were not directional until we added the slots and drill. If you look closely to the rotors, look at the slots. If it curves from left to right, that's "L". If curves from right to left, that's "R". Again the rotors were not directional until we add the slots and drills. The slots and the drills are directional.

Cheers!!
Will S. (Technical Support).

They wrote...
Hello there Kevin,
Good questions!!

We'll give our Tech Line a call tomorrow and see if they can provide us w/ any information regarding your questions.
But all our rotors are programmed to run directional. The "L" are marked for Driver Side and "R" for Passenger Side, which can also be install in any direction you prefer.

Most of the new Trucks and SUVs rotors come w/ pillars - stronger support for heavy vehicle. But we'll have to get back w/ you on this one – Thanks!!

Regards,
X4 Rotors

I wrote:
I received rotors for my 04 Cadillac SRX, but the "L" and "R" tags seem
wrong? The rotors I purchased from you do not seem to have directional
vanes, but pillars? My understanding is that if the vanes are not
directional, that preferable orientation is for the outer edge of the slots
to contact the brake pad first during normal rotation? Please help with my
confusion.

57TBird
05-18-07, 11:00 PM
KMO,

Since both of us bought bi-directional, pillar rotors, just like the originals, mounting in either direction should work. The preferrable way should always be to mount them in the direction per the mfg.'s instructions.

Let us know how well the rotors perform. Also, which pads did you use and how do they perform, and are they less "dusty"?

Thanks.

73Thumper
05-19-07, 02:25 PM
Since mine are "straight vane", I will mount per instructions. My vanes were designed for "brake dust evacuation" - and not cooling according to my vendors info. as the vanes are stock/straight. Here is some info that would show a different perspective, and it really makes sense if the rotors have directional internal vanes for enhanced cooling, which mine don't..

How do I tell what direction the rotors go on the car?

The StopTech AeroRotors® are directional. If they are not installed on the proper side of the vehicle, airflow will be restricted and cooling will be severely diminished. The vanes on a rotor act like a centrifugal air fan, drawing air from the inside of the rotor and flowing it to the outside. The vanes of a directional rotor should arch back like arms on a pinwheel. On the top side of the rotor, the vanes should curve toward the back of the car.

The slots on StopTech AeroRotors are cut in the OPPOSITE direction of the vanes. The pattern on a drilled AeroRotor also has the same appearance. The direction of the slots or hole pattern should not be used to determine what side of the vehicle to place a rotor. Different manufacturers may have different strategies for slot and hole patterns.

The only correct way to determine what side a directional rotor goes on is the internal vane direction.

da_thrilla
05-20-07, 06:55 PM
so, just to get a conclusion, did the braking performance get any better? becasue, sometimes, when i brake, i feel as if i wont stop in time...i feel the cars to heavy and the brakes are too weak, im looking for ways to strengthen the grip and lower the goddam brake dust.

73Thumper
05-21-07, 11:10 AM
Yes, I am curious to - as to a update on braking performance. When I made this update to my non SRX vehicle (drilled/slotted rotors and high quality pads) the change was not immediate, took about 300 to 500 miles. Now I can say in was significant and worth every penny - that being said it was pretty poor to start with, but I think my 07 SRX is already pretty good except at initial application where it seems to be sloppy, stand on them though I my perception of my 07 SRX is pretty darn good.

KMO
05-21-07, 01:13 PM
I have yet to get them on my vehicle... but I will let you know how well they behave as soon as I do.

57TBird
05-21-07, 02:53 PM
I'm going to the beach for a week on Friday. By the time I'm back I'll have 1000 miles on the new rotors/pads. I'll give an update then, but initial impressions are better feel, significantly less dust (now that the zinc coating has been worn off in the pad contact area), and improved overall stopping distance.

I-75 traffic on a holiday weekend should give them a good workout, then I'll know for sure how much better they are.

KMO
06-09-07, 09:56 PM
I got mine on today... 4 new drilled and slotted rotors w/ ceramic pads. I typically try to be gentle on cars for a few days after I do this to let the pads seat well. Nothing seems different so far, but as I have stated, I haven't run 'em hard. I will give more feedback in a couple weeks.

57TBird
06-24-07, 11:10 PM
As promised, here are front / back pictures with the painted rotors. I did the hub of the rotors and brackets in black, and the calipers in red. I did this with the rotors, brackets, calipers on the SRX, but it would have been much easier doing it when I replaced the rotors.

arandall850
06-25-07, 12:26 AM
On this subject what do you guys use for pads? I´ve always used Akebono ceramic pads on my european cars and liked them alot due to less noise/dust/ etc, but I´m seeing that they don´t seem to make one for the SRX.

KMO
07-02-07, 01:02 PM
So... as promised, here is my feedback.
Normal braking is the same.
Hard breaking is noisier, but you know you are stopping. I am not going to measure stopping distance, but it seems to stop quicker.
Odd thing in this all is I have more brake dust now with ceramic pads... makes no sense.

john d
07-02-07, 02:11 PM
[quote=57TBird;1124342]As promised, here are front / back pictures with the painted rotors. I did the hub of the rotors and brackets in black, and the calipers in red. I did this with the rotors, brackets, calipers on the SRX, but it would have been much easier doing it when I replaced the rotors.
Hey 57 - Thanks for the pics...real nifty handiwork you've done.
Our rotors sure look wimpy....like off of a VW Bettle or light weight bike.
No wonder the factory pads and rotors wear out so soon especially when mated to 20"s.