Cadillac Owners Forum banner

cracked block

921 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  eldorado1 
#1 ·
My eldorado has been steaming for a while. Well the starter went out the other day and I decided to change it myself after mych contemplation. NOt that bad a job at all. Took this novice about and hour with occasional trips to get more of the right tools to get at it. Tip of starter was broken but I was able to retrieve the broken peices. Cool! But, I noticed where she has been steaming from. A good sized crack through starter housing hole and continuing on to just below piston down level on "both" cylinders nearest starter. I was thinking of using some jb weld there but after draining the coolant I applied it and still get some seepage through the crack making the seal wet again. I tried everything that I could think of to get the water out of the block but it still comes seeping through. How can I drain the block properly? And do you teckies think that my patch would work to any degree?
Thanks

#2 ·
After draining it as completely as you can, heat it with a propane torch and boil out the residue. Apply the epoxy when the block is comfortable to touch so it will flow into the crack. I've seen epoxy repairs that have lasted for years. Around here, Devcon adhesives are the choice.

#5 ·
labor r&r engine > labor fix crack

I would think the block has a freeze plug on it somewhere, but I don't ever recall seeing one. I know the heads each have one... Maybe loosen the coolant crossover until coolant spills out. I believe the crossover gaskets are silicone and theoretically reusable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.