: How hard is it to change the plugs on a N*

cadillacmike68
04-22-07, 02:19 PM
Mine is at 102,000 miles. It's a 2000 ElDorado convertible.

It is not exhibiting any signs of misfire and still gets 28-30MPG on highway runs. So I'm in no rush to change them, but want to know if this is something i can do myself or do i risk tearing out the threads on the heads??? or something worse.

Also what is the best replacement spark plug to get? would it be replacemnt AC plugs, some bosch model or split fire or something else???

Thanks in advance :bouncy:

chazglenn3
04-22-07, 07:23 PM
They are not hard to change at all. Go with the AC-Delco plugs and have a good spark plug socket and a 6" extension for the rear bank. Of course, mine are the type with wires...I assume the coil-on-plug style you have could only be easier once you remove the coil packs.

misfit6794
04-22-07, 08:29 PM
Make sure you spray some penatrating oil before you try to remove the plugs. Most of mine were seized in the head, its pretty easy to snap them in half.

Ranger
04-22-07, 10:07 PM
Also what is the best replacement spark plug to get?
A/C Delco 41-987

jadcock
04-23-07, 07:58 AM
I used an electric impact gun to remove the plugs in my '97. It's the last tool I would have thought to use, but the guru said it was perfect for removing old plugs because the hammering action will break the seal at the thread before stripping it. Gotta say, it worked PERFECTLY. I changed mine at 140-some thousand miles. They all looked pretty good still. The new plugs didn't really change much...POSSIBLY a slightly smoother cold idle. Most of the platinum pads on the OE plugs were gone, but the gaps hadn't opened up that much. I'm glad I changed them, but I was real impressed with the longevity of the OE plugs.

EcSTSatic
04-23-07, 01:49 PM
100K is the recommended change interval but if you're getting that kind of mileage it's hard to justify changing them.
The N* is pretty easy to replace plugs on if you decide to do it.