: What Interval Are You Going To Change the STS-V Oil?

GM-4-LIFE
04-22-07, 01:27 PM
I was wondering how often you guys are going to be changing the oil in your STS-Vs. I get a few different answers from different sources.

I know the oil life monitor in GM vehicles is way too liberal when it comes to the percentages on the DIC. My wife's 2007 Escalade has gone almost 7,000 miles on conventional crap Chevron 5w30 motor oil and the engine oil life monitor says it still has 18% oil life left. Checking the dipstick, the oil is a very dark brown/almost black in color so I don't agree with what it says.

I don't want to go by the oil life monitoring system in the STS-V because it will probably go 10,000 miles based on what the percentage says in my STS-V. One dealership's service dept. told me change it every 10,000 miles and another said to change it every 3,000. Who knows what to believe when it comes to dealerships anyways.

I know the motor is factory filled with Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 is known to go long service intervals, but is it wise to wait a really long time on a supercharged application like what we have? I drive my STS-V hard and so I think maybe 4K-5K miles between oil changes is ok?

What are your thoughts on this?

SG

WillySTS
04-22-07, 03:43 PM
I changed my Mobil 1 out at 3,000 miles, but that was just to get rid of it since I know that Amsoil is a better oil. I put in Amsoil 0W-30 with Amsoils Ea oil filter and plan to change it whenever the light comes on. The car is equipped with an oil cooler and a "very specific" oil filter. Synthetic oil is "required" on this engine and going by the OLS is ok.

Davidstan
04-22-07, 03:53 PM
i plan on 5000 interval.

GM-4-LIFE
04-22-07, 07:14 PM
I changed my Mobil 1 out at 3,000 miles, but that was just to get rid of it since I know that Amsoil is a better oil. I put in Amsoil 0W-30 with Amsoils Ea oil filter and plan to change it whenever the light comes on. The car is equipped with an oil cooler and a "very specific" oil filter. Synthetic oil is "required" on this engine and going by the OLS is ok.

Good info and I have heard great things about Amsoil, however is it GM approved to be used in GM vehicles so that there aren't any warranty issues? I know it is tough for GM dealers to tell, but why take the chance?

I will most likely be running Mobil 1 5w30 only because it is readily available and approved and recommended (almost required) by GM along with a Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter. Mobil 1 5w30 along with a Mobil 1 EP filter should give the oil a little longer life. Mobil 1 can last a long time under normal driving conditions.

SG

ssstealth
04-22-07, 10:31 PM
My Fleetwood is now approaching 350,000 miles on Mobil1 changed at 7500 mile intervals... yes, original motor!

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/ssstealth/Fleetwood%20SS/7c42d855.jpg

I agree that it is tough after so many years of "Jiffy Lube 3000 mile" conditioning to allow a 15,000 mile interval, but with 9 quarts rolling around in there I am willing to trust them on this. I have read a couple GM reports where they did actual tests of the oil after long mileage runs and all was well.

Just remember that BIG disclaimer about the oil filter on page 6-14 of your owners manual! The warranty will not cover a wrong filter.

Kadonny
04-23-07, 01:25 PM
I changed it initially just a few weeks ago at 3500 miles. I'll probably take this oil up to 10k, so 7k between changes is about right.

CadV
04-23-07, 02:04 PM

You can run 25,000 miles with that Amsoil config. I use the same stuff.

GM-4-LIFE
04-23-07, 03:37 PM
You can run 25,000 miles with that Amsoil config. I use the same stuff.

I don't know if I would run any oil for 25,000 miles, no matter what guarantee they carry. It's the oil filter that you have to worry about when it comes down to it. A lot of the oils on the market will last a good amount of miles, but when the filter can't filter the oil anymore, that is what you have to worry about. That is why they say to change the oil in your car every 3,000-5,000 miles.

There are a few people that have posted on various automotive forums that they run Mobil 1 and at around 5,000 mile intervals, they replace the oil filter, top off the Mobil 1 and keep the old oil in the crankcase. They replace the oil every two oil filters and every 10,000 miles. Mobil 1 isn't that expensive to get me to do that, but people do it.

SG

Berger 93
04-23-07, 04:35 PM
I was going to follow about 10,000 per change.

I'm at 9,600 miles right now and my oil life indicated about 66% left . . . .

GM-4-LIFE
04-23-07, 06:52 PM
I was going to follow about 10,000 per change.

I'm at 9,600 miles right now and my oil life indicated about 66% left . . . .

Yeah, the oil life monitoring system is pure BS. If you went by that, you would be changing your oil when you hit about 15,000 miles OR MORE! What a joke!

SG

WillySTS
04-23-07, 10:26 PM
Yeah, the oil life monitoring system is pure BS. If you went by that, you would be changing your oil when you hit about 15,000 miles OR MORE! What a joke!

SG
In case you didn't know, ALL other luxury cars change there oils at 10,000 miles or more. My Onstar estimates my next oil change will come at approx 17,300 miles, which is ok. You should spend some time at the website, BOBSTHEOILGUY.com and check out the many used oil analysis of most any synthetic oil.

Besides, GM engineers designed the OLS, GM engineers designed your car. I don't see the problem.

P.S. My initials are B.S.

GM-4-LIFE
04-24-07, 02:33 AM
In case you didn't know, ALL other luxury cars change there oils at 10,000 miles or more. My Onstar estimates my next oil change will come at approx 17,300 miles, which is ok. You should spend some time at the website, BOBSTHEOILGUY.com and check out the many used oil analysis of most any synthetic oil.

Besides, GM engineers designed the OLS, GM engineers designed your car. I don't see the problem.

P.S. My initials are B.S.

Thanks for the info. I still don't think that the standard oil filters that GM uses are good enough to filter the oil properly for 10,000 miles.

Sorry about the BS remark. I didn't know your initials.

SG

WillySTS
04-24-07, 02:51 AM
Thanks for the info. I still don't think that the standard oil filters that GM uses are good enough to filter the oil properly for 10,000 miles.

Sorry about the BS remark. I didn't know your initials.

SG
No offense taken about my initials...the STS-V oil filter is very specific for that very reason, it will go the distance, and so will the Amsoil Ea line of filters.

If you haven't guessed by now, I am an Amsoil Dealer.

CadV
04-24-07, 10:08 AM
I don't know if I would run any oil for 25,000 miles, no matter what guarantee they carry. It's the oil filter that you have to worry about when it comes down to it. A lot of the oils on the market will last a good amount of miles, but when the filter can't filter the oil anymore, that is what you have to worry about. That is why they say to change the oil in your car every 3,000-5,000 miles.

There are a few people that have posted on various automotive forums that they run Mobil 1 and at around 5,000 mile intervals, they replace the oil filter, top off the Mobil 1 and keep the old oil in the crankcase. They replace the oil every two oil filters and every 10,000 miles. Mobil 1 isn't that expensive to get me to do that, but people do it.

SG

I ran the same oil on my CTS-V. I changed it at 15,000 miles before the new oil filters were released. Oil still looked good. There is a reason the new filters are so expensive, I think 20 bucks or so. The new filters are guaranteed 25k or 1 year.

GM-4-LIFE
04-24-07, 04:15 PM
WillySTS,

The owner's manual did say something about a "special" oil filter for the STS-V. I kind of gathered that you were an Amsoil dealer. Do you know if the Amsoil is GM approved to be used in factory Mobil 1 equipped vehicles? I think it is the GM4718M approval that is required from the oil manufacturer before it can be used in a factory filled GM vehicle. I know Amsoil is probably more than good enough, but did Amsoil get the approval?

CadV,

I couldn't run Mobil 1 in my 2006 CTS-V for more than 3,000 miles because the LS2 kept consuming it at a very rapid pace, especially if I drove it really hard. The engine oil level warning kept coming on every 3,000 miles and when I checked the dipstick, there wasn't any oil on it. I checked it every 1,000 miles to make sure there wasn't too high of a consumption issue. I am glad that the STS-V is not plagued with these issues. The dealer I purchased my STS-V from gives you the first 5 oil changes at no cost so I won't have to buy the oil and filter for the entire duration of my 24 month lease.

SG

Kadonny
04-24-07, 05:12 PM
I couldn't run Mobil 1 in my 2006 CTS-V for more than 3,000 miles because the LS2 kept consuming it at a very rapid pace, especially if I drove it really hard. The engine oil level warning kept coming on every 3,000 miles and when I checked the dipstick, there wasn't any oil on it. I checked it every 1,000 miles to make sure there wasn't too high of a consumption issue. I am glad that the STS-V is not plagued with these issues. The dealer I purchased my STS-V from gives you the first 5 oil changes at no cost so I won't have to buy the oil and filter for the entire duration of my 24 month lease.

SG

So I was not the only one in an 06 CTS-V with oil burning trouble. I bought my 06 SG CTS-V in March 06. Right from the factory the LS2 burned a quart of Mobil-1 every 750 miles. It did this consistently for 2 months until I got the dealer and GM to agree to do an engine swap after many, many service visits and tracking the oil consumption. Engine swapped at 3500 miles. The second LS2 burned a quart every 1000-1500 miles. Finally at 7000 miles I gave up. I went back to the dealer, handed him the keys and told him I had enough. We worked out a deal on my 07 STS-V and I have been happy ever since.

I loved driving the CTS-V, but the problems with it make it a real chore, especially when it's a daily driver.

Believe me, NO disrespect to the CTS-V, it was a kick ass car.

GM-4-LIFE
04-24-07, 06:34 PM
So I was not the only one in an 06 CTS-V with oil burning trouble. I bought my 06 SG CTS-V in March 06. Right from the factory the LS2 burned a quart of Mobil-1 every 750 miles. It did this consistently for 2 months until I got the dealer and GM to agree to do an engine swap after many, many service visits and tracking the oil consumption. Engine swapped at 3500 miles. The second LS2 burned a quart every 1000-1500 miles. Finally at 7000 miles I gave up. I went back to the dealer, handed him the keys and told him I had enough. We worked out a deal on my 07 STS-V and I have been happy ever since.

I loved driving the CTS-V, but the problems with it make it a real chore, especially when it's a daily driver.

Believe me, NO disrespect to the CTS-V, it was a kick ass car.

I know what you mean! I got my 2006 CTS-V in March of 2006 and right from the get go, it burned a quart every 1,000 miles so I just changed the oil every 3,000 miles and while it got better as the rings seated, it still burned oil when I traded it in at 10,000 miles. It all depended on how I drove the car. If I drove it easy, it didn't burn the oil and if I drove it hard, the oil seemed to pass right through the rings and resulted in blow-by. Mine was also a daily driver and while I loved the car, I grew very tired of shifting the car in traffic. The STS-V has been a joy to own. It is the ultimate Cadillac to date and I will be sad when my lease is up on it. Unless of course they come up with a better CTS-V or STS-V with more power and more luxury.

SG

WillySTS
04-25-07, 02:20 AM
WillySTS,

The owner's manual did say something about a "special" oil filter for the STS-V. I kind of gathered that you were an Amsoil dealer. Do you know if the Amsoil is GM approved to be used in factory Mobil 1 equipped vehicles? I think it is the GM4718M approval that is required from the oil manufacturer before it can be used in a factory filled GM vehicle. I know Amsoil is probably more than good enough, but did Amsoil get the approval?

CadV,

SG

On the approval of Amsoil in a GM vehicle, no, they did not get the certification. For some reason they don't feel it is necessary.

On that dealer that gives you the 1st 5 oil changes, that wouldn't be Martin Cadillac in West L.A., would it?... I see you are from the L.A. area...thats the dealer where I work, my name is Bill Spencer.

E-mail me at bills@martincad.com

GM-4-LIFE
04-25-07, 03:17 PM
On the approval of Amsoil in a GM vehicle, no, they did not get the certification. For some reason they don't feel it is necessary.

On that dealer that gives you the 1st 5 oil changes, that wouldn't be Martin Cadillac in West L.A., would it?... I see you are from the L.A. area...thats the dealer where I work, my name is Bill Spencer.

E-mail me at bills@martincad.com

Yes, I got my STS-V through Sherry Riker at Martin Cadillac in West L.A. on February 7, 2007. George and Sherry worked their magic on taking in my 2006 CTS-V on a 2007 STS-V.

That is cool that you work at my favorite Cadillac dealer! The dealer as a whole has been a joy to deal with when I got my wife's 2007 Escalade there and my STS-V.

What department do you work in?

I sent you an email!

SG

z06bigbird
04-29-07, 05:00 PM
$70k car value??? Changing oil at 3000 versus 5000 will cost me just a few hundred dollars over the lifetime of my car. Cheap insurance.

I would not go past 5000. No reason except for problems that some (all manufac) engine have had over the years.

I am very particular about my car. Hell, I do not spend as much on my health/maint as I do on my car.

CadV
04-30-07, 12:44 AM
You guys are living in the past of having to change your oil at 3-5k miles. Time to wake up oil has advanced greatly in recent years.

Just because you think or heard doesn't make it so. As Willy said do some research and quit believing old dogmas.

The new Amsoil oil and filters are awesome. You can run them for 25k or 1 year.

ryneV
05-03-07, 08:01 AM
Change your oil when you feel it's time, then send a sample out for analysis. Go by those results, I've been doing that for years with very interesting results. Eveeryone's results will be different based on driving style and LOCATION and what gets through the air filter. Try it and see, they will tell you how much "oil" life is left in your oil and how the engine is wearing.