: Hoarding parts for Older Cadillacs

Old Fleetwood
04-21-07, 02:18 PM
Maybe this even ought to be a sticky.
Anyhow what's the opinion about hoarding certain parts for older Cadillacs that might be easily damaged like:
>Headlight or parking light lenses/covers
>Tail lamp covers
>Bumper Rub Strips
>Certain "Chrome (plastic)" trim pieces
>Older Cadillac Medallions w/ Merlettes, wreaths and all
>The Stainless Panels on the sides of the 93-96 FWBs
>Maybe even a complete grille.
There are more items easily damaged, but the above are a start.
Picking up such items one at a time and salting them away in the basement before a dealer tosses them in the dumpster seems reasonable.
What do you think?

JTraik
04-21-07, 02:34 PM
That is an outstanding idea, there is no reason not to do such a thing. And if there are people on this forum trying to get rid of things like this that they consider junk, I would encourage them to send their "junk" off to people who will store it.

Another thing I try to do, is not to core items when I buy remans... Im sure they are very careless at these remanufacturing plants and several items do get scrapped for getting broken or something like that. That is a personal opinion though... :bouncy:

lochenjons
04-21-07, 02:51 PM
I've been doing this ever since I got my caddy. I've been picking up hood emblems, the "Cadillac" enscriptions that go on the grilles, and various ornaments and body trim pieces that I see in good condition. If anyone needs anything of that nature please let me know.

blackcadmatt
04-21-07, 04:01 PM
I have several hood ornaments for both cars. It seems that the bow jewel is the first thing that gets horked. I dread it when Sissy takes the car shopping to Ebensburg or Altoona.

The older fella I bought my Brougham from had two other Broughams, none of the three had a hood ornament.

If anyone needs a real nice Brougham gold-tone one let me know. The one I have must have resulted from eBaying while intoxicated:alchi: LOL!

deVille33
05-13-07, 10:36 PM
Yeah,
I love my 1977 CDV and that's why I've now have a whole collection. I have parted out a 1977 SDV for parts. I have another Coupe which I will probably part out sometime in the future. I compulsively pick up parts on ebay when the bidding doesn't go crazy. You never know when something will happen and you'll need that part. If you don't have one on hand, you may have a hard time finding one, when you need it.
I'm selling off parts I have for other cars, but I'm not selling off any 1977 Cadillac parts.

Jonas McFeely
05-13-07, 11:20 PM
Everytime i go to the junk yard i snag up a bunch of stuff i may need one day or think is cool. I have so many hoarded Cadillac things. I have a classic grille from an '88 Brougham,i have the clear turn signal lights with the golden wings from a mid '80s Brougham, countless emblems and hood ornaments. Even a Cimarron emblem! All kinds of screws and nuts and bolts. Spare AC controls and digital fuel meter for the HT4100. 2 Hubcaps from a '69 Eldorado, Cadillac cigarette lighters, the list goes on....

Scandalous
05-14-07, 06:10 PM
I've been doing this ever since I got my caddy. I've been picking up hood emblems, the "Cadillac" enscriptions that go on the grilles, and various ornaments and body trim pieces that I see in good condition. If anyone needs anything of that nature please let me know.

if you have the trunk mounted Cadillac script, I would be interested. email me, or PM me, or something... Abel1122@yahoo.com

96Fleetwood
05-15-07, 07:38 AM
You should see the vast amount of parts my Dad has in his warehouse.

Not to mention the parts I have for '93-96 Fleetwoods sitting in my storage unit here in Chicago. I have a spare opti, spare waterpump, spare serpentine belt, all brand new chrome plastic molding, a couple of spare tires & wheels.. just too much to list.

I always browse eBay for parts just in case because these cars are hard to find intact at the yard.

z06bigbird
05-15-07, 01:52 PM
If you want to impress YOURSELF, look for the black spun aluminum wheels that came on two years of the SDV in the late 80s. Probably 86 and 87. They were a black rim, and if you looked closely, you would see tons of concentric circles on them. They were very light (aluminum). I have seen used wheel shops price them at $600 each. Plus the big wire wheel cover.

Same fitment as stock gm RWD wheel.

Jonas McFeely
05-15-07, 03:23 PM
If you want to impress YOURSELF, look for the black spun aluminum wheels that came on two years of the SDV in the late 80s. Probably 86 and 87. They were a black rim, and if you looked closely, you would see tons of concentric circles on them. They were very light (aluminum). I have seen used wheel shops price them at $600 each. Plus the big wire wheel cover.

Same fitment as stock gm RWD wheel.

Sweet, i love useless facts! Any pictures of one?