: XM quality vs FM, CD's

cguthrie
04-21-07, 07:58 AM
I recently purchased a used 2005 STS. The sample XM stations sound extremely tinny and AM like. Are the music stations of similar sound to FM or CD's?

Many thanks,
CG
2005 STS 1SG 24K
1999 STS 150K

Jesda
04-21-07, 09:34 AM
GM uses outdated XM hardware, which sounds inferior to the stuff off the shelf. However, it should sound a lot better than AM like (more like FM like), but won't be nearly as good as your CDs. The demo channel you're hearing has very little bandwidth devoted to it, so thats an issue as well.

For $13 a month, I suggest subscribing and trying it. Some channels sound better than others. I suggest using Watercolors 71 to sample the audio quality.

997tt
04-21-07, 10:27 AM
CD's will sound best.
Most XM channels will sound better then FM (more bass)

I don't listen to FM anymore since I suscribed. /end thread.

Caroutisine
04-21-07, 12:44 PM
CD's sound best, but I definately think the FM stations sound better than XM.

IndyJeff
04-21-07, 02:15 PM
I recently purchased a used 2005 STS. The sample XM stations sound extremely tinny and AM like. Are the music stations of similar sound to FM or CD's?

As others have said, the free sample stations are not great. Also remember to adjust your audio settings for the XM, as the car will remember different settings from your radio or CD. To my ears, XM in the STS sounded a bit muffled, so I boosted the bass a little, the midrange a little, and the treble a lot.

The same XM stations in a Lexus LS460 sounds much better than in the STS for some reason.

Most XM stations give you about a 64Kbps stream, which is about half of the data rate of what you get from downloaded music from iTunes and other music services (XM uses a different compression algorithm, so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison with Apple's AAC/Mpeg-4 Audio), and a fraction of the bit rate available on an audio CD.

Remember that satellite radio is not designed to provide audiophile quality sound, or even CD quality. It's meant to give you a ton of options, with good sound quality, that is free of commercials and range limitations.

Aurora5000
04-21-07, 02:34 PM
I got news for you, it is NOT commercial free even though their XM website says it is. Now most channels have commercials. I can get that from FM. :rant2:

mike sts
04-21-07, 04:22 PM
I have a 2005 sts as well owned the previous generation sts with delco bose. i have found the old delco bose with 4 individualy amplified speakers blow away this 12 speaker crap. if you go to a audiophile shop your going to get the best possible sound from 2 to 4 high end stereo speakers rather than 12 smaller ones and a sub

Cajonkev
04-21-07, 05:14 PM
I got news for you, it is NOT commercial free even though their XM website says it is. Now most channels have commercials. I can get that from FM. :rant2:

Blame XM legal.

The reason there are commercials and why you get several channels with same/similar type programming is that XM licensed content from other providers.

On the music front it was/is from Clear Channel and after a year of commercial free CC found a loophole in their agreement which allowed them to start playing ads. To counter XM added additional channels of like programming without ads. So now you have some with, and some without.

Once the other content providers were satisfied that the legal ground was solid, they too started streaming ads in their content as well...

Jesda
04-21-07, 05:30 PM
Most channels do -not- have commercials. The channels with ads are talk stations that take breaks and the six music channels owned by Clear Channel, and that totals to about five or six redundant channels that you can call XM to have blocked so your TuneSelect feature doesn't call them up.

The CC-owned XM channels also have poorer sound quality, so I avoid them anyway.

Benjamin Simon
04-21-07, 09:17 PM
Which ones are the CC-owned channels?

IndyJeff
04-22-07, 12:34 AM

Sorry, you're wrong. A few have commercials, most do not.

Jesda
04-22-07, 01:48 AM
Which ones are the CC-owned channels?

The channel names say "cm" at the end to indicate that there are commercials.

Wiseguy2
04-23-07, 01:24 AM
I have the XM activated in my STS but I usually am listening to Sirius :)

Aurora5000
04-23-07, 11:26 AM
Jesda, Indy Jethro...
I've got news for you, the music channels DO have commercials. I listen to 60s,70s,80s on XM 6-7-8. Also 20 thru 24 and 46 and 49. They are all music channels and all have commercials. They play 3 or 4 songs then commercials. My Nav display tells me what the commercial is and the phone number to contact.

I don't know what channels you are referring to in your entries but it is not the ones I listen to.

Jesda
04-23-07, 12:32 PM
I have an XM tuner on my desk 24/7. [MyFi portable rocks!] Only the "cm" channels and talk channels have ads, and they've been removed from my presets. There are promos for XM content on other channels, but no actual advertisements from sponsors.

http://www.xmfan.com/ -- Excellent XM radio forum as well as a local (to St Louis) and online XM hardware store.