: 73 Deville Dash Viny Dash Repai

73DeVilleRatRod
04-20-07, 06:47 PM
I just tore out the whole dash in my 73 deville, and i was wondering what would be the best way to harden the vinyl so that it could be sanded smooth? I'm planning on painted it after i get it smooth, but i would to make it hard like plastic, fill some stuff with bondo to make the holes go away. I was hoping either:
A. I could get a hardening product to do it (what is it?)
B. An after market solution for a replacment dash cap(where do i get it?)

Thank you,
oh BTW 73 cadillac sedan deville.

Old Fleetwood
04-20-07, 08:33 PM
What about plain old fiberglass, just like a Corvette or boat body?
But God help you if you hit it in a frontal crash.

73DeVilleRatRod
04-20-07, 09:59 PM
I pray for the other person thats gets hit, lol. I was hoping i could just use fiberglass hardener and lay it down on the dash then sand the heck out of it.

Old Fleetwood
04-20-07, 10:10 PM
Not knowing the actual material of the dash, I'd advise against it.
You might end up with one helluva bag of mush.
I've had that kind of reaction with my doings on my boats, either getting the resin or hardener contaminated or not following directions or whatever and ending up with a mess that was sheer, sticky, gooey hell to clean up. :eek: :crybaby: :thepan:

The opposite, of course, is when you use too much hardener and the ambient temperature is too high and everything kicks too quickly and your tools are stuck to what you're working on.
Then you have to chisel or grind those tools out of the "sculpture" you made.
Again - - -:eek: :crybaby: :thepan:

73DeVilleRatRod
04-20-07, 10:20 PM
so what should i use? i can't seem to find a ABS cap or anything. I'm really stumped. I'm almost to the point where i want to lay down some spray adhesive and just lay down material over it and not worry about it.

Old Fleetwood
04-21-07, 12:06 AM
Unless the dash pad is like some cobblestone street, you might want to get hold of something like Naugahyde - like was kicked around on threads on this board a short while ago.
You might want to have a look at the "back issues" and see how others dealt with this problem.
I had good luck with Naugahyde on my boat using the stuff. Most marine supply houses and marinas can give you pointers on how to apply it as can fabric stores and the like. The fabric stores will surely be cheaper since - if you go in to the average boatyard and you're driving a Cadillac - they will expect you will have a Megayacht. Therefore you will be expected to have $$$$$ dribbling out your butt and pay accordingly unless they get to know you.

Old Fleetwood
04-21-07, 12:54 AM
Look what popped up in the above post when I tried to print the word (I'll split it into two words) Mega Yacht.
Geez Louise! The software's runnin' wild! :eek:

Brother_B
04-21-07, 11:27 AM
The mega yact thing is hilarious.

I would think hardener alone would melt that stuff!
My buddy did what you are talking about, I'll try to find out what he did.

Old Fleetwood
04-21-07, 03:07 PM
Yep - Anyhow, I always went to the "Blue Collar" boatyards where there was a great mix of people who didn't try to impress the next guy. Some drove Cadillacs because they LIKED them and didn't give a damn about impressing anybody.
There were cops, ex-cons, dentists, carpenters, truckers, engineers (both railroad and engine designers), you name it. Everybody got down in the dirt and helped everybody else.
I put BMW engines in my old Chris Craft when BMW sold them at fire sale prices trying to get a toe hold in the market in 1983. And when I got stuck with a problem, there was a professor of chemistry who helped me with the fiberglass stuff. He had a huge sailboat but knew how to work fiberglass and taught me a lot.
So don't be afraid to look on this BB and its back issues nor to ask for help.