: 2007 Escalade Wind Noise Total Fix from the Corporation!

BWatkins
04-20-07, 12:37 PM
Gentlemen:

Steve, the bass player at my church, is a noise engineer at the GM Proving Grounds in Milford, Michigan where the Escalade was engineered. He told people and the job about the wind noise problem I had at the driver's side door. Lo and behold, the wind noise engineer (Michelle) who worked on the GMT series trucks invited me to the Proving Grounds for a total fix of the problema and a tour.

The actual problem is this:

The door is not aligned correctly and it allows wind inside the cabin. period.
The fix is to realign the door so that it closes properly. It's not the mirror.

Also: My vehicle was assembled in Arlington, TX. Michelle at the proving grounds said that at one point, the robots that lay in the windsheild were not working. So, the glass was installed by humans.

There is a slight dip in my glass on the passenger side that can cause noise. She says that if I want it replaced free of charge, I can tell the dealer, ANY DEALER!, to do it and it must be done. Period. She even gave me her number so that if any dealers gave me problems, she'd "inform" them of the situation.

I don't actually hear the noise that she's talking about, but if I do, I'm darn sure gonna have the dealer replace my windshield.

Lastly, all dealers should know about the fix at this point. So don't let them play you cheap.

The tour of the Proving Grounds was a blast. +100 mph on an oval test track is something to see! GM wins with me this time!

Gotta love living in Detroit.

Questions? reply in the thread.

caddycruiser
04-20-07, 12:48 PM
Very cool! Both an informative answer from the people who actually did the design, and some fun.

urbanski
04-20-07, 01:16 PM
awesome story!

hcvone
04-20-07, 02:41 PM
My dealers service manager told me it was a door problem as well, my 07's do not make noise like some of the 07's I have been in. Good post. :)

Dif
04-20-07, 04:05 PM
I had extensive things done to mine trying to rid the wind noise and it didn't help a real lot until they finally aligned my doors.
Definitely more enjoyable now and not so much an issue.
At least 90% of the wind noise is gone.
It's not totaly quiet and don't think it will be simply because the noise now, is outside air rushing around and not from air entering the cabin.
I just wonder if it's even something that can be fixed to the point where it's totaly quiet like one would expect.

Jesda
04-20-07, 05:11 PM
Thats a hell of a story! Sounds like you had a good time.

Kickboxer
04-21-07, 03:59 AM
Did the door align myself and it helped big time.

I'd like to hear more about the dip in the glass and the area that they said it was.

BWatkins
04-23-07, 01:15 PM
The dip in the glass is at the top where it meets the roof at the weatherstripping. If you hold a credit card on the glass and the roof, it should be level. On my passenger side, I can rock the credit card back and forth. That means that it's set in too far! Check it out and let me know what you think

bdquail@aol.com
04-26-07, 06:52 PM
I have a brand new '07 Cadillad EXT Escalade. It has the most wind noise of any car I have ever owned, even more than some convertibles, with the top down! I have owned about 80 cars!

I put electrical tape over the fairing that surrounds the right rear door, and that helped a lot. Of course I can't leave it on, and there is still noise coming from other areas! Help! Bob.

Dif
04-26-07, 09:29 PM
I have a brand new '07 Cadillad EXT Escalade. It has the most wind noise of any car I have ever owned, even more than some convertibles, with the top down! I have owned about 80 cars!

I put electrical tape over the fairing that surrounds the right rear door, and that helped a lot. Of course I can't leave it on, and there is still noise coming from other areas! Help! Bob.

When you say fairing , do you mean the window trim on the outside of the window?
The big plastic thingy?
If you do a search for 07 wind noise you will find a real lot of posts on this.
Even on the Avalanche Forum they all have the same problem and Lots of posts with not much results either.
Lots of info and lots of fixes and bulletins from GM.
None that I've seen work totally but you also need to go to your dealer and let them know.
It goes on and on but mirrors and door alignment is a start and let them know there are Bulletins from GM.
On this subject,.. since i had my doors aligned it is a lot better but the odd thing that happens is..
I took a 250 mile trip this weekend and the wind noise was noticeable as the doors alignment doesn't.. in my case anyway.. totally stop all the noise but...
we stopped to eat and once back on the road the noise was barely noticable as compared to the first part of the trip.
Someone else mentioned the same thing happening to them.
Just an odd thing that happens for who knows what reason.
Another mystery to the wind noise.. :confused:

pecks_escalade
06-20-07, 12:01 PM
HI, This Total Fix is it TRUE? because my service manager does not know about this and Cadillac does not know about this... Is there any hard facts about this? I spoke to cadillac on ths phone and explained to them about the wind noise problem and the total fix.. they thought i was crazy.... Someon please get back to me...

BWatkins
06-20-07, 12:50 PM
I'm the guy! The problem is with the driver door and the windshield. Have your dealer call and get the fix! I do not have a TSB number, but if they play crazy with you call caddy customer service or seek out a new dealer. I assure you, this fix totally eliminated the wind noise problem. If you want send me a PM and I'll give you my phone number so that we can talk. I also had (or have somewhere) the ph# of the GM engineer that helped me.

hcvone
06-20-07, 02:09 PM
I have talked to two different service managers and they no nothing about any fix, one called their area manager and he knew nothing about it either. My dealer will do anything I asked them to do, but my two 07's have a very minor wind noise, don't want to make it worse. :)

sj1400
06-21-07, 11:56 AM
HCVONE,

My dealer said the exact same thing on visit 3 regarding wind noise. They didn't want mess with the door alignment again in fear of making the noise worse. I feel it's improved but still unacceptable when it's very windy. With the radio off in certain windy situations I can hear a sligh whistle.

Much better then when the vehicle was new but still room for improvement. According to my dealer i'm not the only one that has requested a permanent fix.

Krug Ford
06-21-07, 01:17 PM
Alot of it is depending on who you know.

I am glad it is fixed for you.

Dif
06-22-07, 02:15 PM
It's great when a dealer will help with this wind issue but I can understand they can only do so much and/or spend so much time trying to fix it.
It's a "design" flaw from the Factory and to fix these vehicles,.. specifically the 07 EXT and 07 Avalanche,.. is time consuming because it is a, try this or that, and then road test it to see the results.
A dealer could spend a week or more trying to get it totally fixed,.. if they're lucky!
There are so many posts about it everywhere and not an isolated problem.
The door and weather seal setup is different with the new model design and the doors are a bit flimsy and although the lines look good,..for some reason don't line up good with the body seals.
The front doors can be aligned somewhat but there's no room for alignment of the rear doors,.. on mine at least.
Aligning the front doors helped a little on mine but not totally.
Outside wind noise is one thing,.. but this problem is wind noise entering the cabin and creating a whistling.
The amount of noise varies with the weather and/or the settings with the heat or AC at any given time.
I have times when there is no wind noise at all ( rare when that happens ) and times when there is loud whistling wind noise from outside air entering..
If you really want to see how many areas there are the air can get in or out of the cabin then try this.
Close all the doors and windows and turn the AC on high.
From outside the vehicle put your hand against where the doors meet the body and the door handles, around the mirrors and all the edges of the door windows.
Air is rushing out of so many places it's hard to believe.
Yes, all vehicles have some type of air venting from the cabin but this is more than just venting.
It's lack of proper insulation and sealing with misalignment added.
Anyway, there's hundreds of posts on this issue with all the info on fixes, bulletins, and personal attempts at fixing.
Just do a search for "07 ext wind noise" and you'll find Plenty to read.
Check the 07 Avalanche forum also and you'll see it's a carbon copy of wind noise posts just like on this forum.

jaycough
06-23-07, 03:15 PM
someone said there are TSB's... do they exist? if so anyone have copies?

Dif
06-23-07, 08:33 PM
someone said there are TSB's... do they exist? if so anyone have copies?
Here's all the links to posts in this forum on the 07 Wind Noise Issue.
Included in some of these posts are the Bulletins and actually a PDF copy of one of them.
The Dealers know about the Bulletins and you have to Insist they track them down if they tell you other wise.
As far as getting the work done using the the Bulletin ( at the dealer or otherwise ) and having it fix the Issue is another story.
All the info is in these links.

This is just some of the info in these posts:
Subject Power Folding Outside Rearview (OSRV) Mirror Whistle Noise (Add
Foam) #06-08-64-012 - (03/17/2006)

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum/98875-07-ext-wind-noise.html?highlight=07+ext+wind+noise (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum/98875-07-ext-wind-noise.html?highlight=07+ext+wind+noise)

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum/102875-air-noise-solution-2007-ext.html?highlight=07+ext+wind+noise (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum/102875-air-noise-solution-2007-ext.html?highlight=07+ext+wind+noise)

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum/100609-wind-noise-75-gone.html?highlight=07+ext+wind+noise (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum/100609-wind-noise-75-gone.html?highlight=07+ext+wind+noise)

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum/100608-door-hinge-adjustment-07s-service-proceedure.html?highlight=07+ext+wind+noise (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum/100608-door-hinge-adjustment-07s-service-proceedure.html?highlight=07+ext+wind+noise)

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum/93159-2007-wind-noise.html?highlight=07+ext+wind+noise (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum/93159-2007-wind-noise.html?highlight=07+ext+wind+noise)

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum/96476-07-ext-wind-noise.html?highlight=07+ext+wind+noise (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum/96476-07-ext-wind-noise.html?highlight=07+ext+wind+noise)

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum/78208-07-escalade-issues.html?highlight=07+ext+wind+noise (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum/78208-07-escalade-issues.html?highlight=07+ext+wind+noise)

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum/69203-07-escalade-whistling-noise-issue.html?highlight=07+ext+wind+noise (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum/69203-07-escalade-whistling-noise-issue.html?highlight=07+ext+wind+noise)

If you ever get your wind noise fixed post the results as everyone will want to know since it is a Wide Spread issue with Very Limited success.
Good Luck :bigroll:

jaycough
06-25-07, 09:27 AM
great thanks for the back-up, will try this week, but going on vacation and may bnot get into dealer unitl 7/16

pecks_escalade
06-27-07, 05:43 PM
BWATKINS, i am un-able to PM you i do not have over 20post.. Please e-mail me @ pecks_escalade@yahoo.com...

pemarsh
07-05-07, 07:40 PM
so is there now a total fix?????

pemarsh
07-05-07, 09:13 PM
also...can you lemon law this wind noise?

hcvone
07-06-07, 07:11 AM
No to both. :)

pemarsh
07-06-07, 10:23 AM
not being able to lemon law this is sort of nuts.

has anyone tried? im sure some of you must have gone through the process.

i think im going to wait for the 08's to come out and see if there is wind noise in them.

from what i hear, the 08's should be on lots within a few weeks.

TYREEV
10-29-07, 08:37 PM
I had all doors re aligned and there was more wind noise! I traded my 2007 for the 2008 and there is virtually no more noise!

SWRidin
03-10-08, 04:45 PM
Wind noise sucks

sinbad1976
03-12-08, 01:55 PM
I have had my door aligned, new better design window clips and seals. Notting has worked. I have the windnoise. Its very annoying driving around 40 mph and you got to hear this noise in a 60k plus truck. I have driving other trucks with out the noise. I am in the middle of my lemmon law case. They did the final fix over a week ago. Now its going to bbs.

Sinbad

NB2K
03-23-08, 11:09 AM
Wow!

I have been lurking here for awhile, I have been considering an Escalade EXT to replace a 2006 F-150 King Ranch.
The EXT has it all, obviously, but hell, the wind noise issue is scaring me away.
The KR is really quiet at highway speeds.

I'll have to test drive an '08 very carefully.

jaycough
03-23-08, 12:47 PM
No to both. :)

Carl you are talking out your butt again, you are right no to total fix, AND YOUR ARE WRONG ON LEMON LAW,

YES YOU CAN GET LEMON LAW FOR WIND NOISE. READ THE POSTS.

ONE GUY GOT HIS TRUCK REPLACED, SINBAD HAS HEARING ON 4/3/08 AND I AM IN MIDDLE OF MINE AS WELL.

AS A MODERATOR, WE EXPECT MORE

jaycough
03-23-08, 12:55 PM
Gentlemen:

Steve, the bass player at my church, is a noise engineer at the GM Proving Grounds in Milford, Michigan where the Escalade was engineered. He told people and the job about the wind noise problem I had at the driver's side door. Lo and behold, the wind noise engineer (Michelle) who worked on the GMT series trucks invited me to the Proving Grounds for a total fix of the problema and a tour.

The actual problem is this:

The door is not aligned correctly and it allows wind inside the cabin. period.
The fix is to realign the door so that it closes properly. It's not the mirror.

Also: My vehicle was assembled in Arlington, TX. Michelle at the proving grounds said that at one point, the robots that lay in the windsheild were not working. So, the glass was installed by humans.

There is a slight dip in my glass on the passenger side that can cause noise. She says that if I want it replaced free of charge, I can tell the dealer, ANY DEALER!, to do it and it must be done. Period. She even gave me her number so that if any dealers gave me problems, she'd "inform" them of the situation.

I don't actually hear the noise that she's talking about, but if I do, I'm darn sure gonna have the dealer replace my windshield.

Lastly, all dealers should know about the fix at this point. So don't let them play you cheap.

The tour of the Proving Grounds was a blast. +100 mph on an oval test track is something to see! GM wins with me this time!

Gotta love living in Detroit.

Questions? reply in the thread.

BWatkins, what Steve and Michelle got to say now? 4 TSB'S and nothing

TSS
03-23-08, 06:51 PM
Carl you are talking out your butt again, you are right no to total fix, AND YOUR ARE WRONG ON LEMON LAW,

Are you kidding me? Carl's post you quoted was from 8 1/2 months ago. Regardless, he does a great job with this forum. You really need to focus your hostility and anger elsewhere. :tisk:

Boombotz
03-24-08, 12:05 AM

ONE GUY GOT HIS TRUCK REPLACED, SINBAD HAS HEARING ON 4/3/08 AND I AM IN MIDDLE OF MINE AS WELL.

Completly uncalled for.
We are only human.
You should also have a lot more respect for the moderators on this site. Especially Carl as much as he helps out here.

hcvone
03-24-08, 10:46 AM

Jay, thanks for adding your stupidty to this thread, when I posted this response last July no one was getting their trucks replaced due to wind noise, almost a year later they are getting new trucks. Strike one.

jaycough
03-24-08, 01:45 PM
didn't see post date. so shoot me. sorry.

however, your position of wind noise being covered under lemon law has not been positive. look at post going back several months. There has been many buybacks for wind noise and other items items, which in your opinion do not impair the use or value of the vehicle. We had this discussion in the past. Your replies to forum users has been tempered and you suggest an attorney on several occasions.

The lemon law process in almost all states do not require an attorney, it is clear how the consumer is to proceed and it is designed to be lawyer free. If it fails then get an attorney. I run rings around most attorneys anyway (hope not an insult).

So i get private message for saying what I said, which in my opinion was tempered on my part. If that is offensive then the guy who says

hcvone
03-24-08, 02:49 PM
No need for any shooting here. Read my posts, I say talking to a lawyer can help so you say the right things and get satifaction faster, and in some of my posts about the problem the people asking did not want to "go thru the process" , they either do not have the time, or did not care about spending the money on a lawyer. I talked to a lawyer that handles lemon law when my engine blew, didn't need a lawyer, but some of the things they told me to say made my process go very quick, so it was worth it even though I paid for their time, plus I have a lawyer that works for us, but he does not know about lemon law issues. I will always tell someone to check with a lawyer to see what their rights are, it varies so much from state to state, sorry you have a lawyer problem, but I work with them everyday, they have their place. In terms of the wind noise issue, I said it will make no difference in value if you trade in your Escalade, dealers usually do not even drive your trade ins, or care less about wind noise issues, it might make a difference selling private, but even then a buyer may not even notice depending on what they are driving at the time.

tnhotrod
03-10-10, 03:24 PM
I had a windnoise issue and was told they changed the weatherstriping around the doors. Not actually sure if they did or not. Did not seem to make any difference to me though. Maybe its the door alignment also.

LITTLEELVISDAN
03-10-10, 05:32 PM
There is a TSB for this people... Its a door re-align issue. See 2009 TSB list thread

IgotGAME
03-10-10, 07:07 PM
There is a TSB for this people... Its a door re-align issue. See 2009 TSB list thread

got a link to the TSB? tried to search for it on the forum without much success

LITTLEELVISDAN
03-11-10, 08:11 AM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/194160-2009-tsb-list.html

See the door adjustment one

IgotGAME
03-11-10, 08:17 AM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/194160-2009-tsb-list.html

See the door adjustment one

Will they honor this on a 2007 EXT? The TSB seems to only apply to 2009 vehicles.

LITTLEELVISDAN
03-11-10, 09:01 AM
I think its the same problem 2007 and up. At least it will give them a clue that its not the weather stripping so they can go right to the door alignment.

qk94dawg
09-04-10, 11:25 AM
Hey Guys, I just purchased a '07 Escalade and while my front doors seem dead silent, I am getting a wind noise from the rear driver door (sounds like from the top of the door). The dealer already "adjusted" the door, but the problem doesn't seem to be any better.

RippyPartsDept
09-04-10, 01:23 PM
the window frames also have wind noise issues
PM me your VIN and I can check the number and pricing/availability for you.
If you're under warranty just schedule an appointment at your dealer.

qk94dawg
09-04-10, 01:59 PM
the window frames also have wind noise issues
PM me your VIN and I can check the number and pricing/availability for you.
If you're under warranty just schedule an appointment at your dealer.

I shot you an email. :)

RippyPartsDept
09-04-10, 02:11 PM
reply sent... looks like you need to double check your VIN#

qk94dawg
09-04-10, 02:17 PM
The VIN was wrong, email replied.

HC21
10-14-10, 07:07 PM
My '02 does the same thing. Ad far a I can tell is the drivers door 'sags' at the rear end causing the top front to allow wind noise in.
I find it goes away if I lift up on the door as I close it.
I think it happens to the driver door more often as it is usually the most used door.

Does anyone know how to adjust (tighten) the hinges or is it a dealer fix only?

doctordog
10-14-10, 09:20 PM
i had mine done at the dealership, now its like riding in a tomb

RippyPartsDept
10-14-10, 09:40 PM
usually pins and bushings on the hinges are what's needed... about $50 in parts i think

TabletDash
10-11-13, 03:18 PM
I was having this issue and found that a little hot glue or silicone will fix the problem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0g5nK9P6wc&feature=share&list=UUw98-r0DUCUrpEK1fi0LUPw

Sandskay
02-25-14, 01:16 PM
BWatkins,
My problem is with a replaced door on a 2006 esv. I did not have the noise prior to the deer destroying the door. Is the problem the same as the 2007

Sandskay, Please update your profile to show your correct age, car owned and time zone (unless you live in London).

BTW, "BWatkins" has not been in this thread since 2007. Look at the posts before you shotgun out replies. You might want to set your profile preferences to show latest threads first.............

BWatkins
02-25-14, 06:48 PM
Well, I'm back:

The problem was only relative to 2006-2008 escalade models. By 2009 they had it down to a science.

Be Well!

Mikes07
02-25-14, 08:50 PM
I checked mine with a credit card and there is at least a 3/16 gap. My card doesn't sit flat at all any where across the windshield.

BWatkins
02-26-14, 12:37 AM
My mistake: 2007-2009 GMT style Escalades only.