: Installing E&G Grille

Fyreman235
04-19-07, 03:04 PM
I just ordered a classic mesh grille for my 05. The gray plastic has been driving me crazy since I bought the vehicle. To me, it would look cheap on a Chevy Cavalier. However, I have been reading a few horror stories about installation. I am not a super mechanic, and am wondering whether I should pay a body shop and save the hassle. Any advice from people how have insgtalled one?

TSS
04-19-07, 03:16 PM
Tough job to make it look right by all accounts.

tonygxp
04-20-07, 01:05 AM
pay WHATEVER THEY ASK!!!!! I did my own and would not suggest it to anyone who is not familiar with "making panels fit" and fabricating as you go lol... did you get the Upper & Lower?

make sure they/you spray all the stuff behind the grill opening flat black, otherwise it'll look funny from certain angles..

Fyreman235
04-20-07, 11:59 AM
Thanks, Tony. I just talked to the company who is shipping it to me, and they claim that it is not difficult. However, I will talk to my local body shop for a quote before I start. I don't understand what "making panels fit" means. Will I have to do some bending or cutting, or just forcing.

I do have some high-temperature black spray paint that I will plan on using.

thanks again for your reply.

tonygxp
04-21-07, 01:04 AM
Thanks, Tony. I just talked to the company who is shipping it to me, and they claim that it is not difficult. However, I will talk to my local body shop for a quote before I start. I don't understand what "making panels fit" means. Will I have to do some bending or cutting, or just forcing.

I do have some high-temperature black spray paint that I will plan on using.

thanks again for your reply.

you'll know what "making panels fit" means when you attempt to put it in lol.. mine was difficult, maybe yours wont be.. But, if you start it, you'll want to finish and after a certain point, there's no turing back, Good Luck, mine came out nice after many hours of "in & out", finally realizing my header panel/bumper needed to be trimmed and pulled together, secured with my own fasteners, as the "pop in" plastic rivets they provided were too flimsy to hold the grill flush with the panel..

Frank Dzierzewski
04-22-07, 08:01 PM
Hi I just installed a E&G double weave mesh grille yesterday. It took me about 6 hours to get it done. I don't think I'm the slowest person around, So I can't see where you can do it in any less time and get it right. Its not that difficult. I would sum it up this way its as hard as you are fussy. If you want it perfect it will take some time. Its well worth doing the conversion is beautiful.

tonygxp
04-22-07, 09:01 PM
Hi I just installed a E&G double weave mesh grille yesterday. It took me about 6 hours to get it done. I don't think I'm the slowest person around, So I can't see where you can do it in any less time and get it right. Its not that difficult. I would sum it up this way its as hard as you are fussy. If you want it perfect it will take some time. Its well worth doing the conversion is beautiful.

that's around what it took me, like I said, PAY.PAY.PAY someone else, you'll never get that 6hrs back and it'll look better if you see it from stock to modded instead of taking a few days to get used to NOT looking at the minor imperfections "you" know are there...

Tom Wheeler
04-22-07, 10:21 PM
I had mine done by the dealer. They have a local supplier/installer that comes to the dealership with the grille and it took him about 45 minutes. I watched him do the install and he painted everthing behind the grille black. The dealer charged me $600 for the grille and installation...well worth the price.

Tom Wheeler

Fyreman235
04-23-07, 05:18 PM
Beautiful, Tom.

I also have a redline SRX, and the mesh looks great. My grille should arrive within a day or two, and I have already talked to my local body guy. He is a perfectionist, and I am a clod.

I would like to replace the wheels too, but I drive cross-country every year, and I am afraid that the 20-21" wheels might harshen the ride. I have the stock 18" and will stay with those.

You have a beautiful car, and I am looking forward to my redline SRX looking like yours (sans the wheels).

Fyreman235
04-26-07, 07:27 PM
Just picked up my SRX from the body shop. Took him 3 hrs with the right tools and experience. Thanks for the advice everyone. It is not a one-man job without really knowing what you are doing. The grille cost almost $450 with shipping, and the installation was $150, so it is a $600 project. However, it is beautiful, and I don't regret for a minute making the change. I took a before picture, but my after pictures didn't come out well in the rainy weather. I will post the pictures as soon as I can. I highly recommend the mesh grille and am thrilled with the result.

Nascarcamper
04-26-07, 07:43 PM
Tom Wheeler: I'm sure your Cadillac dealer is the same one as mine in Rochester. My question is: did you get the single or double mesh grille for that price?

Fyreman235
04-27-07, 02:54 PM
If I figured out to attach photos, this will be my last post on this thread. I tried to attach a before and after picture.

Tom Wheeler
04-27-07, 03:14 PM
Tom Wheeler: I'm sure your Cadillac dealer is the same one as mine in Rochester. My question is: did you get the single or double mesh grille for that price?

Nascarcamper,

Yes it was Crestview, and I got the single mesh. Personally, I liked the single better as I considered the double and they happened to have one of each installed on cars in the lot. As stated earlier it only took the installer about 45 min. and it cost me $600 plus tax.

Tom

spaceman78
04-27-07, 04:15 PM
we cts people got it made. the v-grill fits fine on the cts. very easy to put on.i just put one om my cadillac cts 15 minutes to put on......cost 385.00

tonygxp
04-29-07, 08:10 PM
If anyone wants the Bottom E&G Classic mesh weave grill (lower one that goes in the bottom of the bumper) whatever it's called, it's the one pictured above on the Red SRX, let me know.. I ordered one with the expectation of getting an upper but the deal fell through, now I'm stuck with the lower, it's in the original box.. cheap cheap cheap!!! $40+ shipping..

I broke down and bought the dual weave, liked it better anyway, but know someone has got to want this thing!!

ltman49
08-10-07, 01:10 AM
I will get a quote from a trusted body shop to do mine

bobcnj
08-10-07, 10:18 AM
Not sure what the problems where but my friend and I painted the inside and installed the new grill (Double Mesh) in a little over 2 hrs. No problems just took our time. I do admit that my friend likes to work on cars but he never did anything like this, but he has all the right tools.

TSS
08-10-07, 12:23 PM
I recently installed E&G mesh fender vents in my truck. I had to cut the inserts to make them fit properly. I personally would not tackle the grill.