: electronic ignition conversion

Raider1v1
04-19-07, 01:26 PM
Hey guys,

whats a good brand of electronic ignition to replace the points type in my 69 deville. i didnt really know where to start. i dont want to do the HEI conversion since i am not planning on building the motor up. but i dont want to mess with the points type setup.

i am thinking about the 1st one its only about $55, but the 2nd one is $145-$250 depending on where i get it from. whats the difference in the kits? am i able to use the first one? i dont know because in the description it says that i need to have externaly adjustable points, a window type, but i am not sure thats what i have.

"Fits 1957-74 GM/Delco distributor with externally adjustable points (window cap style)"

http://accel-ignition.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=8272083&makeName=cadillac&modelName=deville&modelDetailName=All+Types&yearName=1969&majorDescriptionName=All+Groups&categoryName=ignition+conversion+kit&engineConcat=7.7L+V8+-+GAS+-+CARB&displacementName=Select+Displacement&engineSizeName=Select+Engine+Size&fuelTypeName=Select+Fuel+Type&fuelDeliveryName=Select+Fuel+Delivery+Type&vqName=Select+Vehicle+Detail&aspirationName=Select+Aspiration&brandName=All+Brands&BrandId=0

http://accel-ignition.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=8272065&makeName=cadillac&modelName=deville&modelDetailName=All+Types&yearName=1969&majorDescriptionName=All+Groups&categoryName=ignition+conversion+kit&engineConcat=7.7L+V8+-+GAS+-+CARB&displacementName=Select+Displacement&engineSizeName=Select+Engine+Size&fuelTypeName=Select+Fuel+Type&fuelDeliveryName=Select+Fuel+Delivery+Type&vqName=Select+Vehicle+Detail&aspirationName=Select+Aspiration&brandName=All+Brands&BrandId=0

Motorboat
04-19-07, 03:13 PM
Check your dist. for a small postage stamp size metal square on the side of the distributer. This will slide up providing access to points. HEI is the way to go. Just get a good set of spark plug wires if you go that route..

Raider1v1
04-19-07, 03:15 PM
well i just went and looked, i do have that metal window door type deal

now i just need to know if its worth the extra 100, to get the whole distro, rather than the conversion itself. what do you think. and fyi the distro does look to be pretty old.

deVille33
04-19-07, 09:37 PM
Petronics ( I think ) used to make a conversion kit, with which you used your old point distributor without the point set. It had a wheel which had a section which allowed a light beam to pass through and it would activate your spark. Effective and the price is right, as long as performance isn't your goal and you could always go back to the point set if you wanted. It also looks original.

Raider1v1
04-20-07, 09:07 AM
well i think that im going to just get an hei. the original distributor is in there and i might as well replace that too right?

how much is it for a good refurbed one or just a sorta generic one? i dont need the accel $300 one :)

Raider1v1
04-20-07, 10:20 AM
i have been looking at this one for a couple days, and decided to buy it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220101815539&rd=1,1

how hard is the install? just plug and play?

Motorboat
04-20-07, 12:11 PM
You will not be sorry for the decision. Take your time on the install and be sure to get the plug wires right. They are probably generic wires so they may me a little sloppy as far as fir goes.

When you remove your old Dist cap put a mark on the firewall or some reference point where the rotor is pointing. When you drop in the new one, line it up with the mark you made. A tooth off can be corrected with timing.

Raider1v1
04-20-07, 01:52 PM
alright i think that ill just take it to my regular mechanic though, :) i dont want to mess anything up:bouncy:

Brother_B
04-21-07, 10:09 AM
This looks like a really good deal. I wish I saw that before I paid $400 for my set-up. Most people will tell you it's plug and play. But look for my post called Distributor Stuck. My old dist was frozen in place and I had to take some extreme measures to get it out. The wiring gave me a headache too. If you know how to hook up a wire that is 12 volts hot when cranking and running, you are golden. It took me while to figure out that part. Search the forum on HEI and you will find a crap-load of info, tips, problems, etc.