: Dropped Calls -can You Hear M.......

john d
04-19-07, 01:56 AM
Have an 04 DTS and 04 SRX with ONSTAR analog upgradeable to digital.
In the last couple of weeks incoming callers have often reported that after many rings their getting announcements stating "Verizon customer not answering" or getting busy signals when the car phone wasn't in use and in actual sight of known cell towers. That situation continues with repeated attempts to call me as the caller knows I'm in the car and traveling.
Also, calls in progress are being abruptly dropped without any warning such as static or weak signal noise.
ONSTAR customer service says it's due to analog and I won't have this problem if I'd switch to digital now (and prepay for one year ONSTAR service) instead of waitng until January 08. Didn't get any customer satisfying response when I stated that I'm paying for ONSTAR service that's prepaid through December 07 ...why am I not getting what I've already paid for?
Anyone else having problems of this kind?

c5 rv
04-19-07, 07:44 AM
I found the OnStar phone service, either analog or digital, to be poor. The voice recognition is very frustrating to use and the sound quality at the other end is awful. I gave up on the service in my truck about 6 months before I traded it in and will not renew it in the SRX this summer. The only thing I use it for is to call home if I'm running late. Great concept, but poor execution.

tonygxp
04-19-07, 08:04 AM
I found the OnStar phone service, either analog or digital, to be poor. The voice recognition is very frustrating to use and the sound quality at the other end is awful. I gave up on the service in my truck about 6 months before I traded it in and will not renew it in the SRX this summer. The only thing I use it for is to call home if I'm running late. Great concept, but poor execution.

I actually like my OnStar phone service, as do my friend's in their vehicles.. I have had 4 vehicles with it, 04'Envoy, 05'GP GXP, 06'TBSS, 07'SRX and haven't had any issues (except when we were in the Disney world Area??? strange)

TSS
04-19-07, 09:05 AM
I love my digital service in my 2006 SRX. Superior to the analog in my SLS (2001). Plus, you can get on a verizon plan and share your minutes with your car phone for 9.99 per month so you don't pay onstar their high per minute fee. Check prior threads for discussion on this topic.

john d
04-19-07, 02:36 PM
I started this post yesterday after recent ONSTAR issues with the 04 DTS.
TODAY...Called home three times from the SRX, waiting about three minutes between attempts, and got busy signal all three times.
This happen at least 35 miles as the old crow flys from the location of the ONSTAR failures in the DTS.
A few minutes later SRX phone rings and it's wife asking if I'd been trying to call her. Our home phone rang but when she answered no one was there!
I called ONSTAR and was with them for 5 miutes or so while they checked with the "Carrier" to determine which tower I was connecting and was there heavy traffic at that cell at the time of my calls. Report was that cell was NOT overloaded and "the thingy on the cell tower wasn't connecting to voice". Cnclusion/recommendation....if it happens again, in that area, call back and ONSTAR will turn in a "trouble ticket". Gave me 30 minutes for the trouble.
I consider that a good customer service gesture.. but if you can't make connections with the minutes then what's the point?

DVC-Don
04-20-07, 07:05 AM
No issues with the wifes analog OnStar in the SRX (2004) or with my digital OnStar in my Hummer (2006) at all. Both work much better than my personal cell phone in the remote areas we often get into.