: I Bought A 94 Fleetwood

cadydaddy
04-19-07, 12:58 AM
Hey everyone!

I asked about a fleetwood and I bought the one I went to see, it is very nice and im happy so far!

It is a 1994 Fleetwood, I thought it was a brougham but I think its not, as it does not have the rear ceiling mirrors and does not say broughham on it, so I guess it is a fleetwood std??? no moonroof either, but I dont really want one, and it has a hardtop not vinyl, less maintance imo.

Anyway, it is a 94 with 97,500 miles. It was very smooth and the tranny was good, also, when I put the pedel down it shifted nice and crisp and took off!!! This this would lay waste to my old 95 mustang gt vert I had!!

It has not rust that I could see and thats good for Mn.

A couple of questions for you caddy pros....

The rear passanger window does not go up properly, I did not try it because I was affraid it would not go up, what could this be, I guess it goes down not up???

Also, the truck popper button does ont seem to work, I push it and it does not pop the truck, any ideas???

But so far, thats about it.

The ride level worked good, and there was no wet spots anywhere I could see.

One other small thing, not sure if this is just some wear in the front end or a caddy being a caddy, but when you going down the road the wheel is straight, but yuo can turn the whell to either side a little and it does not turn the car lol, not tight, but more lazy, is this normal?

Anyway, it has just a few small issues but nothing big, he negotiated due to the things it needs.

One more thing, the front corner trim piece is off, but I have the piece, it has like 5 or 6 posts, do I need to glue those into the bumper holes or what???

THANK YOU FOR THE ANSWERS!!:worship:

caddycruiser
04-19-07, 09:35 AM
Great!

1) Correct, if it doesn't say Brougham and the rear seat mirrors aren't there, it's a base. Really, not that huge of a difference, just a higher rear end gear and less featured seats. And, at least to me, the lack of vinyl top is a great thing too.

2) Exactly like I said in the first thread, the window issue is because of broken sliders in the window track. These need to be replaced by the newer style rollers, and is really a simple fix that most do themselves--there's two for each window. Essentially consists of taking the door panel off, and wrangling your hands and some tools a little bit, popping in the new little rollers and getting the window arms back in track. There's several threads about this, in different places.

3) The trunk popper button inside the glove box ONLY works when there's power to the car, i.e., the ignition is on or you just turned it off and haven't opened a door yet, with the retained accessory power still on. You can't just hit the button with no power to the car, it's just designed that way--unless, of course, you have the keyless remotes, then that way works regardless.

4) Naturally, the steering on these cars is not overly responsive, and in perfect form, you'll notice some a little slack. If it gets worse, and is more like our '93--there's a couple inches of slack to each side off center without any response--it can be a variety of things, the most common being the power steering box, I believe.

5) Front bumper corner trim. These have little plastic prongs on the back, and once those are put through the bumper holes, there's little nut type things that go on from the backside to hold them on. Take a look at the other side, to see how it goes.

cadydaddy
04-19-07, 11:36 AM
Thank you so much for the good info cadycruiser.

Yeah, theres more then a couple inches of play, I can have the wheel at a 15 degree angle before it moves the car alot, its like if the alinment is off, but I dont think it is because it seems to track straight.

So if I get the window roller sets and pull the panals off, its a pretty easy fix, thats good.

well, as for the truck popper, I first tried with no power then thought, well maybe it needs power so i turned the ignition key forward on aux where the radio comes on and still no pop, but the door had already been open? maybe I will just try today before i turn the car off or open the door. fingers crossed.

I am going to wash it and spiff it up this weekend, and then get some good pics, i shall post them after!

caddycruiser
04-19-07, 01:03 PM
well, as for the truck popper, I first tried with no power then thought, well maybe it needs power so i turned the ignition key forward on aux where the radio comes on and still no pop, but the door had already been open? maybe I will just try today before i turn the car off or open the door. fingers crossed.

Well, actually, regardless of the doors being open, if you had it forward to On/Aux where the radio would run, the trunk pop should work. If it didn't, there's likely another issue, but I'm not sure what it might be.

cadydaddy
04-19-07, 01:36 PM
Caddycruiser, This may sound dumb, but what exactly can my display show, like I seen the outside and inside temps, but is there a gas milage display, or anything like that, and if so, how do i access it. thanks guys.

caddycruiser
04-19-07, 05:49 PM
Caddycruiser, This may sound dumb, but what exactly can my display show, like I seen the outside and inside temps, but is there a gas milage display, or anything like that, and if so, how do i access it. thanks guys.

No, these cars are VERY simple in that regard. The climate control unit can, of course, control the HVAC system and show the outside temp, BUT beyond that it also can show you trouble codes--that's the coolest part about these cars, that you can read codes simply by a few keystrokes of the panel. Those instructions are here:

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd1.html#ide

With the car running, hold the "OFF" and "Temp Up" buttons down at the same time for about 5 seconds. This will bring up a segment check and then take you into computer "00" (PCM) diagnostics.

Now press the "Out Temp" button and record any codes. If you see a code prefixed by a "1", this is a history code.

Use the "Warmer" button to move on to computer "01" (CCM) and repeat the procedure.

Continue through the last 3 computer systems... 02=HVAC, 03=SIR, 04=ABS/TC

If a code is being displayed, you can select the "OFF" button to instantly clear that code from the system. This will get rid of any intermittent problem and get those lights off of the dashboard. If the problem is real, the code will be set again and the lights will come back on.

Also of note here, and not sure if you've even realized it yet, but the OEM Cadillac climate control unit is AWFUL in terms of control. It's basically made so the original old fogies could just pick a temperature and let it alone, but that also means you don't have truly selectable fan speeds and, more so, you cannot control the air flow. I despised this from the first day we had our '93.

But, thankfully, as someone found out, the climate control unit from a '94-96 Buick Roadmaster is plug & play, aside from some custom mounting, and when done allows you to have 5 selectable fan speeds, full range of air flow choices, and still retains the full Auto modes. Needless to say, this was one of the first things I did with my '95, and could never go back.

Here's some details on this too:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1985-deville-fleetwood-1985/59695-works-new-roadmaster-heating-system-works.html?highlight=roadmaster+climate

Of course, this last thing is just a mod, and you've not even had the car a day yet...but the fun will start soon enough:thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-19-07, 10:45 PM
I'm glad our help and advice steered you in the correct direction!

Pics would be great!

I see you're in MN, whereabouts? I'm in Eagan (3rd tier suburb of St. Paul). If you're interested, there's a big national meet going on down in Iowa the week end of the 19th of May, check the meets section for more info!

cadydaddy
04-22-07, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the link, looks intresting, I will see how the stock unit is for awhile but maybe in the future?

caddycruiser
04-22-07, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the link, looks intresting, I will see how the stock unit is for awhile but maybe in the future?

Yeah, no need, but it's a great thing in the future, once you're more in tune with the car.