: Trouble with the dealership getting software!

Benjamin Simon
04-18-07, 09:47 PM
3 weeks ago, I went to my dealership to update my bluetooth.

Voice Recognition System Performs Poorly, Memory Seat Function Operation Complicated, Navigation Radio Screen Locks Up, Map DVD (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/#) Message Displayed, Telephone Number Not Dialed via Bluetooth (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/#) #05-08-126-001A - (01/18/2007)
Models: 2005-2007 Cadillac STS
Built Prior to December, 2006
with Navigation Radio (RPO YQ4)

They said it would take 7 to 10 business days to get the DVD. Now it is over 15. WTF is wrong here. Seriously, even if it was coming from China, 24 hours should be all that they need.

Maybe I am just being an ass. How long should I wait until I start making phone calls.

dhemrick
04-18-07, 11:23 PM

Voice Recognition System Performs Poorly, Memory Seat Function Operation Complicated, Navigation Radio Screen Locks Up, Map DVD (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/#) Message Displayed, Telephone Number Not Dialed via Bluetooth (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/#) #05-08-126-001A - (01/18/2007)

They said it would take 7 to 10 business days to get the DVD. Now it is over 15. WTF is wrong here. Seriously, even if it was coming from China, 24 hours should be all that they need.

Maybe I am just being an ass. How long should I wait until I start making phone calls.

I requested the same update disk from my dealer about a week ago. He said it would be in in about 1-2 weeks. I'll let you know if it comes in for me.

Unfortunately, they are at the mercy of the supplier of the nav units, so calling and raising a ruckus with the dealer probably won't get you very far because they can't make the vendor ship any faster.

I would think that GM would have a few of these on hand to send to dealers. It's just a DVD... it's not like it is hard to duplicate. Then again, I'm applying logic to big business and we all know where that gets us.

If I understand correctly, the same upgrade DVD should be able to be used again and again, so each dealer should only need one copy. I guess you and I are the first to ask for this update from our respective dealers.

Besides these fixes, does anyone know what changes in functionality can be expected?

Force-1
04-18-07, 11:27 PM
I just purchased a new 06; however, it was built about a year ago. My paperwork says I get 2 free DVD updates from Cadillac. How do I get these? And should I ask for one now, even though the car is new, but the DVD is already over a year old?

dhemrick
04-18-07, 11:31 PM
I just purchased a new 06; however, it was built about a year ago. My paperwork says I get 2 free DVD updates from Cadillac. How do I get these? And should I ask for one now, even though the car is new, but the DVD is already over a year old?

First, don't confuse the nav software update with the map update.

The prior posts are discussing the nav software update which comes on a DVD and then there is an upgrade process to load the new software.

To get the updated map DVD, you have to order that from the manufacturer I believe.

Benjamin Simon
04-18-07, 11:36 PM
Yes, I am looking for a DVD software for the unit, which is really a "tool" for the dealership. The dealership gets 1 for free, if they loss that one, they must pay $50 for a replacement.

I am just confused why something like this would take even 1 week.

banker-b
04-19-07, 12:35 AM
You'll get your dvds on the aniversery date of when you purchased your car for the 1st 2 years of ownership. For example, if you purchased your car in April of 2007 you will get your 1st dvd update in April 2008 and your 2nd in April 2009. This will be sent to you automatically by cadillac.

dkozloski
04-19-07, 01:09 AM
I just bought a "new" 2006 STS. Somebody stole the NAV DVD and NAV manual out of it at the dealership. I gave up on them getting me a replacement and bought one(latest edition) on Ebay. I found out it doesn't work in Alaska anyway. The nearest map data ends 1500 miles away in British Columbia. The NAV tracks the GPS satellites just fine but all it tells me is the latitude, the longitude, and which direction I'm going. Complete map data that covers all of North America including Alaska costs $49.95 from DeLorme but it's the wrong format. GM is too cheap to reformat and provide it.

WillySTS
04-19-07, 01:31 AM
I requested the same update disk from my dealer about a week ago. He said it would be in in about 1-2 weeks. I'll let you know if it comes in for me.

Unfortunately, they are at the mercy of the supplier of the nav units, so calling and raising a ruckus with the dealer probably won't get you very far because they can't make the vendor ship any faster.

I would think that GM would have a few of these on hand to send to dealers. It's just a DVD... it's not like it is hard to duplicate. Then again, I'm applying logic to big business and we all know where that gets us.

If I understand correctly, the same upgrade DVD should be able to be used again and again, so each dealer should only need one copy. I guess you and I are the first to ask for this update from our respective dealers.

Besides these fixes, does anyone know what changes in functionality can be expected?

I was the 1st to request it at our dealership and it took about 10 days, but I work at the dealership, in the service department.

ewill3rd
04-19-07, 07:12 AM
That nav radio update disc set is actually 2 discs, I didn't look closely but I think they are actually CDs, but you do insert them into the nav disc slot for the update.
I have a set on hand for those of you in the DC/Alexandria area, but if you don't have a Tech 2, those of you far away from here, the dealer will have to do the update because it requires the scan tool to "activate" the new software that you load. Just running the discs won't do it.

At any rate, we actually get the discs from the GM Nav Disc center. We have to call and give them information then they snail mail them to us via US mail. I think it took almost a week to get the set I have. I don't see how it should be any longer than that.

I have the original update set for the '05 MY, but it is the same story, gotta' have a Tech 2 when you are done.
The '05 set doesn't work as well as the '07 set, and the new ones look nicer (printed discs instead of a sticky label)

As noted, this is very different from the nav disc update program, this is an internal software upgrade to the nav units themselves.

Benjamin Simon
04-19-07, 08:42 AM
Thanks for your input ewill3rd. It has been 22 days now. Since you are in service, when would it be reasonable for me to bitch?
And who should I do it at?
I don't want to be that "crazy" customer, but when does it get to the point where I should say something?

zzzasy
04-19-07, 08:50 AM
EWILL3rd, I live in your area and is very interested in this upgrade. What do I need to do?

ewill3rd
04-19-07, 08:56 AM
If you know where we are located just contact a service advisor and schedule an appointment.
It would be best if you could leave it with me for a while, I am pretty busy these days but I could work it in between big jobs.

I'll see if I can get a service advisor to call you.
I got your phone number, I'd advise you to edit your post and remove it before you start getting calls from people you really don't want to hear from.
If you want you can also reach me via ewill3rd@lindsaycadillac.com.

ewill3rd
04-19-07, 08:59 AM
Benjamin,

You might be dealing with an internal communication problem in the dealer.
It is probably at the dealership but whoever has it doesn't know what to do with it.
Most UPS and FEDex deliveries go through parts but US mail often goes through the business office.
You might explain your situation to the service manager and have him look into it. He will probably know who to call to find a mystery package that came in US mail.
It should end up in parts but there is no telling.
I'd say after 22 days you should be justified in bringing this to the SM's attention. Just try to be sincere and don't get upset.

Benjamin Simon
04-19-07, 09:21 AM
Yea, zzzasy, I posted my number a about 2 years ago, and some old man called me everyday wanting to talk about the northstar. He was one crazy MOFO. watch out!

Thanks Ewill3rd. I wish you were close to me... In fact if I ever have anything major happen, I might just bring it up to you!
I think I am going to give my friends a total of 4 weeks.
I asked them about an oil change and they said $89.99... I think I should start getting some free oil changes!!

AllWheelEric
04-19-07, 12:59 PM
Say, EWill3, are you implying there is a second software update that came out in 2007? Is it applicable to all model years?

Thank you.

AllWheelEric
04-19-07, 01:07 PM
I just bought a "new" 2006 STS. Somebody stole the NAV DVD and NAV manual out of it at the dealership. I gave up on them getting me a replacement and bought one(latest edition) on Ebay. I found out it doesn't work in Alaska anyway. The nearest map data ends 1500 miles away in British Columbia. The NAV tracks the GPS satellites just fine but all it tells me is the latitude, the longitude, and which direction I'm going. Complete map data that covers all of North America including Alaska costs $49.95 from DeLorme but it's the wrong format. GM is too cheap to reformat and provide it.

Wow, the dealer didn't warn you about this limitation? I sure would be annoyed. Well, you may already have noticed, but if you memorize some points, they can be made to show up on the map display. That might help provide some context of where you are and where you're headed.

Once i was driving in a very rural area, where there was only limited map data available. In these areas, route guidance gets disabled. So although you probably can mark points, I'd guess you can't even use the GPS to point you towards a marked point. Bummer!

ewill3rd
04-19-07, 03:08 PM
Eric,
This bulletin is a revamp of an old PI that they came out with late in '05.
There is a new disc set that just came out early this year, I forget the date.
It is a new disc set.
I have them both here, but I only use the new ones.
Not sure I'll ever have a use for the old set.
I think the TSB clearly states that this includes all '05 and up subject to this software update.
You verify the software version before you begin if memory serves.

dkozloski
04-19-07, 06:44 PM
Wow, the dealer didn't warn you about this limitation? I sure would be annoyed. Well, you may already have noticed, but if you memorize some points, they can be made to show up on the map display. That might help provide some context of where you are and where you're headed.

Once i was driving in a very rural area, where there was only limited map data available. In these areas, route guidance gets disabled. So although you probably can mark points, I'd guess you can't even use the GPS to point you towards a marked point. Bummer!
I tried to tell them that it was my understanding that NAV didn't work in Alaska. The sales people insisted that model years 2006 and newer did work. Obviously it doesn't work. About all it will do is tell me the direction I'm headed. How can you tell if a car salesman is lying? His lips are moving.
I knew they were full of crap. They never sent me a NAV manual or a map disc. On top of that my CTS has been in their shop for over a week to get the differential side seals replaced and they won't return my calls asking the status. The Ford and Chrysler dealers are even worse.

UPDATE: I finally got through to the service department and they tell me they got the wrong parts so now it'll be some time next week before they finish the CTS.

Force-1
04-19-07, 08:08 PM
For those that have received the NAV software update, was it worth it? And if so, why? What did it fix and/or improve?

jnelson
04-20-07, 12:13 AM
Help! You seem to know what is going on so i'm soory if I should not do it this way but I have had a post on here for 3 week and no answer. Please help. how do you adjust the headlight on a 2005 STS. My dealer claims that when you adjust the low beams the high beam also move, so if they lower my high beam for tree high level then the low beam will be way to low. That does not sound right. there has to be some way of adjusting headlights!!! Please answer if you can!!

WillySTS
04-20-07, 12:16 AM
For those that have received the NAV software update, was it worth it? And if so, why? What did it fix and/or improve?

The only problem I did have was voice recognition and it improved it...ever so slightly...it's still the worst thing about my nav radio, but it does work about 75% of the time instead of 50% of the time. Everything was good and stayed the same. My wife says the phone sounds better.

ewill3rd
04-20-07, 07:13 AM
jnelson, can you post a link to your topic and I'll go over there and try to answer it for you.
I'll try to look for it, but if I don't post, come back and find me.
;)

mike sts
04-21-07, 12:06 AM
Does the update erase all your navigation presets?

Cajonkev
04-21-07, 05:17 PM
Does the update erase all your navigation presets?

Yes...

ewill3rd
04-21-07, 09:04 PM
The update pretty much wipes everything out.
Presets, nav points... the works.
Sad but true.

Curious George
04-21-07, 11:48 PM
Force-1: If you want a new Nav Map DVD, eject your current Map DVD and note the version number and copyright date. (Re-install your Map DVD.) Now call the Map DVD Center at 1-877-NAV-DISC between 8:00 AM and 8:00 PM ET. If there is a newer Map DVD they'll send it to you, but it'll use up one of your free upgrades.

All: My dealer, Stewart Chevrolet/Cadillac in Colma, CA, got the disk(s) for TSB #05-08-126-001A - (01/18/2007) in about a week. The software update was installed in my '06 STS Friday, April 20, to improve Bluetooth functionality. It seems to work. I can now use my Cingular Treo 650 in my car with Bluetooth enabled without crashing the phone. The audio mutes when I send and receive calls, just like the book says.

dkozloski
04-22-07, 12:11 AM
FWIW, the NAV DVD map data will get you up the Alaska Highway to Beaver Creek on the Alaska-Canada border even though the region map doesn't show Yukon Territory. If you're beyond the edge of the map data you can't set waypoints or store a home position. The map data is compiled by www.teleatlas.com who provides map data for a lot of different GPS suppliers but Cadillac chose not to buy Alaska data.

thefred
04-25-07, 10:07 PM
I can now use my Cingular Treo 650 in my car with Bluetooth enabled without crashing the phone. The audio mutes when I send and receive calls, just like the book says.
That's exactly what I was waiting for. I have a Treo 650 (Verizon) that crashes whenever I try to dial out using a speed dial and it does not automatically connect when I get in the car-I have to go to configure and tell it to connect. Can you dial from your speed dial now without it crashing your phone?

hiljak
05-09-07, 10:49 AM
ewill3rd,

I have an 05 STS (3.6) with NAV and recently asked my dealer to check that the software was at the most current version while it was in for some other monor things. I checked my software version after via the diagnostic screen and got the following:

Audio: 00E6
NAVI: 0C80 5
Soft. Rel: 4/05/3 (4152)
Hard Rel: 4/05/21 (4142)
Pro. Day: 4/25/21 (4142)

It seems this is older than what's listed in your previous post (with steps to complete the upgrade with the TechII). Can you confirm, that there is indeed a newer version for my car? Thanks.

**edit for anyone wondering how to get into the diagnostic screen, I got the directions from this post:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-beyond/95721-nav-screen-diagnostic-mode-instructions.html?highlight=diagnostic+screen

ewill3rd
05-09-07, 11:57 AM
This is the latest software release that I know of.
If the numbers don't match it pretty much has to be an older version, particularly in an '05.
I would say it needs to be done, or at least that it can be done.
As I mentioned, if the software sees a new enough version it will bump out and not load the updates.

hiljak
05-09-07, 12:28 PM
Thanks,

I called my dealer back and gave them the TSB number. They have never heard of this (or have never been requested to complete this) and they said they will get the disks ASAP.

Thanks.

z06bigbird
05-09-07, 08:33 PM

Hey, man, that sounds like a racial slur. I am going to tell Al Sharpton, and he will get you.

LOL

ewill3rd
05-09-07, 09:26 PM
Tell them to follow the procedure carefully, particularly the part where you use the Tech 2 to activate the new software.

The menu selections have changed slightly since the bulletin was printed with software updates but you can find the options listed if you look.
Good luck.

yourgmsolutions
05-10-07, 12:42 AM
Tell them to follow the procedure carefully, particularly the part where you use the Tech 2 to activate the new software.

The menu selections have changed slightly since the bulletin was printed with software updates but you can find the options listed if you look.
Good luck.

question for You. I ordered those update discs from GM nav center through the dealership, and they sent me only one disc. You were saying that it should be 2 CD's. do you have by any chance part numbers for those discs? thanks in advance

ewill3rd
05-10-07, 06:55 AM
I'll look at work today, the case is funny, it is one of those with two discs on a white plastic piece, one is inside the back and one is visible.
If you ordered the part number out of the bulletin from the nav disc center it should be right, but I'll look at the label on the CD set today.
Someone bump this so I'll see it at work.

ewill3rd
05-10-07, 08:07 AM
It says on the front "GM Serivce P/N 15943724"

dhemrick
05-31-07, 03:02 PM
Just to provide an update to this thread, I received notice from the service manager at Hendrick Cadillac that the navigation software update disks were in. They were ordered on April 12th and came in on May 30th. That's about 7 weeks!

I have scheduled an appointment to take the car in next Tuesday morning to have the update performed.

I asked if I could watch the process (being a software guy myself), and they said sure, no problem.

I'm a software tester by profession, and I can tell you that in my "professional" opinion, while the currently software isn't completely "bad", there are a lot of missed test cases that if executed and fixed before the software was released, would have made it a lot more stable and user friendly.

I've seen software that was rushed through development and out the door without sufficient testing, and I can see that here. Fortunately, I have not experienced a lot of the problems some people have, although I have found a few cases (never during normal driving however) where the bluetooth loses connection with the phone is lost.

Anyway, I'll let you guys know how the upgrade goes and if I notice different/better behavior out of the unit after the upgrade.