: cts vs g35

the cadillac kid
04-18-07, 04:16 PM
hi,
my friend wants to go, he just got a g35x ... all wheel drive 2004.

i have an '06 cts 3.6L, rear wheel drive
Both cars are auto... At stock, whats the likelihood that i'll beat him (my traction control off, both of our cars totally stock)

predictions?

thanks

Blackout
04-18-07, 05:02 PM
I think it would be a drivers race even though you both have automatics. But I'm not too familar with the G35X. I think the G35 might get you out of the hole due to the AWD but I think you might catch him. I'd say let us know how it goes

the cadillac kid
04-18-07, 05:15 PM
ya i will, i just gotta kick his ass--him and everyone else have been dissing cadi left and right since he got his car!

Blackout
04-18-07, 05:20 PM
ya i will, i just gotta kick his ass--him and everyone else have been dissing cadi left and right since he got his car!I saw on a website that I go to see what cars can do in the 1/4 I saw that they had a 3.6 CTS on there and that it ran a 15.0 but it didn't specify whether it was auto or stick. They also had a G35 Sedan but no G35X and the sedan did a 1/4 in 14.8. So either the AWD is going to help it out in the 1/4 or hurt it. I think it would hurt it due to more drivetrain loss due to the AWD setup and due to more weight due to the AWD setup as well. I dunno if Infiniti gave the car any power boost at all to compensate but I highly doubt it. I would think you would win. Either way if people are talking crap about your Caddy and you do lose then you will probably get some props because the Infiniti (if it does beat you) isn't going to be beating you by a lot. But either way you shouldn't worry about what people say about your car. Drive what you like

the cadillac kid
04-18-07, 05:32 PM
o no, dont get me wrong, i love my car -- i just wanna show every1 where they can shove it you know?

Blackout
04-18-07, 08:47 PM
o no, dont get me wrong, i love my car -- i just wanna show every1 where they can shove it you know?Been there before with my old 1991 Ford Taurus SHO+ and my 1995 Lincoln Mark VIII. It's always fun to listen to people run their mouth and then when you lay the smack down on them nothing gives you more joy then to hear nothing but silence from them afterwards

the cadillac kid
04-18-07, 08:55 PM
si :D

so wats every1's predictions!!!??

the cadillac kid
04-18-07, 08:55 PM
are blackout and i the only ones on this thread?!?!?

Blackout
04-18-07, 09:02 PM
are blackout and i the only ones on this thread?!?!?Pretty much. The versus and road kills sections don't get a lot of traffic

EDIT: I just happened to see your from Jersey. Where at in NJ you from?

blunted
04-19-07, 04:02 PM
People are crappin on your CTS over a G35x?? WTF kind of kids are you hanging out with.. the G35 Coupe I could kinda understand but the 4Dr? C'mon, smack those guys upside the head. :thepan:

blunted
04-19-07, 04:17 PM
Oh btw.. everything I've read shows the g35 ontop by .1 seconds. I'd race him, it's gonna be close enough to shut some mouths.

the cadillac kid
04-19-07, 04:44 PM
good to know -- just want to find a place ... tired of having to worry bout cops or surprises... plus i want to be able to record it :D

any1 know of any good places in the northern NJ area

90Brougham350
04-19-07, 09:44 PM
Just make sure you get a good powerbrake launch, and don't let up!

gary88
04-20-07, 11:21 PM
I've driven both the G35 sedan (RWD) and the CTS, and it will definitely be a driver's race.

JimmyH
05-28-07, 02:50 PM
I saw on a website that I go to see what cars can do in the 1/4 I saw that they had a 3.6 CTS on there and that it ran a 15.0 but it didn't specify whether it was auto or stick. They also had a G35 Sedan but no G35X and the sedan did a 1/4 in 14.8. So either the AWD is going to help it out in the 1/4 or hurt it. I think it would hurt it due to more drivetrain loss due to the AWD setup and due to more weight due to the AWD setup as well. I dunno if Infiniti gave the car any power boost at all to compensate but I highly doubt it. I would think you would win. Either way if people are talking crap about your Caddy and you do lose then you will probably get some props because the Infiniti (if it does beat you) isn't going to be beating you by a lot. But either way you shouldn't worry about what people say about your car. Drive what you like

I dont think the awd hardware will directly slow it down. I believe it has a viscous coupling (or something similiar) which disconnects it when not needed. There is only the extra weight which will take away a tenth or so of the ET. Of course when you are blasting off, it will certainly be needed for traction, and I dont know how much of a delay there is in going from awd to rwd.

In any case, don't count the G35 short. It is a fantastic car. At least as good as the CTS. I would take the CTS over it only for the fact that it is an American car.

And who cares who is faster in the 1/4. The 1/4 is just bragging rights and means absolutely nothing more. My 00 Maxima was probably the fastest V6 sedan around when I bought it. Now it isnt even close. Doesnt mean it isnt a great car anymore. Speed is relative, and there is always someone faster.

You like your CTS, he likes his G35, and everyone who is dissin on either is probably just jealous as they walk out to their Camrys and Malibus.

the cadillac kid
05-28-07, 03:03 PM
havent done it yet. Need a safe place and place where a lot of ppl we know will be there to watch.

this is may sound dumb, but from a stop, how can i get a good launch?
i think if i just floor it from the get-go then it'll just cause crazy wheel spin and waste time? its not like either one of us are pro dragsters or anything, just want bragging rights.

so, again: what should i do for a good launch?

JimmyH
05-29-07, 12:20 PM
In some cars with auto, the best launch is to brake-torque from a certain RPM. You will have to figure out what the best speed is in your car, or if it is the best method at all.

JimmyH
05-29-07, 03:34 PM
Brake-torque is an old-school technique; you mash the brake pedal, and give the engine enough throttle to hold it a certain engine speed, i.e. 2000 rpm. Then when the light is green, you sidestep the brake pedal, and a heartbeat later floor the throttle. If done correctly, you should get a hard jump off the line with very little wheelspin. If done incorrectly, you will be rewarded with lots of wheelspin, or a bogged start.

The exact engine speed depends on the car. You have to experiment to see what works best. This of course only works with an automatic.

If you really want to show off, jam the brake pedal hard, floor the throttle, and take just enough pressure off the brake to get the rear wheels to smoke. A standing burn-out. I DONT recommend it though.

the cadillac kid
05-29-07, 03:57 PM
A standing burn-out. I DONT recommend it though.

ya i was dumb and did that a few times. ... looked good, but today the car is at the dealership for "premature tire wear." ... trying to claim it is the suspension or the alignment is off or something and try 2 get new ones under warrenty. (HIGHLY doubt it will work though. now regretting it thinking they may void my warrenty totally :( )

thanks 4 the info tho jim (i c that u chekced your User CP & noticed the added rep point ;) )

Blackout
05-29-07, 04:19 PM
Brake-torque is an old-school technique; you mash the brake pedal, and give the engine enough throttle to hold it a certain engine speed, i.e. 2000 rpm. Then when the light is green, you sidestep the brake pedal, and a heartbeat later floor the throttle. If done correctly, you should get a hard jump off the line with very little wheelspin. If done incorrectly, you will be rewarded with lots of wheelspin, or a bogged start.

The exact engine speed depends on the car. You have to experiment to see what works best. This of course only works with an automatic.

If you really want to show off, jam the brake pedal hard, floor the throttle, and take just enough pressure off the brake to get the rear wheels to smoke. A standing burn-out. I DONT recommend it though.That's true for most cars but I was actually surprised back when I had my Mark VIII. I got better trap speeds and ET's without power braking then with power braking. I remember reading something about it awhile ago and I forget what the reasoning was off the top of my head but I would say to bring your CTS to the track and tryout different things to see which works the best for your car. For my Mark VIII I would get the best times with turning the traction control off, O/D off, manually rowing the gears, and not power braking.

JimmyH
05-29-07, 08:56 PM
^^yeah, some cars brake torque doesnt work, you are better off modulating the throttle after releasing the brake pedal. I imagine this would be the case for the CTS-V if an auto was available.

C-Kid; thanks for the points, you said in there that you didnt understand what I was talking about, that is why posted again with an explanation.

Ski4Prez
06-11-07, 09:36 PM
So, who won the race?

the cadillac kid
06-11-07, 09:55 PM
never happened -- were gonna do it this weekend (prom weekend) when our entire school could witness,... but i didnt have my car (caddy had my car and i'm not 21 so i cant drive the loaner).

if it ever does happen i'll get it over here and let every1 know...

Ski4Prez
06-11-07, 10:03 PM
I've been wanting to race a G35 since I got my Caddy. I always seem to have my wife in the car whenever I get a chance though. :(