: STS V8 oil change

Benjamin Simon
04-17-07, 03:42 PM
I did a search before asking, but I am about to do my first oil change. I only saw post on the V6. I changed my oil many times on my 99 STS with the northstar. Is there anything odd I can expect like locations on plugs or filter?
Thanks!

Benjamin Simon
04-17-07, 07:37 PM
Oil change was very easy. The plug and filter are right next to each other. The oil with shoot out towards the drivers side. Try not to put the jack stand in front. It makes a mess.
The manual said 8 quarts. I used 7.5.

z06bigbird
04-17-07, 08:17 PM
Biggest difference between Northstar and a Chrysler product is that with Chrysler, you do not need to change oil. Simply add a few quarts regularly.

Ed

cguthrie
04-18-07, 01:19 AM
Umm, I drove a POS Chrysler for over 200K w/no oil loss between changes, and put at least an extra quart in every thousand miles on my 99sts for over 100K, starting when I bought it at 40K.

I hope that "feature" has been eliminated on my new 2005 n*.

CG
2005 1SG 24K

Benjamin Simon
04-18-07, 09:27 AM
When I changed my oil, the old oil was still brown, not black at all. I would have expected it to be much darker. Anyone else observe thier oil color?
My 99 STS had black oil after 2000 miles. This appeared to be 9K used.

ARTSBEST
04-18-07, 09:35 AM
Are you using Mobil 1 oil in it? I believe it's the "oil of choice" with the STS for some time now. Read my post on Mobil1 (which has been moved) to justify using this stuff. There's a reason GM is using this oil in their higher performance engines. And NO I have NO relationionship what-so-ever with the makers of this stuff. I just think it's good "insurnace."

Benjamin Simon
04-18-07, 09:48 AM
I am unsure if the type oil I use has anything to do with the color. The "black" color from what I understood is from carbon which is released by the burning of gasoline.
I would assume the oil filter and engine effect the amount carbon.
The car has 18K miles on it. I purchased it with 15K. I am assuming this was the 2nd oil change. I am not sure which oil was used prior.
They did have a AC Delco filter. PF61.
Perhaps the N* burns the gasoline in a fashion that does not release larger amounts of carbon into the oil.