: Hey GM-Do something about $%^ batteries!

Red07
04-17-07, 11:08 AM
Just back from the dealer with my two-week old '07 SRX, with a new battery. Would not start after sitting for 5 days in the garage. This is a "fresh" (built in February) '07, and the battery takes a crap in 2 weeks!! C'mon GM, admit the standard DELCO can't handle the load, and put something in these cars (CTS and SRX) that has a deeper cell capacity. This is crap!!! And, oh by the way, neither Interstate or Optima make a replacement because of the "custom" height of the DELCO unit, another GM design failure. Must have been the same engineer that designed the shiny vent trim that reflects in the side windows :tisk:
Sorry to vent...but this really blows.....

TSS
04-17-07, 08:13 PM
Not uncommon. Batteries either fail very early on or after four years.

robhersch
04-17-07, 11:51 PM
Just back from the dealer with my two-week old '07 SRX, with a new battery. Would not start after sitting for 5 days in the garage. This is a "fresh" (built in February) '07, and the battery takes a crap in 2 weeks!! C'mon GM, admit the standard DELCO can't handle the load, and put something in these cars (CTS and SRX) that has a deeper cell capacity. This is crap!!! And, oh by the way, neither Interstate or Optima make a replacement because of the "custom" height of the DELCO unit, another GM design failure. Must have been the same engineer that designed the shiny vent trim that reflects in the side windows :tisk:
Sorry to vent...but this really blows.....

Sorry that you are having battery problems....but batteries can fail after a few hours or many years.....and I agree that upgrading the quality when replacing. A few months ago, a neighbor and I drove separately to a funeral, and after the service, he asked me for a jump start from my 99 Cad. The battery in his NEW $75k ricer luxury sedan had failed during the service!!
The standard OEM battery in my 99 DeVille Concours is still going strong after ~36k miles since Dec 1998; and the standard OEM battery started my 2005 N* SRX immediately after sitting from 3/4/07 to 4/16/07 so my experience indicates the battery design used in my N*s as "acceptable"
Suggest that you also have your charging system checked .....just to be sure.
Good luck.

Red07
04-18-07, 12:05 PM
Part of my frustration is that i went thru the exect same thing with my '04 SRX, it was on its THIRD replacement DELCRAP in 28 months when i traded it on the '07. I love the car, it blows any other crossover away!! Just wish some of the engineering was better, and GM would listen to the customer...:)

Jesda
04-18-07, 12:53 PM
Delco battery problems seem to be frequent, not specific to Cadillac or even GM. Some batteries don't come fully charged from the manufacturer, so its best to trickle charge overnight before installing because the alternator can't always keep up -- this leads to early battery failure. I learned this the hard way.

Everstart is highly regarded among wet cells, and dirt cheap.

lennyk1
04-22-07, 12:30 PM
Well, our 2007 was DOA after the first day with a dead battery......figured it was just not charged from sitting on dealer lot, etc. so charged it and seemed fine for about 3 days......this morning it was again DOA so called OnStar for Roadside Assistance. Operator @ OnStar claimed Cadillac RA didnt have batteries, etc. but I got connected to them directly and they DO have actual line mechanics from local dealerships that rotate duty with parts to do a number of fixes.....including new batteries and checking charge system. He arrived in less than an hour guided by gps and took care of the bad battery in less than 15 mins and fyi.....a properly charging battery should register about 14.3 volts on the display.....with the bad battery it showed only between 13.2 & 13.7.....now solidly 14.3.

Also, mechanic indicated there WAS some kind of a recall for 2007 SRX batteries and that the dealer should have ensured this one had been checked.....not sure if dealer had, but all seems fine now.

Moral.....don't let OnStar tell you that Cadillac RA can only either jump your car or have it towed.....in Phoenix anyway they have "rolling mechanics".....smile

73Thumper
05-06-07, 09:50 PM
Lenny - FYI, just bought a 07 - so far so good. I did watch the voltage readout - and it moves all over the place from 12.7 to 14.3. Consulted my manual - and this is NORMAL. The SRX has a charging feature and CPU control the reduces charge voltage when it is not really needed. Again this info was in my 07 owners manual, don't remember the section though....