: Fender Scratcher[??]

smoey847
04-16-07, 08:57 PM
Well, it finally happened. My white diamond V8 STS with nav, etc. got rear-ended this morning, while I was taking my son to high school. I was hit by a Junior cheerleader in a Honda Accord, and she even admitted that she was 'doing' her hair. So, I'm at a 4way stop, and all of a sudden, I feel a big JERK! So, I pull off to the side, and so does she. I get out and am quite surprised that there isn't a big dent in the bumper, cause she hit hard, but then I remembered I had plastic bumpers. But, it did scratch it. So, at first, the girl's all like, "I'll buy you a new bumper". I just had to get in, "You've only just hit a $70,000 Cadillac. But, I knew that I should call and get a police report for insurance purposes. She begged me not to, cause she had already been in a wreck, and she would get her liscense taken away, or something. So, about this time, it starts pouring down. So, I tell the girl to call her parents, because she's crying now. They show up and call the insurance company, and the insurance company said that a report was not needed. So, after the agreement, I went on to work, and later, I noticed that the rear bumper was about 2 inches lower that it should be. OH GOD! Now, i'm pissed more. lol. So, later on, I take it to the Cadillac body shop, and they say it's gonna cost $700 to remove the bumper, buff it, repaint it, and put it back on. Pretty expensive accident for them, huh?

z06bigbird
04-16-07, 09:58 PM
A friend of mine just re-painted a bumper. Paint itself was $450. Your paint is even more expensive than that.

Ed

Force-1
04-16-07, 10:41 PM
The real concern here is damage to the shock absorbing material that you can't see. My wife was rear-ended hard in her BMW 530i, and all that was visible was a scuff in the paint of the rear bumper, about the size of your hand. The kid that hit her had no insurance, and was relieved to see the minor scuff. Turns out the repair was over $1200, as the bumper shock absorbers were blown, and the honeycomb material was compressed. This inner material did the job--saved the sheet metal from damage. If we only repaired the scuffed bumper, any future hit, even very minor, would result in nasty sheet metal damage.

This incident taught me a lesson--no matter how minor the damage in an accident like this might appear, make sure a full inspection is done by a body shop. This means I won't let the person that hit me walk away, as "it's only a scratch."

bhoppes
04-17-07, 08:48 AM
You also may want to make sure that your URPA (rear parking assist), if you have it, is working correctly. My car had been in a rear end collision and one of the sensors does not work and constantly beeps when in reverse.

dkozloski
04-17-07, 06:24 PM
A woman backed into my front bumper and shoved a trailer hitch right through it. She got out begging me to not call the polce because she didn't have insurance. I called them anyway because I've been burned before. It turned out she had a prior DUI, had bought assigned risk insurance and let it lapse. Her car was impounded and forfeited. I got a summons for her trial next month and the city attorney tells me he's going for jail time for her. Meanwhile I'm out my $250 deductible on my uninsured motorist coverage. Driving without liability insurance is very inconsiderate and dumb.

z06bigbird
04-17-07, 07:20 PM
A woman backed into my front bumper and shoved a trailer hitch right through it. She got out begging me to not call the polce because she didn't have insurance. I called them anyway because I've been burned before. It turned out she had a prior DUI, had bought assigned risk insurance and let it lapse. Her car was impounded and forfeited. I got a summons for her trial next month and the city attorney tells me he's going for jail time for her. Meanwhile I'm out my $250 deductible on my uninsured motorist coverage. Driving without liability insurance is very inconsiderate and dumb.

Some drivers with insurance are inconsiderate and dumb. Not even talking about New Jersey either.

Ed

dhemrick
04-17-07, 09:10 PM
I don't know how it is in other states, but in NC if your insurance lapses even for a day, they send you a notice and fine you. They even caught a paperwork glitch when I changed insurance companies which made it appear that I didn't have insurance for 3 days (agent wrote down the wrong termination date). The NCDMV is somehow tied in with the insurance companies. I got it straightened out, but it made me aware of how keen they are on keeping drivers insured.

As an insured motorist, I like this policy. However, that is like locks you put on your house doors... it only stops honest people. We have a huge problem with unlicensed/uninsured motorists driving cars with bad or stolen tags here. If they hit you, they just get out and run away.

Benjamin Simon
04-18-07, 09:01 AM
In my mum's DTS, someone hit her rear and screwed up the trunk. You could only tell by looking at it very close. $1200 later, it is good as new.

malcolm
04-18-07, 02:47 PM
Some drivers with insurance are inconsiderate and dumb. Not even talking about New Jersey either.

Ed
Hey, what's wrong wit Joisey?