: Funny thing I discovered

ascariSTS
04-14-07, 11:44 PM
I don't know what's the reason behind it but,

If you remove the front headlight plugs, you can't start the car... A message will pop up "Shift to P" ... even it is in P ...

what safety issue is behind that ?...

z06bigbird
04-15-07, 01:09 AM
GM is probably trying to avoid a lawsuit, when you pick up your car at 4pm, start a 2 hour trip in winter, and you are not aware that your lights are out. Then you have a wreck. (Mechanic forgot to plug lights in.)

Ed

dhemrick
04-15-07, 09:30 AM
GM is probably trying to avoid a lawsuit, when you pick up your car at 4pm, start a 2 hour trip in winter, and you are not aware that your lights are out. Then you have a wreck. (Mechanic forgot to plug lights in.)

Ed

True, but you would think that the car would say something like "Headlights inoperative" instead of "Shift from P" which is not a true error message for the condition present.

Even my 78 Toronado has a light on the dash that says "Lamp Out".

Just guessing here, but it sounds like having those lights unplugged takes the software down an error leg that has a default error text of "Shift from P". The coders thought that if it matches no other case, then the transmission must not be in park. They didn't think to test the case where the headlights were unplugged.

I'm a telecom software tester by trade (geek), so I see this kind of thing all of the time. :) I'd be writing this one up as a bug.

The good part is that at least the car's software is aware of the condition. It just doesn't handle it properly.

ascariSTS
04-16-07, 12:12 AM
Well, if that's the case, I'm impressed... too much into safety... it's great anyways :)

dhemrick

I think they are aware of this anyway... Actually it wasn't me who knew it... I got this message and "Check engine" light was on... I couldn't start the car... I asked the dealer... they immediately asked me if the headlights are disconnected or not... of course it was...