: '95 Eldorado Sputtering and Backfiring?

AndrewSAshby
04-14-07, 03:10 PM
I have a '95 Eldorado 2 door with about 80,000 miles. Recently, it has been sputtering and backfiring when I accelerate. This only happens at low RPMs and/or when I am accelerating slowly. Since I have had this problem, it always idles very rough and smells like it is running rich.

I have had two mechanics tell me two different things. The mechanic at the dealership said something about going in and scraping out some buildup (I can't remember exactly what he said). A mechanic at a local shop said that I just needed a new EGR valve.

Does anyone know what this could be? The guy at the dealership acted like it was pretty common (but he also said it would take about $500 to fix it). I want to be sure before I spend that much. Thanks for your help.

eldorado1
04-14-07, 05:10 PM
Codes??

Off the cuff, sounds like a TPS issue.

Ranger
04-14-07, 08:39 PM
Have you had the fuel rail recall done? This is a common problem afterwards. Moving the old wires around seems to cause a misfire. I'd replace the plugs & wires (be sure to use A/C Delco). Do a search for "Stutter, Engine or Trans?". See if that sounds like your problem.

Also regarding the rich problem, check the FPR. Very easy to do. Check the Tech Tips section for the procedure.