: Hybrid Escalade is coming... FALL 2007

Falkolade
04-14-07, 03:22 PM
Well gentleman the vehicle your all waitng for is here...

The hybrid Escalade this fall...

Mind you... Gas Economy is up 25%!!! so instead of 12 MPGs you'll get 15!!!

In all seriousness I think this would actually be kinda cool... drop some dubs on the hybrid escalade and you will have another hit...

Its not going to be worth the extra dough, but it will make you environmental girl/wife happy... How much you guys think this would add to the sticker?

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060201/FREE/60201002/1041

Jesda
04-14-07, 04:17 PM
That should be interesting. For years, "hybrid" has meant "smug toaster-driving douchebag."

Yes, I'm aware of the Silverado, Vue, and Escape hybrids.

Hopefully this means the Escalade will have the cool tailgate-party-friendly power outlets that the Silverado got.

Playdrv4me
04-14-07, 10:39 PM
OH SNAP! 15MPG! Call the Sierra Club! :rolleyes:

07slade
04-15-07, 01:29 AM
so i did the math, and im Averaging about 15mpg, and my friends brother in-law drives a prius and he is ALWAYS bashing my escalade, but you would need 2 prii to move 7 people, i looked and hes averaging 40.8 (round to 41) so when you take 2 prii to get the same place one escalade could get hes really getting 21 MPG, so yeah it does do better than the escalade, but i probably wouldn't be caught dead in a prius, and if the escalade hybrid has a CVT im going to .....well i'll think of something

hcvone
04-15-07, 07:29 AM
If they put the good Allison trans in the new truck I will have to get one to supercharge, that will take care of the extra gas mileage. ;)

caddycruiser
04-15-07, 04:15 PM
...and if the escalade hybrid has a CVT im going to .....well i'll think of something

No, not a CVT, but rather a conventional stepped gear transmission.

Here was a good release on the Yukon Hybrid:

LOS ANGELES – The 2008 GMC Yukon Hybrid, featuring the world’s first two-mode hybrid propulsion system in an SUV, will offer consumers a 25-percent improvement in overall fuel economy when it arrives at dealerships toward the end of next year.

By utilizing innovative hybrid technology and Active Fuel Management™ cylinder deactivation technology, the Yukon Hybrid will deliver a spectacular combination of fuel efficiency and power, while maintaining the capabilities of a full-size SUV.

“GMC has always stood for engineering excellence, so we’re extremely proud to be the first to market with a two-mode hybrid SUV to further improve our segment-leading fuel economy while providing all the performance you expect from GMC,” said John Larson, general manager, GMC.

The GMC Yukon Hybrid is powered by an aluminum small-block Vortec V-8 engine that maintains important performance attributes of full-size trucks, such as towing at 6,000 pounds. To offset the added weight from the hybrid propulsion system, GM redesigned certain vehicle components to optimize aerodynamics. These design changes include a new hood, front and rear fascias and a sleek GMC grille.

While traditional full hybrid systems offer only one electric mode that is utilized during low-speed driving, GM is teaming up with DaimlerChrysler and BMW Group to co-develop the two-mode hybrid system, which is a patented fuel-saving technology with one mode for city driving and one mode for highway driving.

The first mode of the system is for low speed and light loads. In this mode, the hybrid system can operate with electric power only, engine power only and any combination of engine and electric power. When the first mode operates as electric only, fuel consumption is reduced in heavy stop-and-go traffic by shutting off the engine for extended periods of time and moving exclusively under electric power at low speeds.

The second mode is primarily used at highway speeds. In addition to electric assist, the second mode integrates sophisticated electronic controls, such as Active Fuel Management, cam phasing and late-intake valve closure, to allow even more efficient engine operation with electric motors less than half the size of a traditional “one-mode” hybrid system. Full eight-cylinder engine power is provided when conditions demand it, such as passing, towing or climbing a steep grade.

The two-mode system also leverages a four-speed automatic transmission and electronic controls in an integrated, powerful and compact system that can be used with gas and diesel engines, front- and rear-wheel-drive configurations and cars, trucks and SUVs.

“The GMC Yukon Hybrid will be equipped with unique powertrain technology that provides a terrific combination of fuel economy, performance and towing capability in a full-size SUV,” said Tom Stephens, group vice president, GM Powertrain. “The Yukon Hybrid’s 25-percent composite fuel efficiency improvement highlights GM’s commitment to save as much fuel as possible by applying hybrid technology to the highest fuel-consuming vehicles first.”

Should be a 6-speed, but aside from that error, all the same deal.

Falkolade
04-16-07, 11:18 AM
so do you think this will be an option on the lade, or a different model?

What do you guys think cost would be?

caddycruiser
04-16-07, 12:57 PM
so do you think this will be an option on the lade, or a different model?

What do you guys think cost would be?

It'll be a Hybrid model, just like the Tahoe and Yukon. Could have minor fasica or trim revisions like them as well.

Price is the big wonder right now. The systems for these trucks are the first FULL hybrids GM will be using, so they won't be as low priced as the few current mild hybrids they have. I'm purely guessing, but I would think about a $3-5k premium over a similarly equipped all gas model, but GM has said absolutely nothing in that regard.

Given how high regular models go in pricing with options, it could be a very slippery slope, with the hybrids potentially being VERY pricey, depending on what they decide.

Dif
04-17-07, 03:57 AM
I don't see the point at all of having a Hybrid SUV if it cost $5,000.00 more to buy it to save gas.
$5,000.00 divided by $3.00 a gallon = 1,666 gallons and if the average is 13mpg with an SUV all gas motor you can drive 21,666 miles.

If the average is 17mpg with an Hybrid SUV you can drive 28,322 miles.

The difference is 6,656 more miles in the Hybrid but...
have to divide that by 13 mpg you would have got anyway in the all gas SUV so it = 512 gallons you saved but yet again..
... multiply 512 gallons by $3.00 a gallon = $1,536 in savings to go an extra 6,000 miles.

Sounds good except need to drive 75,000 - 88,000 miles to save $5,000.00 that would have been spent for gas.
But that $5,000 was already spent to buy the higher priced Hybrid SUV.

Here's the good point I guess:
After 75,000 miles,... the savings are great.

Here's the bad point:
We all use less gas and the Oil Companies make less money so they raise the price of gas to make up for money they're losing on Hybrid economy vehicles.
Sheesh, then we'll pay more for the SUV and more for the gas.:bighead:

It's late and I think I need sleep :alchi:

Falkolade
04-17-07, 08:58 PM
I view it the same way... I think gas would have to go sky high to actually make a hybrid a smart financial choice...

ethanol is the biggest joke out of all of them... its just a subsidy for farmers...

However if it was 1-2 grand i think i would opt for the hybrid option

caddycruiser
04-17-07, 10:44 PM
However if it was 1-2 grand i think i would opt for the hybrid option

Hopefully reality is much closer to that, because I agree. But I just don't expect it to be, for whatever reason, both because these SUV's are so exorbitantly priced in the first place and also because they wouldn't want it becoming the volume seller.

But, again, we'll see.

Falkolade
04-18-07, 11:26 AM
Hopefully reality is much closer to that, because I agree. But I just don't expect it to be, for whatever reason, both because these SUV's are so exorbitantly priced in the first place and also because they wouldn't want it becoming the volume seller.

But, again, we'll see.

I think the biggest problem gm has, is when they come out with new technology they tend to overprice it dramatically... take for example when "Quadrasteer" came out, it was only available on the ultra plush models of the suburban, silverado, and sierra denali... GM made this only available to the high end consumer, when in fact the person that needs quadrasteer the most is prob buying a "work truck"...

I think the hybrid lade will be cool, but gm will package the hybrid with unique wheels, grill, and other stuff to account for its highly inflated price, no doubt!

caddycruiser
04-18-07, 08:55 PM
I think the biggest problem gm has, is when they come out with new technology they tend to overprice it dramatically... take for example when "Quadrasteer" came out, it was only available on the ultra plush models of the suburban, silverado, and sierra denali... GM made this only available to the high end consumer, when in fact the person that needs quadrasteer the most is prob buying a "work truck"...

I think the hybrid lade will be cool, but gm will package the hybrid with unique wheels, grill, and other stuff to account for its highly inflated price, no doubt!

Very, very true. Except for their "light" Hybrids, like the Saturn Vue and the Aura that was just released, and the upcoming Malibu, which are not overly expensive to produce and don't get many changes--and then sell at prices very close to the regular models.

Unlike those, these will be the first full Hybrids (i.e., can power themselves fully on electric at times), and it's just a big uncertainty about how they'll handle the price...especially so because it's being implemented first on the most expensive (in general) vehicles they sell already.