: Sirius SIR-GM1 is a No-Go

Nascarcamper
04-13-07, 06:20 PM
I have a 2004 SRX AWD with Nav and Bose. Well I tore the rear passenger panel off my SRX today, removed the Bose base speaker, found the/a wire harness, went to Circuit-City and found a friendly gal to open a package on a SIR-GM1 and compare the connectors to mine... they were not even close. I guess I'm back to step one, installing my Sirius Starmate Replay somewhere in the driver area. The good news was I found a antenna junction behind the panel and was able to install my wired FM modulator. Called several dealers and received mixed answers if this would work or not, obviously some knew what they were talking about and some did not unless there is another harness I did not see :thepan: Looked all over the forum here and could not find any clear answer on this install, I guess I know first hand NOW.

DanDan
04-15-07, 02:27 PM
You must have looked at the wrong plug because I do these all the time. It works fine. The xm module is tucked in the right rear quarter and easy to get to. I do them in about twenty minutes. The unit does work! There are two harnesses that come with the gm sir1. It simply plugs right in and you can use the same antenna too.

DanDan

tonygxp
04-15-07, 05:54 PM
You must have looked at the wrong plug because I do these all the time. It works fine. The xm module is tucked in the right rear quarter and easy to get to. I do them in about twenty minutes. The unit does work! There are two harnesses that come with the gm sir1. It simply plugs right in and you can use the same antenna too.

DanDan

I have one as well can you help me get to the box to swap it out? I am trying not to break anything in the process..

Nascarcamper
04-16-07, 07:18 PM

DanDan

My problem is probably due to the fact that my SRX did not come with the factory XM, so unless I'm missing some other harness tucked in somewhere, I could not use it. There was the bass speaker, behind it was a Motorola module, next to that was the sound insulating material with a small module behind it...interesing this module has a arrow on it that says "UP", but the module was upside down and the arrow pointing down, below this there was a space for something else with a 8 pin harness lying below it, only 6 of the 8 positions were populated.

Tony, the rear panels come apart fairly easy, actually only one screw (it is behind the "AIRBAG" small cover, everything else is snap spring clips. Start at the very rear (latch trim), then the upper window trim, then start at the rear and work you're way forward, remove the cup holder and hold-down trim ring. At that point you have enough room to get behind the panel and work with everything else. How's the weather Tony???

tonygxp
04-16-07, 11:40 PM
My problem is probably due to the fact that my SRX did not come with the factory XM, so unless I'm missing some other harness tucked in somewhere, I could not use it. There was the bass speaker, behind it was a Motorola module, next to that was the sound insulating material with a small module behind it...interesing this module has a arrow on it that says "UP", but the module was upside down and the arrow pointing down, below this there was a space for something else with a 8 pin harness lying below it, only 6 of the 8 positions were populated.

Tony, the rear panels come apart fairly easy, actually only one screw (it is behind the "AIRBAG" small cover, everything else is snap spring clips. Start at the very rear (latch trim), then the upper window trim, then start at the rear and work you're way forward, remove the cup holder and hold-down trim ring. At that point you have enough room to get behind the panel and work with everything else. How's the weather Tony???

thanks, the weather?? I feel like I live in Seattle lol.... rain for 2 days and another 3 coming? glad I got that coat of wax on my chrome wheels before all this started I waited until now to install them thinking we're done with the winter BS sleet mix, not so fast:thepan: ...

I think you're right about the "XM equipped" SRX having the easy hook up to the SIR1, not sure if it can go without factory installed sat radio? good luck..

Nascarcamper
04-17-07, 02:36 PM
Here's how I mounted my Starmate so far... not bad but I would rather have it in the Nav unit.

DanDan
04-23-07, 04:23 PM
If your car came with the nav and no xm then you can still do it but you will have to add pins to the back of the radio and do it that way. But it can be done.

DanDan

Nascarcamper
04-23-07, 05:57 PM
I would imagine you are saying that I would have to add wires to a harness already there, correct? Or do you mean I would actually have to add pins to the connector in the radio? The big problem there is... I have requested anybody to just give me some clues on how the radio comes out of the dash and nobody will chime in.:mad: I have had the top air vents off but that bottom bezel around the heat/cool controls doesn't want to snap off to easily, kinda makes me nervous. So for now it has been reduced to a future dream.

dietermod
04-23-07, 08:09 PM
I have a pdf file illustrating the radio removal. Note that I have never done it and cannot offer any advice but I will be glad to E-mail it to you. Send me your e-mail address at dietermod@aol.com

Nascarcamper
04-24-07, 05:14 PM
I have a pdf file illustrating the radio removal. Note that I have never done it and cannot offer any advice but I will be glad to E-mail it to you. Send me your e-mail address at dietermod@aol.com
I sent you a e-mail... Thanks for the offer.

Cadillib
07-05-07, 08:40 PM
All (dietermod, Nascarcamper, DanDan, tonygxp, and anyone else that may be able to offer assistance),

I just read all of your email threads (regarding SIR-GM1 install in an Ď04 SRX), and I believe I may Iím in the exact situation and am hoping you may be able to help me. I just purchased an '04 SRX AWD with Nav and Bose. I am not certain if I have an XM ready unit. How can you tell? I donít see any buttons or digital displays that reference XM. There is an antenna located inside the windshield above the rear-view mirror, although Iím not sure if itís a Nav or Sat antenna. I just received my SIR-GM1 in the mail today, and have yet to begin installation. I'd like to be prepared for any eventuality. You mentioned adding pins, and not sure what that entails. Could you explain? Also, deitermod mentioned he had head unit removal instructions, so if you would allow me, I'd like to email you for them as well. Thanks to all of you in advance for any words of wisdom you may have for me. PS. LOVE the SRX, and will never want to part w/ it once the Sirius is installed!

Mike

:confused:

Nascarcamper
07-11-07, 06:05 AM
If you have the factory XM the unit will be mounted back in the passenger rear quarter panel, back by the Bose woofer. I did not have the XM in my SRX and could not find the harness connectors they all spoke about. I have not tried pulling the radio and searching for the pins on the rear, don't know if I ever will, I guess I'm happy with my overhead mount for now. Good luck if you try this and keep us all informed about the outcome. Bye for now... it's off to the Chicago NASCAR race:thumbsup:.

coacholy
10-23-07, 06:10 PM

DanDan

What if I have bose navigation with rear dvd with NO xm, is the wiring harness still there?