: 1986 rwd cruise control

norman warren
04-13-07, 05:58 PM
has anybody worked on the cruise control system ? Whazt were the troublesome parts what usually went bad on theese? I tried changing the cruise computer with no results, the brake switch is ok the green light on the cruise control switch does not come on when the engage button is pressed. any ideas ? thanks in advance for any help or ideas Norman

jayoldschool
04-13-07, 07:43 PM
My mother's 84 FWB is having cruise probs, too. When you try to "set", the green light goes on, then off. The cruise won't engage.

I have read that the gears inside the box (that the speedo cables connect to) are plastic and easily strip. After fuses, this will be my first check.

My_favorite_Brougham
04-14-07, 12:51 AM
I find this to be a very common issue for the in-dash cruise control switches. I had the same problem, as many others I know. The switch is simply bad, and you arn't making a connection. So I replaced mine. See my post on this thread:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1985-deville-fleetwood-1985/92532-need-help-1988-brougham-delegance.html

lochenjons
04-14-07, 06:28 PM
all that happend with mine was the throttle cable got disconnected from the cruise control unit. easy fix on my part but its something to check

Cadillac Giovanni
04-14-07, 11:11 PM
Yeah, if the green light isn't going on, it's definitely an electrical problem of some sort. If the light does go on, it's probably an issue with a vacuum line, be sure to check those anyway though. One day my cruise control stopped working, and about a week later I found i had pinched a hose in the filter housing while i was changing the fuel filter.