: Cadillac Experts and Gurus

BeelzeBob
04-26-03, 11:11 AM
Okay. Let's get this together now.. First - a simple question. What is a more experienced level? Expert of Guru? I'd like to suggest we have several levels to work with. At first, anyone who's considered an Expert (for example) would be a level 1 expert. As that person becomes more and more noted for their excellent answers, help, support, etc - they move up a level. We can worry about how that happens later. Sometimes it's better just to get something going with quirks - than wait forever to get it perfect - and maybe never have it happen...

I also think it would be a good idea for anyone who feels they can be considered an expert - or atleast an expert in some specific area - to post sort of a resume of what they've done and can do. Each section (STS, Electrical, Suspension) can have one or two experts - or maybe even more as time goes on - and they will be noted either at the top of the forum and/or in a sticky thread...

BeelzeBob
04-26-03, 08:26 PM
Anyone care to discuss Katshot's great idea any further?

kcnewell
04-26-03, 09:22 PM
NO!.............NO!

gspencer914
04-26-03, 09:52 PM
Good idea!!

Katshot
04-27-03, 09:53 PM
Where do you want people to post their "resumes"?

BeelzeBob
04-28-03, 07:40 AM
How about right here? We'll see what people know, find a good place for them / find out what area they want to be most helpful - and give them an initial ranking. Expert Level: 1 - or if they're highly qualified in a specific area, Expert Level: 2.. As time goes on and someone is becoming very helpful to many people - those levels can go up.

There should be a way to distinguish who's been doing something for a long, long time and someone who is relatively new at it.. We're still building on ideas here - but we can get these "resumes" going while we're at it...

Katshot
04-28-03, 07:46 AM
I don't want to discount the serious DIYers either. Sometimes guys that have been doing work on their cars themselves for awhile are as much an expert as some guys that have had actual jobs doing it. I think we just have to rely on the individual to be honest with their abilities.

BeelzeBob
04-28-03, 07:49 AM
Do it yourselfers can be qualified as experts; I would think.. I'd say that if we could all be honest, and maybe pick a level for ourselves - say level 1 or level 2 - that would be great. Someone who has SOME knowledge in a specific area could be of help to people. I don't think anyone will be ashamed to say they don't have a whole lot of experience doing something - but they have more than the average person - level 1...

BeelzeBob
04-30-03, 09:04 AM
Somebody start posting up qualifications...

Katshot
04-30-03, 09:29 AM
*20 years Fleet Manager/Head Mechanic/Purchasing Agent (vehicles and parts) in the the largest "all Cadillac" fleet in the country.
*Attended GM Training School for:
1. Advanced Electronics Training
2. CCC (Computer Command Control)
3. Cadillac DFI
4. EFI/PFI
5. Fleetwood Electronics
6. Basic and Advanced Air Conditioning
7. Engine Performance Diagnosis
8. LT1/L99 Fuel and emissions
9. 4.0/4.6 Engine Mechanical
10. Tech 1 Fam.
11. Tech 2 Fam.

*I am ASE certified in:
1. Engine repair
2. Suspension/Streeing
3. Brakes
4. Electrical/Electronic Systems
5. Heating and Air Conditioning

*Had several technical articles published in Limousine trade magazines.
*Spent 5 years giving seminars at Limousine trade shows.
*20 years experience with Cadillac Engineering as a "Fleet Representative".
* Was a "Listening Post" source for GM
* Was the First Fleet to get a "Dealer Number"
* Was one of 4 original fleets used by Cadillac for the 200,000 Miles Durability Test Program.
* Worked Limousine trade shows with Cadillac as a technical consultant.
* Was the ONLY person allowed by Cadillac to purchase and operate V4U cars and operate as sedans for purpose of evaluating durability (1995)
* Spent 2 years as technical/warranty manager for a major limousine coachbuilder.
* 2 years as owner of The Limo-Doctor Inc. an auto repair facility specializing in fleet repairs.

That's all I can remember right this second ;)

ljklaiber
04-30-03, 10:29 AM
Age 62! Buildin race engines..(mostly Chevy V8) since l1970. Circle track and some Drag race stuff. Was with MC Anderson Winston cup Team 1979 -1983. Specialty was cylinder heads, (Airflow and porting etc). Learned that no one is ever an expert, especially in Stock Car Racing. Learning never ends. Will help if I can. Have no experience modifying or rebuilding the Northstar. Just love mine. 95 sls 138k and doin OK!

KC is probably the shop guy , but he says No..No! LOL

elwesso
05-03-03, 12:53 AM
I was thinking about saying something, but after that little spleal by kat i dont think ill be doing so...

Katshot
05-03-03, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by elwesso
I was thinking about saying something, but after that little spleal by kat i dont think ill be doing so...

Say what?

kcnewell
05-03-03, 09:57 AM
??????????

elwesso
05-03-03, 11:50 AM
About any knowledge that I may have. Basically, I havent even gotten to the surface so I can scratch it.

Katshot
05-03-03, 06:14 PM
Wes, didn't you read the one post I made about the DIY'rs?
I absolutely believe that just because someone may not have "professional" experience, or classroom time, that certainly doesn't limit thier actual useful experience. I personally know many guys that know MUCH more than me on MANY automotive subjects and have NEVER had an automotive job, or any professional training. I ABSOLUTELY believe in OJT (On the Job Training). So don't think for a second that you don't have any qualifications. Hell, I know a decent amount about stereo systems and installs, but 100% of my knowledge has been from OJT, and what I 've picked up from others and books. Don't sell yourself short. If you feel you have some degree of experience with something, let us know.

ljklaiber
05-03-03, 06:51 PM
I agree with Katshot, Wes. The main, and only thing that matters is to be an incurable gearhead. When we win, we party. When we lose we wait til next week..lol.

elwesso
05-04-03, 12:13 AM
In that case.....

I can usually diagnose problems (with the drivetrain, car electronics still baffle me!) pretty well, either by reading, hearing or smelling. I know quite a bit on how the northstar system operates, mainly because of my extensive time on the forums (GMF). I can actually do some jobs, but havent had a whole lot of experience doing them. I "know" in theory how to do them, but actually doing it is another story. Since the purchase of my Q45, i plan on doing many jobs to save some labor money, and besides its more fun!

I think once I get past the intimidation factor (and it is pretty big looking under the hood of my Q, so many hoses and wires and STUFF!!!), I think I'll be a pretty good DIYer. And I also plan in the future to do ALL my own work, minus tranny rebuilds and big stuff like that.

Katshot
05-04-03, 09:59 AM
Yeah, yeah, but you have no experience so you're a know-nothing! ;)

Sorry dude I just had to bust on ya a little.

Actually, I would say that what you (and everyone else) should concentrate on here is those items that you have ACTUALLY DONE when offering "how-to" advice, unless you note that the advice you're giving is NOT FROM ACTUAL EXPERIENCE.

I think as long as advice from "what you've heard" or "what you saw in a book" is also given with the caution that you "haven't actually done it yourself", you're helping as much as you can without getting somebody into a bad situation.
Face it though, as an example, if you've got ZERO professional training but you just recently performed a repair of some sort on your car, you are now certainly a good source of info on that repair. I know that MAY not read well with some professional guys here since yeah it is possible to be passing along the WRONG way to do the job but hopefully there's enough guys here that will chime in on things that a well-meaning non-professional's advice will get a little redirection from a more knowledgable source IF needed.

kcnewell
05-04-03, 11:05 AM
I think you're asking a lot here! We're a shy group and rarely ever chime in on anything. It's almost like nobody has any opinions on anything.....

In case you didn't recognize it Katshot.......That was sarcasm!:banghead:

Katshot
05-04-03, 05:20 PM
Thanks KC, I know sarcasm has a way of slipping past me ;)

kcnewell
05-04-03, 09:37 PM
Just tryin' to help buddy!

Maximln
07-05-03, 08:30 PM
Well I am far from any technical expert as far as working on Cadillacs but I sure do have a lot of product knowledge about them, mostly from reading. I have every Cadillac brochure from 1964 to the present, every year and model. I also have most of the factory service manuals from 1974 to 1998 and have read all of them cover to cover. I also have many books about Cadillacs. I learned about Cadillacs on my first one. It was a 75 Sedan DeVille with about 300,000 miles on it when I got it. Needless to say, it needed a lot of attention but I learned a lot about that car. While I never really touched the engine, steering or transmission (I did change a valve cover gasket once on it), I was pretty good with all the accesories. I learned all about A/C from that car and it's troublesome VIR assembly. I used to continually rebuild it's Automatic Level Control compressor as the rubber diaphragm would get holes or the piston would go out. I even changed the heater core once and I swear, I never thought I would get that car back together again! I was good at troubleshooting the electronics (Cruise control, Twilight, Guidematic, Illuminated entry [I eventually had to wrap the Entry Module in that car in plastic because for some reason when it rained, the module would get wet and short out). It was a fun car to learn on.

I also know a lot of history about Cadillacs again, just from reading books. I haven't done too much with currect STS as it still under warranty but I'm sure when it goes out, I will troubleshooting again but it just seems so much complicated these days! :banghead2

Max

elwesso
07-05-03, 10:12 PM
I have always wanted to do something like that! I want to get a car that still runs that I can just tinker with...... And the way I see it, if I mess up something, I can always make the worlds most powerful fan!!

Ralph
07-05-03, 10:38 PM
When I make more money, I would LOVE to get an old Charger or 442 or Mustang Fastback from the 60's and restore everything. My ideal garage would have a hoist, florescent lighting, 2 bays and about 30 by 40 square feet. I still have most of my dad's tools from the 1970's as he was a mechanic, but I never did follow in his footsteps. My cousin (a pilot=lots of money) just restored a '70's Triumph Spitfire, took off all sheetmetal, engine, trans, etc. He paid about 4,000 and got 12,000! Not bad for something that will get you away from your wife for a while. :lightbulb

Angela Desmond
08-15-03, 07:10 AM
Hi guys. I don't have anywhere near the knowledge of katshot and some of you other guys. All my experience is shadetree, backyard stuff on the pre-computer generation motors. And a lot of book theory. When it comes to the sophisticated computer controlled stuff, I'm totally at a loss. I've changed motors in the backyard, painted a car there, played with porting and combustion chamber work in my small, make-shift, machine shop in the basement, and changed rears and front suspensions in the driveway. Learned about Q-jets as I went along and have no experience with fuel injection. My favorite book teachers are David Vizard and Carroll Smith. So I read "rocket science" and have no where to apply it :crying2:

Stoneage_Caddy
08-20-03, 12:37 PM
Well here goes , just remeber im not as smart as the stuff listed below

jobs:
94-98 Small engine schools and was a tech at sears
98 -Brittish car mechanic apprintance at local shop
98 -Apprtinace at Racecar Fab Shop
98-99 Parts Sales at Pepboys
99-03 USAF Firetruck Mechanic,Tire Changer, Gen purpose Mech (hummvee,dodge ram diesel), refuleing truck mechanic ,and other assorted jobs at eielson AFB alaksa and the persian gulf

Offical Certifications
ASE: Brakes,suspension/steering,automatic and manual transmissions and transaexls, and something to do with on board diagnostics but i cant remeber what it was

Military :
General purpose mechanic school grad
firetruck school grad
gm steering system grad
4l80e school grad
6.2 litre gm diesel school grad (maybe i could help a caddy diesel guy?)

then a ton of shadetree stuff on the side

like i said stuff ive done and learned dont mean much here for caddys , im pretty much lost on caddy as my personal experence has been with diesel military trucks, Triumphs or nissan 4 cyls , but it doent stop me from trying or asking questions ,i think the best mechanics in the world are the ones that ask questions , the guys with the awnsers are damn near gods

EDIT : damn i keep forgetting to add stuff , angie you and them books are a great thing to have around ,esp them GM manuals , feel free to crawl under the hood of the sedan deville anytime

ShadowLvr400
10-03-03, 06:06 PM
Basically, almost 2 years of work on my own baby. Man she's a bitch to work with. Suspension, engine, nitrous, electronics, audio, cleaning, and maintenence. I know a bit about everything on my car, and if I don't know an answer, I know who does. :)

tuttlejr
10-04-03, 02:05 PM
How about right here? We'll see what people know, find a good place for them / find out what area they want to be most helpful - and give them an initial ranking. Expert Level: 1 - or if they're highly qualified in a specific area, Expert Level: 2.. As time goes on and someone is becoming very helpful to many people - those levels can go up.

There should be a way to distinguish who's been doing something for a long, long time and someone who is relatively new at it.. We're still building on ideas here - but we can get these "resumes" going while we're at it...

I know quite a bit about automotive finishes, problems with same, applying, etc. I have an automotive background, selling, buying, repairing etc. Was an automotive paint jobber for many years and dealt with the refinishing trade. Auto Dealers, Paint and Body Shops, Schools and so on. Do not know all the answers but do know many.

Age and treachery will always surpass youth and skills.

Stealth
10-18-03, 06:40 PM
NO titles .. bad idea ....

why create a CAST .... ahh NO NO no ....

you wanna know how good of an idea this is? drop me an email and i will point you to another site ... where Gods, Gurus and Masters reign in silliness ...

Anyone care to discuss Katshot's great idea any further?

the Sandman
10-19-03, 10:33 AM
It hasn't been implemented in the 6 months since this Thread started, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it... :)

Don't let that stop you from telling us about your Cadillac or automotive related knowledge and experience though!

Stealth
10-19-03, 12:46 PM
good to know such ideas (titles) will not go on .. as of YESTERDAY, the silly titles and stars and such non-sense was done away with at that other site i was refering too .. in a revolution of sorts ...

as for my experience, the 1988 Allanté with all it's quirks and challenges is said to teach one enough to deal with just about any other GM car ...

some say that if one can survive such (Allanté), one must then be in love with such and learn to accept her's shortcomings .. aside from that, 4x4 Broncos and "Mark" series Lincolns ...

It hasn't been implemented in the 6 months since this Thread started, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it... :)

Don't let that stop you from telling us about your Cadillac or automotive related knowledge and experience though!