: New but still overheating

thatwolfofmine
04-13-07, 10:07 AM
Hi, I'm new to this forum. My Caddy is not new. It is a 1996 Sedan DeVille w a North* engine. It's been overheating every day now. My mechanic (who came with the car) now tells me that I need a new thermostat. I'll let you know how that pans out.

Good to be here. And good to be heard.

Oh, btw, I love my Caddy. It has only this one problem. Everything else about her, Beverly, is wonderful.

deville555
04-13-07, 10:12 AM
:welcome:
What temperature is it getting up to?

urbanski
04-13-07, 10:39 AM
thanks for joining. i moved this here.
The Lounge is just for saying hi. Questions belong in the proper forum for your vehicle.
Best of luck.

Ranger
04-13-07, 10:46 AM
:welcome: and good luck. A thermostat would be a cheap easy fix. Be sure to keep up with cooling system maintenance. VERY IMPORTANT.

zonie77
04-13-07, 11:18 AM
Before you get too involved have a radiator shop check for exhaust gases in the coolant.

A radiator shop will do it much cheaper and faster than having your mechanic do it. Make sure you do not add coolant just before having the test done.

On the small chance the HG's are leaking that test will save you wasting a lot of time and money.

misfit6794
04-13-07, 11:26 AM
I don't wanna scare you but northstars are notorious for blown headgaskets. If the car is overheating everyday you run the chance of blowing them if they aren't already shot. Check the exhaust for coolant, and the oil to see if it is milky, these are two easy ways to check for a headgsaket problem. If everything checks out, get the thermostat fix, asap. If your headgaskets are blown, they will blow without proper maintainence to the cooling system.