: oil filter 96 sts help

da324
03-28-04, 11:21 AM
I'm trying to find my oil filter on my 96 sts that I just bought. The problem is the car is so low that I can't see anything. I don't really have any low spots in my yard to pull the car over to get a better look. Does anyone have any secrets they could share of getting to it, or, give me the general location of the filter? I really don't like other people changing my oil and I don't have a manual yet. All responses would be appreciated. Thanks, dv...

KrazyK55
03-28-04, 12:48 PM
I'm reasonably sure that the STS oil filter will be located in the same place as it is on my 96 Eldorado. My filter is located at the lower front center of the engine and can't be seen unless you have the car up on ramps and crawl underneath. In order to change the filter you will have to buy a special cup type filter wrench (a universal one is available at Wal-Mart.) which fits on a 3/8" drive extension because, there isn't room to use a standard band type oil filter wrench.

Note, if you don't have ramps they can be purchased for a reasonable price at Wal- Mart or most other discount stores. Also, you will probably have to lay some 2"x6" boards on the ground leading to the ramps so your front bumper will clear. That's what I do & it works great for me.

Hope this helps,

Dave PS, The Oil capacity is 7 quarts

El Dobro
03-28-04, 07:46 PM
If you use an inspection mirror, you should be able to see it up under there. It's front and center, right behind the frame. When you do the oil change, it takes 7 1/2 quarts with the filter change. It's a piece of cake to do the change yourself.

da324
03-29-04, 12:36 AM
Thank you both for replying. Dave I happen to have a 3/8 oil filter wrench you're speaking of and had been wandering if the car would clear ramps. Thanks to you both for the tips. Dv...

El Dobro
03-29-04, 08:10 AM
Not a problem.
If you don't have ramps yet, look around where they sell them for the extensions. I bought mine at an R&S Strauss and they offered the extensions for the ramps too, and you will need them.

da324
03-29-04, 10:26 AM
Thanks El Dobro,
Is R&S Strauss a parts company? I've never heard of them. Also, do you play a Dobro? Thanks again, dv...

El Dobro
03-29-04, 10:10 PM
Yes to both questions. R&S Strauss is a chain of auto parts store/repair shops that's up in this area. They're handy as long as it's not real serious parts that you're looking for. One of the clerks looked at my like I was nuts when I asked him for a radiator petcock socket once.

I play Dobro in a few bluegrass bands. El Dobro is my nickname. The whole thing is El Dobro Supremo, which is what a drunk called me at a bluegrass festival I was playing. After that, the band I was playing with at the time kept referring to me as such until everyone was calling me El Dobro. It stuck.

da324
03-29-04, 11:40 PM
I thought as much. I play/have a dobro as well, but I'm much better on guitar. I also play Bluegrass, but I can't seem to find many people in the Tampa Bay area with the same taste in music. Everytime I listen to Jerry Douglas he makes me want to play and discourages me at the same time. I had a band and they moved to Eureka Springs Arkansas for a more conducive environment for Bluegrass and I met a woman and ended up in TB. I plan on getting up that way eventually though. Thanks again for the info and if you're ever down here you can contact me at d-n-a@att.net and we'll pick some. Take cars, dv...

El Dobro
04-01-04, 02:19 AM
If you like Jerry Douglas a lot, you may want to check out his website. It's at www.jerrydouglas.com . You'll even see me posting there now and then. Happy picking. Dobros and Caddys, it's so right.

da324
04-01-04, 08:00 PM
Thanks, I keep that website in my favorite menu. As a matter of fact I knew Eldobro rang a bell, because I've read your posts before. Small world. dv..