: Door Keyhole Problem...

///MB
04-13-07, 04:12 AM
Hey guys, I just noticed that my drivers door keyhole cylinder thing was pushed way in. When I insert the key, only about half of the key goes into the cylinder. The worst part is, you can easily turn it and lock/unlock the door! I guess this is a known problem? Is it easy to remove the cylinder and put a cover on instead?

Also, will the dealer fix this under warranty?

If you want pics, let me know and I'll post some.

Thanks.

hcvone
04-13-07, 08:25 AM
I just check my one 07' and it looks and works normal, and yes that is a warranty, unless someone was trying to break into your truck.

Kappa-Lac
04-13-07, 09:23 AM
Maybe someone tried to break into your truck????

caddycruiser
04-13-07, 12:12 PM
Maybe someone tried to break into your truck????

Yes...usually something like that is not a manufacturing problem, but VERY often the result of when someone tries to break in by punching the lock. I'd take a closer look at it, for sure.

///MB
04-13-07, 04:49 PM
Yes, it definitely looks like someone tried to break in by punching the key cylinder in. My main concern is that once it's punched in, you can simply use a screwdriver or another key to turn and unlock the car. It shouldn't be that easy!

caddycruiser
04-13-07, 08:55 PM
Yes, it definitely looks like someone tried to break in by punching the key cylinder in. My main concern is that once it's punched in, you can simply use a screwdriver or another key to turn and unlock the car. It shouldn't be that easy!

Well, where there's a will, there's a way, and that happens a lot. It certainly wasn't designed with that as an intention, but it certainly happens with wonderful criminals out and about.

Not sure what you can really do to prevent it, aside from just getting the cylinder/handle replaced and hoping someone doesn't try to break in again. Beyond that, it's sort of an open ended thing--for whatever reason, you realize, they couldn't or didn't get in. So maybe it isn't so easy.

///MB
04-13-07, 10:57 PM
Thanks guys... I dropped it off at the dealer today to get it fixed. Upon closer inspection, they pried the bottom of the handle off and broke the lock mechanism so they could break in. Luckily I haven't found anything missing from the car.

The same thing happened to this guy.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum/87599-2007-escalade-easy-break-into.html?highlight=keyhole+broke

Hope it doesn't cost too much to fix!

///MB
04-16-07, 10:04 PM
Just to give you an update, the dealer charged me about $260 to replace the handle/lock. The key cylinder and door handle are all 1 piece, so you have to replace the whole thing. The part itself was about $70, the rest was labor. Hope this doesn't happen again or to anyone else. Good luck.

EXTadic
04-17-07, 01:38 PM
It's too late now but next time consider eliminating the key hole all together by installing the handle from the rear door on the fronts...

fluke
04-18-07, 01:32 AM
It's too late now but next time consider eliminating the key hole all together by installing the handle from the rear door on the fronts...

Can anyone elaborate on this? I started my own thread about this but nobody replied. Is it easy to switch out the handles by taking out the inner door molding?

Here's the original thread:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum/104535-replacing-driver-handle-keyhole-molding.html