: Spark Plug Wires - Idea?

fubar569
04-13-07, 02:12 AM
does anyone make an aftermarket set to fit the northstar vehicles? i see no listing anywhere but ACDELCO originals...i just believe they dont have/cant make/dont get the boots for the cylinder head side or something...

not that they provide any better performance, but i had an idea...

using taylor thundervolt or other suitable unassembled performance wires as a base...

razor slice old boots on seam and remove wire.
crimp terminal end on new thundervolt (or other) wire
lay wire inside modified boot (modify for bigger wire) making sure end of terminal is lined up with stop in stock boot.
silicone and/or glue boot to reseal

done...

zonie77
04-13-07, 03:19 AM
OK.

Try it and let us know if it worked.

eldorado1
04-13-07, 09:51 AM
magnacore makes wires for our cars......

fubar569
04-13-07, 01:38 PM
magnacore makes wires for our cars......

they do? well...it would be nice if they'd turn up on a search....lol

EDIT: i have found 1 online distributor for the 8.5mm wires - alamo motorsports...153.xx and free shipping

z06bigbird
04-13-07, 02:42 PM
I like creativity.

Ed

jadcock
04-13-07, 03:54 PM
Autolite Professional has a set that is an exact fit for our cars. I was in a pinch once and GMPartsDirect screwed up my ACDelco wire order, and I needed the car for a long trip, so had to go local. The Autolite Pro wires were actually very good. The wires were numbered, like the ACDs, they were direct fit/length, and were even pre-greased like the ACDs. They're still running strong on the '97.

99Classillac
04-14-07, 02:59 PM
Duralast at autozone

misfit6794
04-14-07, 03:12 PM
I thought I remember someone saying that the acdelco wires are actually the best ones to use, i may be wrong. I got a wire set at napa i think they were 7.5 or 8 mm, anything will be better than whats on there, if they are the originals.

jadcock
04-14-07, 03:21 PM
I believe the ACDelco wires are 7mm. The Autolites I got are 7mm (I think). They fit the same in all the wire looms and slots, so I know they're the same size, whatever size that is. I think it's 7mm.

EcSTSatic
04-14-07, 06:50 PM
They make sets designed for the N*. Search, there are cheaper places to buy them than direct from Magnecor.

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/images/mag_spark.gif

Ranger
04-14-07, 09:41 PM
People have reported problems with some after market wires. A/C Delco seem to always work. I'd recommend them.

misfit6794
04-14-07, 10:31 PM
I knew my memory was somewhat decent. I put on some napa ones and they worked fine for 2000 miles before i sold it.

Submariner409
04-14-07, 10:55 PM
Given the lengths we're working with, (pre-COP ignition) considering voltage and amperage drops and large flame kernel platinum padded plugs, insulated coat hanger wire is good enough.

jadcock
04-16-07, 07:42 AM
Given the lengths we're working with, (pre-COP ignition) considering voltage and amperage drops and large flame kernel platinum padded plugs, insulated coat hanger wire is good enough.

Considering only spark performance, that's probably right. But many folks have reported other problems that seem to all stem from EMI. There's a lot of electrical equipment under the hood, and ACDelco wires, in general, seem to be the best at preventing electrical interference.

Submariner409
04-16-07, 09:44 AM
Agree, absolutely.......the coat hanger wire thing was a jab at aftermarketer hype. BTW, I run quite a bit of electronic equipment on my boat, which is powered by a tricked Olds 455 ('70). The spark is supplied by a Pertronix/Delco distributor, Accel coil, and Accel 8mm/500 ohm/ft. wire firing NGK Iridium resistor plugs, and I have no interference problems. You can take an AM pocket radio, tuned between mid-band stations, and use it as an EMI/RF receiver. If the radio buzzes anywhere other than right at the sparkplug connector boot, you have a leak.

EcSTSatic
04-16-07, 12:31 PM
Considering only spark performance, that's probably right. But many folks have reported other problems that seem to all stem from EMI. There's a lot of electrical equipment under the hood, and ACDelco wires, in general, seem to be the best at preventing electrical interference.

Exactly. Common aftermarket performance wires wreaked havoc on my TurboCoupe. Only Motorcraft and Magnecor seemed to work without causing severe "bucking" of the others.