: Clear Coat ... it's only half there

My_favorite_Brougham
04-12-07, 10:28 PM
I have figured out why my white Brougham is two colors - the front has the clear coat, and the back (rear doors on) does not. The rear of the car is actually several shades lighter and you can feel the pinstripe, whereas you can't on the front. Why is that? I have also found that to be the case on some other white Cadillacs I've seen (a '76 Eldorado). So how can I solve this?

I've heard of people "shaving off" a top layer of paint to reveal a factory cleanliness. Can I do this? Because right now it looks like two different cars were stuck together. Besides, the clear coat half looks almost yellow in stark contrast to the aft.

The reason I ask is because I'm fixing to have my new driver fender painted, and I don't want to add another color to the rainbow. Basically I would like my car to be one color. Ya know what I mean?

My_favorite_Brougham
04-12-07, 10:34 PM
Here's a picture, not a very good one. But you can see the color difference. You can also see the fender I'm replacing. The one I've got is gold, and it will be painted.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u135/bugzoff/dr.jpg

cadillac_al
04-13-07, 06:57 PM
It's pretty hard to match white paint IMO. I have done a couple white cars of my own that came out like yours. I wonder if there was two different whites that year and somebody made a mix-up. I wish you luck because it's right where you will notice it every time you get in the car.

You could try a couple different shades of factory touch up cans and paint that dented fender and see how close it matches. I tried to paint a fender on a white Cutlass once and the correct factory color was much brighter than the original faded paint. I ended up getting a Ford color that was a little yellower but still not perfect. Supposedly they can match your paint exactly with a fancy spectrometer. Iassume they can do it on the car but they may need a part.