: Sterring feel........

Motorboat
04-12-07, 07:36 PM
Hello to all. I recently purchased an '88 Brougham with 65K original miles.
The car is near perfect and I am happy with it in spite of having to pay top dollar for it. It is turnkey and really needs nothing save for the inoperable Opera lights.

The steering appears to be more than effortless in that the wheel is so easy to turn that it is aggravating. I checked the steering linkage, tie rod ends, etc. and all appears to be fine.

Is this condition normal? And I know I misspelled steering.

Cadillac Giovanni
04-12-07, 08:56 PM
The steering appears to be more than effortless in that the wheel is so easy to turn that it is aggravating.

...And you bought a Cadillac?

N0DIH
04-12-07, 09:35 PM
Poor front end alignment (too little caster) will cause this. shops today are soooo slopppy with alignments I would not be surprised to see around 1-2 degrees caster.

Align with 0.25 degrees NEGATIVE camber, 0 toe and 4.5 degrees positive caster for much improved everything in the steering and handling.

More aggressive handling go to 0.5 degrees negative camber.

Motorboat
04-12-07, 10:53 PM
^ Thank you. I will have the front end shop do this.

Yes, I bought a Cadillac. My third one as a matter of fact. The first two where a '73 and a '76. That was a long time ago both in years and financial capability.

Things have settled down now after more than six decades on earth. I wanted a toy and something that would perhaps, bring back some fond memories of times past. I got what I wanted, I just want it to be right.

There are those who will read this and understand my feelings. Eventually, everyone will.

Thanks Again.

Old Fleetwood
04-12-07, 11:18 PM
Enjoy the ride, Motorboat.
You have earned it. :thumbsup:

rlyons
04-13-07, 04:50 PM
Poor front end alignment (too little caster) will cause this. shops today are soooo slopppy with alignments I would not be surprised to see around 1-2 degrees caster.

Align with 0.25 degrees NEGATIVE camber, 0 toe and 4.5 degrees positive caster for much improved everything in the steering and handling.

More aggressive handling go to 0.5 degrees negative camber.
Does this apply to the 93? Mine is wearing the outside edges of the front tires and has a very light feel to the steering also.

N0DIH
04-13-07, 05:10 PM
Yes, this applies to all 1971-1976 B/C/D bodies, 1977 to 1996 B/D Bodies and 1970 to 1981 F Bodies.

I am exploring a "tall spindle kit" for these cars also.

But with the high caster the returnability of the wheel is better, the car just wants to go straight more, there is improved road feel, less wander, and more camber gain in corners. About 4.5 degrees is about all you can get without exceeding where GM says not to go (more than 10mm difference in shim thickness). I beleive the only drawback is low speed the steering response is a little slower, but overall all steering is improved.

More toe out is always better for cornering, but hurts tire wear and makes the car a bit more dart on groovy roads. So I keep 0 toe. I don't like toe in at all.

Raider1v1
04-16-07, 04:34 PM
awesome! i just got a 69 and was wondering if there was anyway to clean up the way it was turning. should i use those same alignment specs, or is there anything special for the 69 devilles? i would appreciate any help on this one.

N0DIH
04-16-07, 04:42 PM
I don't know the specifics on the suspension design, but toe is toe. Camber is camber. Caster is caster. I feel that if you can get 3.5-4.5 degrees caster and 0 toe and -0.5 degrees camber on these heavy beasts is very welcome.

If you can get more caster do so. The S500 Benz has 10. There is mechanical limits. You must verify that the suspension won't bind at extremes like full turn and full lock, or full droop, etc. The only real way to test is to remove the spring and move through all ranges. Find out stock settings and post them. Try to get a FSM and read the verbage. GM likes to put in good engineering comments there, like with the 77-96 suspension to not exceed 10mm of shim stack between the front bolt and rear bolt. You CAN put more, but there is a reason GM spec'd not to. Your alignment shops have no clue of this.