: Oil leaking on a 200K miles engine. Is the engine still good?

03-28-04, 09:24 AM
Hi,
I just bought my 98 Deville 4 door Sedan in an auction. After I paid it I found it has 200k miles. I thought the engine was still good because the gas millage of this car is still over 30MPG on highway.
I found it leaks oil the day before yesterday. It leaks 1 or 2 drops every day. Is it a sign that the engine is dying? How far can this engine last? Is it easy to fix? Is it worth to fix it?
Thank you!

zonie77
03-28-04, 12:43 PM
The first thing is to find out where it is leaking...
If it runs good it is only a sign that you have a leak!

ianr57
03-28-04, 06:13 PM
These years of Northstars (96-99) are notorious for developing oil leaks, even when the engine is in fine mechanical shape and might be able to go many more tens of thousands of miles. The usual culprits are the rear main seal (Cadillac has a new version of this seal which is supposed to help) or the joint between the case halves. Either way (or for both), the cure involves pulling the engine, trans, or both. A fairly big job.

03-28-04, 07:28 PM
Thanks for your replies.
I found the oil is leaking from the oil pan. Is it a big issue? Can I just leave it as is?
Thanks again!

zonie77
03-28-04, 11:04 PM
If it is just a small leak then yes, leave it alone. Put a pan under it in the garage, or one of the large metal sheets to protect the floor.

BeelzeBob
03-29-04, 03:27 PM
Leave it alone and drive it. Put a piece of carpet down where you park to catch the drips of oil. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the engine. Add oil and drive it. If that is the only complaint and the engine has over 200K on it I would say that it is in pretty good shape....

Olds3.5
03-29-04, 06:16 PM
One or two drops? Sounds to me like you are actually trying to brag about how little and not how much oil your engine leaks. Have you considered using valvoline max life oil? You can get up to five quarts free if you go to their website and take advantage of their rebate offer.