: Buying a new Caddy - Advice?

1997seville
04-11-07, 10:09 AM
Hey guys, havent been on in a while. I totaled my 97 Seville in Dec, and now I am ready to buy another one. Nothing can compare to price/performace/lux of these cars and I just must have a new one.

So having spent a lot of time on here before, I am aware of most of the things to check for. I plan on getting a 96 or newer STS with a $6000 dollor budget. Looking already on-line, I have found alot of cars in my price range that have 100k or less miles on them.

My main concern of course in the headgasket failure. Assuming I do a good test drive to make sure there are no symptoms of failure, is there a milage level that you dont see any failures? I know only a small percentage do fail, but I would assume they would fail within a certain milage if they are going to. Or maybe im totaly off base.

Other than that, I will check the codes, and make sure I do a long test drive to make sure everything is well.

wydopnthrtl
04-11-07, 11:42 AM
Just my opinion.. but I'd buy a 2000+ year one because some of those issues were taken car of. Besides you get a newer car. Not too sure about a $6k limit though.

Rich

clarkz71
04-11-07, 12:45 PM
I would ask about maintenance records showing that the coolant has been changed on any car you look at. It's more a time thing then miles.

JimHare
04-11-07, 12:46 PM
My main concern of course in the headgasket failure. Assuming I do a good test drive to make sure there are no symptoms of failure, is there a milage level that you dont see any failures? I know only a small percentage do fail, but I would assume they would fail within a certain milage if they are going to. Or maybe im totaly off base.

IMHO, the random HG failure is due most often to age-dependant coolant degradation and the subsequent loss of corrosion protection, which in turn negatively impacts the gasket material. Thus, mileage is not a concern so much as TIME (esp. TIME BETWEEN COOLANT CHANGES).

There have been several recent mentions of "low milage" cars (40-60K) that are in the 8-9-10 year age group that have encountered HG failure, and I'll bet that the overriding reason is 10 year old coolant in the car...

I'd rather risk a 15 year old car that's had it's coolant changed every 36 months and had 150,000 miles on the clock, than a 6 year old car with 30K miles that still has it's original Dex (or anything else, for that matter) in it....

1997seville
04-11-07, 01:17 PM
With that in mind, I should probably look to a private seller over a dealer. Someone who has owned the car for a while is far more likely to have service records. I got lucky with my first N*. But the first thing I did once I got on this forum was to change the coolant.

misfit6794
04-12-07, 08:46 AM
I really think its a craps shoot when buying a used N*. There are some obvious signs, smelling coolant but not beingable to find a leak, engine temps, coolant in the exhaust, bad o2 sensors that got ruined from coolant in the exhaust. I would buy a car with a bad headgasket and then just replace the engine.

1997seville
04-12-07, 08:41 PM
And after reading that old post on the N*, I probably shouldnt worry too much anyhow. Like the guru said, only a small percentage fail. I will take a nice long test drive and watch the temp closely. If it looks good then I think I will be in good shape. I will just go ahead and change the coolant as soon as I get it home as extra protection.

misfit6794
04-13-07, 11:31 AM
Also check the oil to see if its milky, and check the exhaust for coolant. While only a small number of them apprently blow headgaskets, many (almost half) n*'s I have seen for sale have blown headgaskets.

1997seville
04-13-07, 11:38 AM
Yea I plan to check all that stuff. Also a nice long test drive should show some overheating syptoms on a good hard drive. I have not head back from the guy yet, so we will see. If he doesnt respond to my email, then I will definately be looking elswere for my car. To risky to buy it unseen.

1997BlackETC
04-13-07, 02:44 PM
A car a like a Northstar equipt car you dont want to buy sight unseen for sure, unless you got it real cheap with the thought of dropping a new motor in it.

fpmesiIII
04-14-07, 08:30 PM
check this thread

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/5880-what-look-when-buying-used-cadillacs.html

1997seville
04-14-07, 11:16 PM
Well I still have not heard back from him. So he must not want to sell it very bad. Or there is something wrong with it and doesnt want me to find out. Oh well, Im gonna keep looking around.

Submariner409
04-15-07, 09:15 AM
:stirpot: Whatever N* vehicle you look at, take along a squeeze bulb antifreeze tester or turkey baster and a clear glass. When the vehicle is WARM, not hot and pressurized, suck out 6-8 ounces of coolant and shoot it into the glass. Look carefully for suspended particles, milky fluid, smell other than fresh Dexcool mix, etc. If the fluid isn't almost clear yellow-orange, either cross your fingers or walk away. You could have a sample tested by an oil testing company, but that takes time and a few $. If the new car comes off a GM dealer lot, you'll pay, of course, but you'll also have some peace of mind and a company to go to if something goes wrong (not likely). Good luck........Call Tom Asher at Fitzgerald Cadillac in Annapolis.

Patrick7997
04-18-07, 06:41 PM
Yeah, a good strong uphill test drive may tell you all you need to know...

Also, why not go ahead and check for exhaust gasses in the coolant?? That's a cheap test, from what I understand....

If it doesn't overheat, and has no gasses in the coolant....

Benjamin Simon
04-18-07, 11:26 PM
I have a 99 STS, very nice and clean. 138K on the body, but 64K on the N*. I had the head gaskets go in my original engine and I have replaced the coolant every year in since. email me at benjamin.j.simon at gmail dot com if you are interested. I am asking $7500, but will take at the absolute least $6K.
I live in Georgia.