: Sts Headlight Adjustment

jnelson
04-10-07, 07:39 PM
Ok Guys I need some help. I have ask this before but did not get replies. My Dealer tells me that you can not adjust the high beams because both the high beams and the low beams adjust at the same time. I can't belive this! Does any one know how to adjust the high beams as mine are up in the trees at about one block. The low beams are fine. HELP:thepan:

STS2002
04-12-07, 02:14 PM
As far as I know you can only adjust the low beams. When I had to replace my right headlight assembly there was just one place available for adjustment and it adjusted the low beams (I did not have the high beams on, so i can't confirm that the one adjustment will adjust both high and low beams). I don't believe that there is any way to adjust the high beams only.

ewill3rd
04-20-07, 08:54 AM
Does this vehicle have HID lamps?

There is only one adjuster screw on STS, it aims the bulb or the reflector.
If you have conventional halogen headlamps only one bulb will be adjustable.
If you have HID lamps then the low and high beam is the same "bulb".
The only difference between high and low beam is that a door flips up inside the housing to open exposure of the lamp and aiming will change nothing.
There are laws governing headlamp aim, moving the adjuster without proper aiming apparatus will decrease the effectiveness of the lamps and can cause real problems for oncoming drivers.
There may not be anything else the dealer can do.

There is no "adjustment" for horizonal on that car except to physically move the lamp assembly, or "shim" it to the proper position.

HTH

STS2002
04-24-07, 10:33 PM
Does this vehicle have HID lamps?

There is only one adjuster screw on STS, it aims the bulb or the reflector.
If you have conventional halogen headlamps only one bulb will be adjustable.
If you have HID lamps then the low and high beam is the same "bulb".
The only difference between high and low beam is that a door flips up inside the housing to open exposure of the lamp and aiming will change nothing.
There are laws governing headlamp aim, moving the adjuster without proper aiming apparatus will decrease the effectiveness of the lamps and can cause real problems for oncoming drivers.
There may not be anything else the dealer can do.

There is no "adjustment" for horizonal on that car except to physically move the lamp assembly, or "shim" it to the proper position.

HTH

I think you're referring to the HID on the DTS. The DTS HID has the door inside the housing that flips up when the highbeams are turned on. I have the HID on my STS and still have the standard halogen lights for the high beams. :)

ewill3rd
04-25-07, 06:52 AM
You could be right.
I know the XLR and the Escalade both have that feature for the HID using high beam also.
I made an assumption that they would use the same system on STS.
Sorry if I missed the boat on that one.
Thanks for the correction.

jnelson
04-27-07, 01:17 AM
OK guys, we are getting closer to the answer. My STS has HID lights and it has haolgon high beams, they are the one that are two high! When I turn on the high beams they are in the trees or second story on houses at about one short city block away. I know about the laws on aiming headlights as I have been in Law enforcement for 32 years! That is why I need to get them adjusted. I thank all of you for taking the time to try and answer my questions but I still can not belive GM would make a car that you cannot adjust the headlights!!!!! Looking at a parts break down in a body shop catalog I still do not see any adjustment place for either lites, low or high! Any more help would be great! Thanks again!

ewill3rd
04-27-07, 07:17 AM
I'll see if I can find one to snap a photo of.
I can at least show you where the only adjuster is and see if it helps you.
I do know there is only one adjuster.

BirdJC
05-02-07, 05:18 PM
Sound to me like this could fall under a warrenty replacement.. hopefully.. Assuming there is no adjustment. But I agree, can't believe they'd make these without somekind of adjustment. Maybe the bulbs themselves need "re-seated" or something like that....

TexasViking
05-03-07, 01:28 PM
I don't know the solution, by my 2005 STS4 shows the same behaviour, i.e. high beem lights up the tree tops, while the low beems are fine.

Onalaska
05-03-07, 10:32 PM
I was paying closer attention to the high beams on my 2005 with HID and noticed that while they illuminated the road way up ahead, some light would also be up in the trees on the road I was driving on. They just don't seem to be as focused as the conventional high beams on my other vehicles. The HIDs are so bright on low beam that the high beams just don't look that much brighter to me anyway.

z06bigbird
05-04-07, 10:46 PM
Some states (like PA) check headlight adjustment with a machine. If your vehicle fails that portion of the inspection, and if it under warranty, take it to GM dealer. Seems to me that fed regs would require GM to adjust lights, esp high beams. Question for regional GM guy.