: Insurance

rowekyle
04-10-07, 02:30 PM
I am looking to get the cheapest insurance put on my '73 Deville just so I can legally get it on the road, anyone have success with certain companies for older cars like this?

Thanks

Jonas McFeely
04-10-07, 04:33 PM
I am looking to get the cheapest insurance put on my '73 Deville just so I can legally get it on the road, anyone have success with certain companies for older cars like this?

Thanks

A1 General Insurance is the CHEAPEST ive ever heard of,i have them and i saved $60 a month over Direct. I have a not so perfect record too.

"For best car insurance rates in town,call 1-800-GENERAL now"

Thats what the commercial says...

rowekyle
04-10-07, 05:57 PM
Sounds good, I'll have to give them a call, I don't see the purpose of getting full coverage on a car they won't pay out on, so I just want the basic stuff. Thanks!

JTraik
04-10-07, 06:28 PM
Your eligible for classic insurance. Hagerty classic insurance is about $150 a year YEAR. No odometer checks. All they require is some pictures of the car, a garage to keep it it and proof of another daily driver.

jayoldschool
04-10-07, 08:07 PM
I never understand why people use regular insurance for classic cars. First, they charge waaaaay too much. Second, if you write the car off or it is stolen, you are going to fight with them for months over how much it is worth. I use a company similar to Haggerty (I am in Canada) for my 65 Impala convertible, my 71 Pontiac Parisienne, and my 81 Cadillac. Just for comparison, my 65 is a stock California car, in solid 2/3 condition. 3274bbl. The insurance it $108 (CDN) a YEAR. Agreed value replacement. No BS about depreciation. It is appraised, and that is the amount on the policy.

CALL HAGGERTY tomorrow!

danomac
04-10-07, 09:12 PM
I wanted to get classic insurance, but because I put in a CD player and the previous owner put speakers in the doors, I'm certain they won't give it to me.

jayoldschool
04-11-07, 10:06 AM
Of course you can get classic insurance for a modified vehicle. Sometimes it will cost a little more. For example, my 71 is appriased about 2K lower than the 65 Impala, but its insurance is $200 instead of $108. The reason: it is a modified vehicle. All the mods (extensive body work, wheels, tires, engine, exhaust, stereo system, interior) are documented on the appraisal. I would be willing to bet that even with just a CD and speakers, the car will be considered "stock".

danomac
04-11-07, 11:12 AM
I called the insurance place here (BC only really has one...) and I was told it has to be completely stock. No CD Player, subwoofers, or speakers in the doors.

jayoldschool
04-11-07, 11:25 AM
You're in Canada???? (sorry, I should have looked at your location before)

You NEED to call Lant Insurance RIGHT NOW!

Silver Wheel for stock, Custom wheel for modified.

http://www.lant-ins.ca/

You can buy me a beer sometime to thank me for the hundreds of dollars you are about to save...:thumbsup:

rowekyle
04-11-07, 11:52 AM
Damn, appreciate that everyone, I am new to the whole classic car thing, I own an Escalade and have been in love with Classic Caddy's for awhile just never ever had the available funds to grab one. Appreciate that!

biggr101
04-11-07, 12:38 PM
i also use hagerty.80$ a year for my 73 gp and 21$ for my 77cdv.that includes flat bed towing.just added the caddy,but had it on the gp for about 4 years now trouble free.

danomac
04-11-07, 05:20 PM
That doesn't work here, you *have* to be insured by ICBC for their bare minimum. It's the law here. Beyond that you can choose a policy from another insurer. So I'd be paying 80/month anyway. Unless they (ICBC) give me collector's I have to pay normal rates. And they're the ones that said all original or no go. :(

It sucks, I know.

jayoldschool
04-11-07, 10:40 PM
That doesn't work here, you *have* to be insured by ICBC for their bare minimum. It's the law here. Beyond that you can choose a policy from another insurer. So I'd be paying 80/month anyway. Unless they (ICBC) give me collector's I have to pay normal rates. And they're the ones that said all original or no go. :(

It sucks, I know.

So put a stock stereo in it, and get cheap rates.

danomac
04-12-07, 12:58 AM
So put a stock stereo in it, and get cheap rates.

The problem is the guy before me cut holes in the doors for speakers. I still won't get away with that... and I haven't seen a 2 door with white interior in the wreckers in about 4 years. :(

There's also disclaimers about your insurance being void if it's changed after collector's status is obtained.