: Has anyone done a TC in a N* car?

codewize
04-10-07, 09:04 AM
While my trans was out I talked about upgrading the TC. The guy doing the work who is a very trusted transmission guy said not to and he was very adamant about it.

He claims that the car will throw TC codes all day long.

So far no one has come forward claiming a successful TC swap. It kind of tweaks me because that was the time to do it.

jadcock
04-10-07, 09:13 AM
Marks99STS had a 3200+/- stall Yank converter in his STS forever. Still has it I think. I haven't seen Mark online lately, but I'm sure someone can confirm this.

codewize
04-10-07, 09:16 AM
I think you're right I remember hearing that before. I also wonder where Hitmoney has been. He was considering doing something too.

acklac7
04-12-07, 07:34 AM
I've never heard of a TC failing in a 4T80E...never. Well maybe the TC conv. clutch...But the TC itself? Never..lol

danbuc
04-12-07, 07:32 PM
He had a 2800rpm converter before the 3200rpm one. He never spoke of any computer related issues....although he did mention that he installed a separate trans cooler.

codewize
04-13-07, 10:49 PM
Im kind of pissed I wasn't quicker with this. He had the thing back together so fast I didn't have a chance to think this over. He did say that GM has a performance TC that's around 2600 - 2800. I may have gone that route but again he had it back together before I could decide.

aamusls06
04-13-07, 10:58 PM
Supposedlly, I have a high performance torque convertor in my car now. The guy that rebuilt it said there is high perfomance one out there. He said it would hold up way better than the old one. I noticed that it has somewhat of a stall in it now, plus it shifts a lot firmer now. I'm just going on what he told me and what it seems to be driving like now. Said he did it because he heard I had a heavy foot....lol.

I'd have to talk to him though.

codewize
04-16-07, 10:48 PM
Wow I may have a second chance to do this. Can anyone make a manufacturer recommendation other than the very costly $950 solution from Yank.

Does anyone else make these?

eldorado1
04-16-07, 11:54 PM
I thought they were around $600 from yank?

fubar569
04-17-07, 12:31 AM
Wow I may have a second chance to do this. Can anyone make a manufacturer recommendation other than the very costly $950 solution from Yank.

Does anyone else make these?

these guys will do it for under 425ish...it's who MARK99STS used the first time around (i searched through his old threads and found the company)

http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/

this is the quote from the email they sent back to me:

All EDGE products are custom built for application and combination. The cost for the 4T80E NorthStar unit is 424.50 plus a 75.00 core charge. If you send me your unit I will do it for 394.50 Feel free to call with any questions 805-277-7305.

so basically they quoted me 30 off...i mentioned MARK99STS, the forums, and the fact yank wanted 900 bucks...that 394.50 might only be a one time deal though...either way at 424.50 it's over 50% cheaper than yank and obviously stands up to some abuse...if i ever have to pull my unit that is who im going with...maybe if you mention me (David Lipps) and MARK99STS you might very well get the same price since we just sent you thier way :thumbsup:...if not...then you're still saving almost 500 bucks!

codewize
04-17-07, 10:59 AM
Custom made $945 delivered. Thanks fubar569, I'll look into them.

I thought they were around $600 from yank?

eldorado1
04-17-07, 11:26 AM
You don't want a company that just bends the fins on a stock unit. That kind of defeats the purpose.

codewize
04-17-07, 09:07 PM
Are you saying that Edge does this? I've been conversing with these guys all day long now. Here was the initial reply. Since then we've decided that 3000 RPM stall with an STR or 2.4 would work out great.

<SNIP>I recommend a custom configured converter from the "Mild Street Edge" series.
This converter is fully brazed and the drive hub and spline insert are made of 4130 chrome moly steel. All wear surfaces are upgraded for enclosed Torrington bearings and the lock up feature is fitted for the latest "high carbon" friction. All clearances are set tighter to get more power to the tires and the torque multiplication at launch is increased.

All the gains, while retaining 100% of the manners needed for everyday street use!

Warranted for a full year with our 100% satisfaction money back guarantee this converter sells for 424.50 with the stall math (as high as 3200 in this application) and STR settings of your choice.</SNIP>

You don't want a company that just bends the fins on a stock unit. That kind of defeats the purpose.

codewize
04-17-07, 11:31 PM
While I have your attention I would also like to ask is there really a process of the computer relearning after work is done. I've had several mechanics tell me things like, that symptom will go away after the computer relearns.

Is this real? What does it mean?

I mentioned it here http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/104437-so-my-babys-back.html but no one answered. Could he have done something inadvertently to the computer to cause the car to shift differently?

eldorado1
04-18-07, 12:30 AM
Are you saying that Edge does this?

If they require a core, it's almost a guarantee. With bent fins, you run lower efficiency, higher temps, and it won't handle the power it was originally designed to.

While I have your attention I would also like to ask is there really a process of the computer relearning after work is done.
Could he have done something inadvertently to the computer to cause the car to shift differently?

The PCM does indeed "learn" the engine. This normally takes place in the first few minutes/miles of driving after the battery is disconnected. It learns the engine's idle and fueling during this time, and until it's completed it can cause a low idle or oscillating idle.

The PCM also learns the transmission. The pressures used to shift are stored in memory, and the PCM monitors time it takes and the amount of slippage to determine how hard or soft to shift. This allows the PCM to automatically compensate for wear by shifting with a higher pressure to keep the shifts firm, and without slip.

All that said - the PCM should be "good to go" from a reset on a new engine/transmission. It can't compensate for severe mechanical problems for either one, so it's possible something's wrong. If it doesn't get better quickly (a few hundred miles of driving) then there is something off. A dealer would be able to scan the "shift adapt" numbers to see if your transmission is not up to snuff. You might even be able to do it yourself, I don't have my manual in front of me...

codewize
04-18-07, 09:53 AM
I don't think they said anything about the core. PLUS I'm going to try to get something back on that since it's a brand new TC at this point.

eldorado1
04-18-07, 01:47 PM
"The cost for the 4T80E NorthStar unit is 424.50 plus a 75.00 core charge. "

codewize
04-18-07, 02:31 PM
I saw that but they have not said that to me. I asked them about rebuilding stock units and bending fins and stuff and they assured me that this was not the case. They told me these are custom made for each person based on desired conditions and results.

"The cost for the 4T80E NorthStar unit is 424.50 plus a 75.00 core charge. "

The latest email reply

"Hello Aaron,
All performance built units begin with a stock impeller. NO ONE makes the
impeller when it would be like reinventing the wheel at great cost. Instead
we adapt the impeller and stator math and use tighter clearances. If ANY
company tells you they do not start with a stock impeller, they are telling
you an untruth.
Feel free to call me direct with questions, or concerns. No pressure to
purchase... Just answers. 805-277-7305. Andre"

MARK99STS
04-19-07, 09:48 AM
Just happened to see this thread as I have not been on the boards for a while.

I have an EDGE 2600 stall converter that only has about 5000 miles on it if anyone is interested.

codewize
04-19-07, 10:56 AM
Probably not high enough for what I want. Why are you getting rid of it? Are you the person that switched to Yank? Why?

I'm not even sure I'm going to be able to do this. This is all contingent on the trans coming back out. I really wish I was quicker the first time because it's really a no brainer.

Just happened to see this thread as I have not been on the boards for a while.

I have an EDGE 2600 stall converter that only has about 5000 miles on it if anyone is interested.

MARK99STS
04-19-07, 11:13 AM
Yes I switched to Yank because I needed a converter that could handle 600hp and it is custom made with more fins than a stock. The EDGE converter was fine before I turbo charged the car and it worked great.

codewize
04-19-07, 12:00 PM
Ahh OK thanks. I'm really kicking myself over this. I'm so mad that I wasn't prepared before the work was done. Damn this sucks.

Yes I switched to Yank because I needed a converter that could handle 600hp and it is custom made with more fins than a stock. The EDGE converter was fine before I turbo charged the car and it worked great.

codewize
04-19-07, 05:53 PM
I have a question. How much terror does a high stall converter rain on the trans. I mean if I do a 3000 RPM stall converter and I going to be doing the trans again in 50k miles? Do we even know the answer to this?