Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Alternator Cooling

6K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Ranger 
#1 ·
Hi,
I asked about this before but got no response. Can anyone that has a liquid-cooled alternator check the plumbing configuration for me. All I need to know is where does the top coolant line go to, from the diagrams I see it going underneath the beauty cover, Im not sure if it goes directly to the reservoir or not? and second how does the mounting on the radiator look like for the other line, I dont know if my 96 rad. is compatible, I dont see any extra outlets for any more lines. Thanks in advance, Chris

#3 ·
I know Ranger, but the 99 is and the 96 alternator will not mount on the 99 block (the one I already timeserted and will put in my 96), the mounting positions are totally different, the same goes for the compressor, I had to buy both of them. (Just so everybody knows, 99 accessories such as the alt. and ac compressor will not mount on 97 & earlier seville models if someone is attempting an engine swap).

P.S. If anyone wants a 96 alt. or compressor I will sell it for dirt cheap. The same might go for the rad. if I will have to get a 99 one.

So again, if any of you have that have a 98 or 99 seville, can you check the mounting locations for both alternator coolant pipes, I would really appreciate it.

#5 ·
Before doing all that, perhaps look into the possibility of getting a 2000+ alternator (or whenever they stopped using the water cooled units). I'd imagine it would still bolt to your 1999 engine block, and you wouldn't have to mess with all the coolant lines. It'd probably cost you the same to get a good remanned alt. vs. a new radiator.

#6 ·
Thanks nigelb,
at least I know where to start looking now, and jadcock, I will look into the air cooled models, I should have probably done that in the beginning but I can always sell this alt. and get the other one. Again, thanks for your help.

#7 ·
Hi,
I asked about this before but got no response. Can anyone that has a liquid-cooled alternator check the plumbing configuration for me. All I need to know is where does the top coolant line go to, from the diagrams I see it going underneath the beauty cover, Im not sure if it goes directly to the reservoir or not? and second how does the mounting on the radiator look like for the other line, I dont know if my 96 rad. is compatible, I dont see any extra outlets for any more lines. Thanks in advance, Chris
Hello. Can anyone please tell me where the hose goes into the motor on water cooled alternator 2000 caddilac sls Seville
Thank you

#8 ·
IF the 2000 SLS Northstar still had a cooled alternator (I don't think so), the coolant supply hose T's off the purge line or heater circuit at the surge tank area. If the purge line is clogged (fairly common and a cause for overheating) then the alternator receives no coolant flow.

The coolant-cooled alternator was a very bad idea from the start and it lasted only a year or two. Many problems with leaks.

Welcome to CF !!!! You have dug up a thread that has been dead for over 12 years. Would probably have been best to start your own Discussion (thread) but this will do.

For every sort of info on your car, find a paper copy of the GM/Cadillac/Helm service manuals on eBay or subscribe the car to www.alldatadiy.com - the online Cadillac service manuals for THAT car. Forget Haynes or Chilton - far, far too generic for any of these cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.