: Brakes!

miked
04-09-07, 08:21 PM
Our 2005 V8 AWD SRX was taken to the dealer for a Maintenance I service (i.e., oil change) at 27,000 miles. The dealer checked the front brakes, and noted that the pads were at 2 mm, and they recommended replacement at 3 mm.

To save some dough, I took the SRX to a trusted brake place. They looked at the rear brakes, and said that the "wear indicator" was touching, indicating that these brakes were at 1 mm or less. They also said that the front rotors could not be turned and refinished, because the front rotors that GM put on were incredibly thin. I therefore paid to have the front pads and rotors replaced, and the back pads replaced (the rear rotors were sufficiently thick to allow turning). For good measure, I did a brake fluid change, too.

This is my first vehicle where I had to do a brake job so early in the life of a vehicle. Our old Saab 9-5 had 30,000 miles when we traded it in, and those 30,000 miles were more local miles than the miles on the SRX (i.e., more braking) -- and the brakes were more than sufficient at 30,000. I was surprised that the SRX's only lasted 27,000 miles.

Just curious to hear if anyone else has had to replace their brakes so early. Even at a discount shop, the brake job cost $600 -- although the dealer said that just replacing the front pads would have cost $300, and so I'm guessing that doing the job at the dealer would have been over $1,000.

Interestingly, the brake place said that they source their ceramic pads from the same manufacturer that GM does with their OEM pads on the SRX, but that they use a higher quality pad than GM does. FWIW, the dealer was going to give me a 12 mo/12K mile warranty on parts, whereas the brake place gave me a lifetime warranty on parts.

- Mike.

Fyreman235
04-10-07, 09:54 AM
I traded a 2001 Bravada for my 2005 SRX. I also had to replace front brakes on the SRX at around 27k. My Bravada had 80k miles with 30% left on the ORIGINAL brakes. I think the SRX brakes are under-designed.

dkozloski
04-10-07, 10:15 AM
Why were'nt they covered under warranty? I thought the first brake job was on the manufacturer.

donjumpsuit
04-10-07, 10:54 AM
If you search the forum, you will find out that I had my brakes (05 srx) done at 18,000 miles.

I needed ALL FOUR rotors replaced, ALL FOUR sets of pads, and a frozen front right caliper.

I bitched my ass off, and they covered it with the warranty (even the pads).

Needless to say, 10k later, I am putting on new pads, it is ridiculous.

dkozloski
04-10-07, 11:39 AM
I worked at a newspaper where on one route the brakes on the delivery truck would last 2-3 weeks. The driver quit and moved on and they haven't had to do a brake job on that vehicle since. He was spinning the wheels to get going and sliding them to stop. The biggest factor in brake longevity is driver technique.

GMJim
04-10-07, 11:55 AM
I had 61,000 on my 04 when I traded it in. Original brakes. Mostly highway driving though.

donjumpsuit
04-10-07, 11:56 AM
so your talking about tires and not brakes?

I have seen rotors last 150,000 miles. There is no excuse that a AWD sports wagon, with the weight of a light truck, should have paper thin rotors.

If I am a "brake burner" (which I beg to differ), I would love to replace pads every 10k, but rotors is completely unacceptable.

ckrichards
04-10-07, 01:03 PM
My dealer has turned my front rotors twice now(replaced pads as well each time), and the rears once(also replaced pads). What I am finding is the front pads actually seperate from the backing material around 10k miles. The pads have plenty of thickness, they just fall apart.

My front rotors were robust enough for two turnings so far.

b4z
04-10-07, 03:55 PM
Rotors aren't made as well as they used to be.

My '87 IROC got 186,000 miles out the originals.

My '04 GTO has had the warped rotors turned 4 times in 30,000 miles.

'04 SRX's brakes are fine at 37,000 miles. No probs.

'99 Intrigue warped at 76 miles and then had them truned at 30,000 miles.

'01 IMpala LS had fronts turned once during ownership.

miked
04-10-07, 04:10 PM
It's definitely not driver technique for me. This is the fifth vehicle I've owned, and I've never had to replace brakes so early . . . .

john d
04-10-07, 04:57 PM
Hey...what do you expect from a "truck"?
Durability, dependability, value retention, ease of maintence?

CaddyinKC
04-10-07, 05:15 PM
Has anyone tried aftermarket rotors/pads on their SRX?

beekay
04-11-07, 11:50 PM
My 04 srx v8 is on its 3rd set of brake pads now. i get 15k per set. first 2 times, the rotors were turned, now the rear brake pad broke down and ruined the rotor. they wanted $800 to replace the rotors and pads. I am doing it myself as it is at lease end in 3 months and I can do it elsewhere or myself for less than 800.

I used to live in Conifer CO, at 8,800 feet and had to drive down the hill to Denver a few times a week. killed tires and brakes.

miked
04-12-07, 01:05 AM
Beekay, I had the front rotors and pads, the rear pads, and the brake fluid flushed all for $600 at Brakes Plus -- which has a lot of locations in the Denver area.

Claymore
04-14-07, 08:41 PM
Has anyone tried aftermarket rotors/pads on their SRX?

Sure! After much searching I went with the Raybestos Ceramic
Front: PGD1019QS, Back: PGD1020QS.
More for brake dust than anything, but after reading the posts here I am glad I did it.
Piece of cake to install. Zero brake dust. :) No noise, and after 10k no noticable wear so far... FWIW, YMMV, etc....

CaddyinKC
04-14-07, 09:34 PM
Claymore,

Mind if I ask what you paid for the Raybestos pads?

Claymore
04-16-07, 03:24 AM
You can find them at rockauto.com - $35 front and $40 rear...

dynaport
05-13-07, 07:28 AM
I also had to replace brake pads and rotors last year - at a cost of over $1,000. Now, just one year later, my wife heard noises and took the car in, and Cadiallac nows says we need to do it all again - and they are trying to say this is normal wear and tear. I am pissed. Does anyone have any advice/ suggestions? I have a 2005 8 cyl AWD.

THanks,

Dave

miked
05-13-07, 07:17 PM
Dynaport -- I'd recommend next time the dealer says you need brakes, to take it to a brake shop. It'll be a lot cheaper.

Smokin' SRX
05-14-07, 10:21 AM
Our 2005 V8 AWD SRX was taken to the dealer for a Maintenance I service (i.e., oil change) at 27,000 miles. The dealer checked the front brakes, and noted that the pads were at 2 mm, and they recommended replacement at 3 mm.

To save some dough, I took the SRX to a trusted brake place. They looked at the rear brakes, and said that the "wear indicator" was touching, indicating that these brakes were at 1 mm or less. They also said that the front rotors could not be turned and refinished, because the front rotors that GM put on were incredibly thin. I therefore paid to have the front pads and rotors replaced, and the back pads replaced (the rear rotors were sufficiently thick to allow turning). For good measure, I did a brake fluid change, too.

This is my first vehicle where I had to do a brake job so early in the life of a vehicle. Our old Saab 9-5 had 30,000 miles when we traded it in, and those 30,000 miles were more local miles than the miles on the SRX (i.e., more braking) -- and the brakes were more than sufficient at 30,000. I was surprised that the SRX's only lasted 27,000 miles.

Just curious to hear if anyone else has had to replace their brakes so early. Even at a discount shop, the brake job cost $600 -- although the dealer said that just replacing the front pads would have cost $300, and so I'm guessing that doing the job at the dealer would have been over $1,000.

Interestingly, the brake place said that they source their ceramic pads from the same manufacturer that GM does with their OEM pads on the SRX, but that they use a higher quality pad than GM does. FWIW, the dealer was going to give me a 12 mo/12K mile warranty on parts, whereas the brake place gave me a lifetime warranty on parts.

- Mike.

I too had all 4 brake pads (F & R) changed at 19,000 (hard local driving) miles!! Rotors took a cut, no problem! But I reacted quickly to the noise rather than keep driving. Perhaps this saved some damage?

In all honesty, I've had 4 GMC Yukon SUV @ 5500 lbs each! (My SRX is 4400 lbs) Never did brakes so soon.......but never drove them as hard either, as we do the SRX, because it handles like a sled on rails! Still......19000 miles???

Dealer wanted $800 for 4 wheel brake pads, rotors cut, all new hardware. (doubt that was necessary!) I had local coupon for 20% off however! Local shop (Mavis , Midas) wanted $650 dollars, but LIFETIME warranty on pads. I've gone this route with my Yukon before. RESULTS: first time pads lasted 8,000 miles!! They changed for labor only (there's the "catch" !) $48.00. 2nd set now at 25,000 mi and no problem!! They admitted using cheaper pads on first time and now "upgraded" me as they see that I'm keeping that vehicle! Hmmmm...... Now I say it's a "keeper" !

In closing, the brakes are fantastic on the SRX!!! I feel the difference when driving our 2 other vehicles right away. (all have 4 wheel disc also). Thin rotors are the norm these days so I react quickly. Pad quality makes all the difference! But I bet we all "enjoy" the SRX's strong, smooth, stopping power , a little bit on the aggressive side! Thats the way it drives! :bouncy:

Baldtop
05-14-07, 10:30 AM
45,000 miles and counting. I'd estimate pads are about 50% worn. About 2/3 of our driving is on the highway. I have no complaints!

Infrared in Idaho
05-15-07, 02:51 AM
Just had my rears down at my local Les Schwab. They used actual GM parts. Pads and Calibers. Cost - $196.00 in under 3 hours, with the rotors turned as well.

Autobahn_Burner
05-16-07, 08:08 AM
The SRX AWD has front and rear open differentials (no mechanically locking style) The computer system manages off-road capabilities by engaging each of four brakes individually to avoid wheel spin - as well as this is true on slippery surfaces. In most cases the driver does not feel that kind of (hidden) brake operation. Depending on kind of surfaces and driving habits, the tear and wear differs tremendously, especially with the SRX's AWD set-up. They call it High_Tech...

57TBird
05-16-07, 11:12 AM
I recommend doing it yourself if you want to save $.
For my DIY rotor upgrade and new pads, I spent...

New Rotors - $260 - crossdrilled/slotted, black zinc coated - all four wheels (Ebay)
New Pads - $110 - POSI low dust, low noise, performance pads
Two cans of spray on brake cleaner - $6
Thread locker - $4 - for caliper mounting bracket and caliper re-assembly
Brake fluid - $5 (I didn't even need this, as I didn't have to add fluid)

***Total = $385*** - all 4 wheels, with new rotors and better pads

Total time to do it was 4 hours, not including 1 hour of break-in driving
- With air tools and a lift, I don't see how it could take a dealer more than 2 hours

Other things you'll need (which I already had):
Jackstands - so you can do 2 wheels at once
SRX Service manual or instructions - for the torque specs and breakin procedure. (I got the whole set of 3 manuals for $70 - again on ebay)
Torque wrench and metric sockets
Torx wrench set (those little 5 or 6 star shaped heads) for the rotor hold down screws - you'll be able to see which one you need you get a wheel off and look at the rotor.
Breaker bar (really helps on the caliper bracket bolts which are 88 FTLBs)
Solvent (or use the brake cleaner) for cleaning old threadlocker off of bolts
Large C-Clamp or brake caliper compressor - to compress calipers for reassembly

Very easy to do. See the "Brake Rotors" thread for some pictures of the install.

BTW, once I got the original pads off (at 30k miles) I noticed they were almost gone, just shy of the "squeekers", and they were wearing unevenly and gouging the rotors excessively, which may be why so many people are having problems.

I wonder if this is the quality of the pads, or if they aren't broken in and "bedded" properly when they are new from the factory.