: 07 EXT Transmission Vibration.

nhernandez1616
04-09-07, 07:12 PM
I just picked up and 07 EXT last Monday. I have been trying to listend and feel it while its still fresh to make sure its perfect for the money i spent.

I have been feeling something odd but didn't really have the area to pay attention. I was on a flat section of the highway last night doing about 70-75 MPH around 1,800 RPM's. When i would lightly gas it the tranny seemed to give a little extra vibration that you could barely feel through your seat. Its almost like the truck thinks it wants to down shift but decides not to because i didn't hit the gas had enough. Would this have anything to do with the truck learning my driving style? I have heard cars will do this now for better efficiency, but how long does it take?

The reason i get a little paranoid is my family used to have an old van that kinda did the same thing for a while before the tranny blew. Don't want to mess with that fun again.

I know there is a big warranty and everything but i don't want to start messing with swapping tranneys and major parts with a week old truck. Thats just not acceptable.

Sorry for the novel. Thanks in advance,
NH

Dif
04-09-07, 09:17 PM
It's very hard to say if it's anything wrong from what you say if it's hardly noticable.
From my experience with my 07, it sounds normal to me and what you said,..
it's not quite at the point where it needs to down shift so the engine is lugging trying to push the vehicle in that gear.. which at 75-80 is cruising pretty good and the engine can take on the needed push before down shifting.
Plus as you said, your listening closely for any little thing so,..
I would give it a bit more gas and see what it takes to make it down shift and if the vibration goes away.

Just for info and my opinion.
I found with a stock tune, the 6 speed tranny stays in the higher gears longer than 4 speeds I've owned until you give it that little extra to make it down shift.
I like it in a way and it's programed that way from the factory for more mileage.
I noticed when I put the Diablo Performance tune in my 07 going up throught the gears at a normal moderate acceleration .... the lower gears do not shift out as soon and then, once the trans is in the higher gears,,.. it is more sensitive to down shifting with a touch of the gas,.. as compared to the stock tune but..
it's not as drastic a down shift with the 6 speed as with the 4 speeds.
I hated it with the 4 speed when I wanted to accelerate onto the highway but wasn't really flooring it and all of a sudden the thing would down shift and blast off when it felt like it could have just pulled a bit more through the gear it was already in.
Stock tune with a 6 speed... in 4-5-6 gears, they're smoother and need a bit more gas to make downshift and not as drastic when they do.

STEALTHBOMBER
04-09-07, 10:33 PM
i no what your talking about all 3 of my 07s do the same thing when you hit the gas there is like a 2 second humming sound... im guessing its normal cuz all mine do it

hcvone
04-10-07, 07:40 AM
Is this your first all wheel drive truck? They have more vibrations than a two wheel drive, and if you have 22's get them road force balanced, could not believe the difference, and I had to get the hammer on weights off because it's just ulgy, can't believe the factory still uses them. :(

nhernandez1616
04-10-07, 11:56 AM
Thanks guys for all the input. Yeah this is my first all wheel drive truck. I'll just keep an eye on it. Hopefully it wont get worse in the future.

HV, I hear you on the weights. Def not necessary, cant believe its still done either. I have even seen the weights on a 911 Porsche. Odd.:thepan:

Stealth,
all 3 of my 07s Good for you. :thumbsup:

Thanks,
NH

hcvone
04-10-07, 12:02 PM
Thanks guys for all the input. Yeah this is my first all wheel drive truck. I'll just keep an eye on it. Hopefully it wont get worse in the future.

HV, I hear you on the weights. Def not necessary, cant believe its still done either. I have even seen the weights on a 911 Porsche. Odd.:thepan:

Stealth, Good for you. :thumbsup:

Thanks,
NH

You may want to try getting your wheels balanced, my truck is so smooth now it rides like a Cadillac. :thepan: :thepan: