: Service Stability System On & ABS light

flashprash65
04-09-07, 02:08 PM
Hey Guys ,,

Bought this cream puff 99 Seville STS with 37K miles on it. Today (first time in rain) the Service Stability system prompt comes up on my on board computer. The Amber ABS light comes on in the dash too.

When i turn off the car and restart the ABS light and the computer are clear of these readings. When i drive for about 1-5 minutes the warnings come back (still raining).

I took the car over to my local auto part store but the code machine they have can only read the code that is stored in the computer when you turn on the ignition to "acc" . Problem is when i turn off the car to then turn the ignition to "acc" the warning light (ABS) and "Service Stability system prompt" disappears and the code machine reads clear.

I called the dealership and they charge $98 to run the diagnostic, the service guy said it maybe a sensor in the steering thats malfunctioning.

Can you guys please help to lead me in the right direction, in other words how do i take care of this with the least amount of financial pain? I don't know if the rain is a factor???

CadillacSTS42005
04-09-07, 02:12 PM
pull the codes you can do it yourself....

id bet is the steering wheel position sensor about a 300-400 dollar job....

flashprash65
04-09-07, 02:20 PM
pull the codes you can do it yourself....

id bet is the steering wheel position sensor about a 300-400 dollar job....

Please tell me how to pull the codes, or where to go to find out how to pull the codes. Thanks

CadillacSTS42005
04-09-07, 02:30 PM
http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

flashprash65
04-09-07, 03:04 PM
http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

Thanks again.

I got a code of C1235... " Right rear wheel speed circuit open or shorted" Any ideas.

CadillacSTS42005
04-09-07, 04:18 PM
right rear wheel bearing is shot
not fun or cheap

JimD
04-09-07, 05:16 PM
Thanks again.

I got a code of C1235... " Right rear wheel speed circuit open or shorted" Any ideas.
Before you start throwing any parts at it, check the wire harness that connects to the right rear wheel hub. Look for a loose connector or damaged pins or damaged wire harness. Follow the wire harness as far along the bottom of the car as you can.

Clear the codes and test drive several times to be sure the same code sets consistently.

Dadillac
04-09-07, 09:35 PM
Rear wheel hubs are a simple repair. Much easier than the fronts. Jack car up and place on a jack stand. Remove rear wheel. Remove caliper, caliper bracket, and rotor. Disconnect wiring. Remvoe the four mounting bolts that hold the hub on. They are accesible from the front of the hub through access holes. One rear hub should take about 1/2 hour to change.

Don