: MOTH ball SMELL!!!

jmoffo
04-09-07, 07:23 AM
My '76 Coupe was mothballed for quite some time in NH.

Is there any GOOD solution to getting rid of that smell!? I have been told to just air it out during the day and in the sunlight...but when you work 5 days a week and the weather is not conducive to that idea...what else can one do?

I have heard that "activated" charcoal works, but what would I do with it?

jayoldschool
04-09-07, 08:47 AM
Leave the windows open as much as you can. Get some baking soda "flow-through" boxes from the grocery store (it will make sense when you see them) and leave them in the car. Spray all the fabric (carpets, headliner, seats if not leather) with Febreeze.

jmoffo
04-09-07, 09:19 AM
I will be at the grocery store today!

Has anyone else experienced this? It was so bad when I first obtained the car in November that as soon as you sat in it...you stunk like moth balls. I have her garaged with the windows open. Should I close the windows when I put in the baking soda?

Motorboat
04-09-07, 09:20 AM
Leave the windows up. Get a big can of coffee and put the contents on a plate or tray and leave it alone for a few days.

Let us know.

jmoffo
04-09-07, 09:22 AM
All the coffee? I have heard coffee absorbs smoke smell, but I did not know it worked for moth balls!

dkozloski
04-09-07, 11:07 AM
Coffee is what drug smugglers use to mask the drug smell from the drug sniffing dogs.

lochenjons
04-09-07, 11:19 AM
close all the windows and burn a LOT of incense. just dont light your car on fire.

rlyons
04-09-07, 11:59 AM
I think I would go with the coffee or baking soda and fabreeze idea if it were me.

Red_October_7000
04-09-07, 12:54 PM
Coffee definitely. Don't touch Febreeze. That shit is nasty. When I got my Corvette my mother insisted it smelled of piss. I got my nose down in the exposed foam cushion of the passenger's seat (seats were trashed at the time) and couldn't smell any piss. She doused it with Febreeze, and the damn thing smelled of Febreeze for weeks, and let me tell you, that's not a happy smell.

90Brougham350
04-09-07, 03:51 PM
When I broke my wrist playing hockey, I had a canvas-covered cast. It started to smell like gym clothing because of my natural sweat. We sprayed it in Fabreeze. I'd rather smell a 800 lbs. gorilla's ass then ever have to smell Fabreeze again!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-09-07, 07:50 PM
I thought Febreeze only masks smells, not destroys them.

z06bigbird
04-09-07, 08:20 PM
Coffee is what drug smugglers use to mask the drug smell from the drug sniffing dogs.

How do you know???

Ed

z06bigbird
04-09-07, 08:22 PM
You could put a bag of charcoal in trunk and in cabin. Give it a good light. Mothball smell will be gone in 30 min or less. Say hi to firemen.

Ed

Old Fleetwood
04-09-07, 10:42 PM
Coffee and Baking Soda. Both good ideas.
If you can get COOKIE SHEETS, spread the above stuff out on them - for the surface area (the more surface area the better) and place on the floor of the vehicle. Change every other day. After a week, preferably in warm days, it should work well.
Or -
On a "what the hell" basis:
try tossing Baking Soda around on the carpeting and rubbing it in, all over only IF YOU HAVE A GOOD POWERFUL SHOP-VAC TO SUCK IT OUT LATER.
Do that a couple of times and it should take the stench with it.
A friend did this with one of his classic cars which he loaded with mothballs to keep the damn mice away. The smell would knock you over when you opened the door.

Jonas McFeely
04-10-07, 12:43 AM
If none of the above works. use OZIUM. Its the stuff morticians use. My buddy uses it to smoke pot in his room without his dad knowing,it works great.It actually get the smell OUT,not just masks it.You can get it at places like Walgreens or Eckard,or your local head shop.