: doesn't wanna go anymore...

arivera
04-09-07, 01:14 AM
Hey guys. I've been around the forums for a while and really haven't taken part in too many threads, but i was still hoping my caddy brethren would help me out.

I had been driving my 93 fleetwood all day today and had put about 40 miles on it. all highway. it had been driving pretty good. i had made a stop at a friend's house when i noticed a i ran out of gas, the car noticed before i did, so i got stranded. i went ahead a put a gallon of gas. drove really well back to the gas station, filled her up, got back on the road. Got to my destination about 45 miles later, where the car sat for about 4 hours.

Drove another 45 miles home when halfway through my travel, my car turned off. no warning, no nothing. started right back up, and continued driving. About 15 miles later, it turned off again. This time, when it turned on and put into drive, it started choking. so bad that it wouldn't go over 7 mph. got home and hour and a half later, chugging along.

Could it be the fuel pump? what else would someone have to know to try to figure this one out? if anybody would know, they'd be reading this right now...

Thanks in advance for any responses

Artie

Red_October_7000
04-09-07, 03:26 AM
You might have sucked a load of sediment into your fuel filter. That's the "easy" step here. Change it out and see how she runs. I assume the tank is still full. Pour in a couple bottle of octane boost and injector cleaner (Two boost and one cleaner is a good combo) and let that run through. Make your next few fillups with a high-test detergent gasoline (i.e Shell or Mobil) if it's driving well after that.

If that does't resolve the issue it's time to look elsewhere, it might be the fuel pump but in my experiences the fuel pump in the D-bodies is pretty rugged.

caddycruiser
04-09-07, 02:32 PM
Sounds VERY much like the fuel pump, and if it doesn't check out to be a plugged fuel filter, you know the answer.

Very typical symptoms, as a result of running the tank too low for too long, meaning the pump isn't submerged and cooled enough, so it overheats and eventually fries. Happens to a lot of people, myself included, and others can run it down to empty all day long and rarely have an issue.

So just check the filter, and if that isn't it, time for some fuel pump fun.

The Ape Man
04-09-07, 02:48 PM
Sounds VERY much like the fuel pump, and if it doesn't check out to be a plugged fuel filter, you know the answer.

Very typical symptoms, as a result of running the tank too low for too long, meaning the pump isn't submerged and cooled enough, so it overheats and eventually fries. Happens to a lot of people, myself included, and others can run it down to empty all day long and rarely have an issue.

So just check the filter, and if that isn't it, time for some fuel pump fun.

Right on the money. Except I'd just change the pump and get it over with. The crap that you might find in the filter could be the pump's innards. A breakdown can be very expensive and dangerous.

N0DIH
04-09-07, 09:34 PM
There is a TSB on this situation. The vapor canister sounds like it has a plugged line (pinched) and it caused exactly this situation.

The vapor canister is underneath the battery. Look for all lines for pinches or damage.

You can get an idea if it is doing it if there is unusual pressure when you remove the cap. Also, if you remove the cap and reinstall and it fixes the stalling that is another sign of it.

arivera
04-10-07, 07:14 PM
well guys, here's the right answer.

the cat converter!

It's at the mechanics right now and he said the cat was completley clogged.
I do appreciate all the answers given. Thanks again guys.

Jonas McFeely
04-10-07, 07:25 PM
well guys, here's the right answer.

the cat converter!

It's at the mechanics right now and he said the cat was completley clogged.
I do appreciate all the answers given. Thanks again guys.

Wow ive never heard of that ever being an issue before.I just almost got raped by a mechanic,so watch yourself.

The Ape Man
04-10-07, 09:29 PM
Your original post states 2 failures. One was the car shutting off with no warning while driving. This is not a symptom of a clogged exhaust. Now if the car runs poorly and gets much worse when warm then that would be a hint to check manifold vacuum to see if it drops off with steady increase in throttle indicating a clog in the exhaust. Happy motoring.

Red_October_7000
04-10-07, 09:33 PM
Y'know I thought of that. But the whole fuel thing just pointed towards fuel line problems. Glad to hear it got figgured out.

Old Fleetwood
04-10-07, 10:25 PM
If the clogged cat was REALLY the problem, then great. But the symptoms were EXACTLY what happened to my wife's '67 Pontiac GTO, and it was nothing more than a clogged fuel filter.
Hope your Cadillac is okay from here on in.:thumbsup:

Motorboat
04-11-07, 08:08 AM
Save the cat your removing or look thru it yourself. The symtoms you initialy posted are not cat related.

Clogged Cat= engine chugging, no power. These symtoms are not intermittent but constant.

arivera
04-11-07, 03:00 PM
Well after the initial breakdown, it ran like crap all the way home. 6 mph in chicago is not safe, guys! barely got to the mechanic where i had originally replaced fuel pump last september. did full tune up with fuel filter last month, so it couldn't be that. cleaned out the injector around same time too. left the car and came back wanting to see the cat. it was completly clogged. i was pretty surprised myself. it runs like the champ that she is. don't have to do anything else to her now but fix my suspension. she's bouncing all over the place! any suggestions on that? i really don't wanna pay for the air suspension, so i'm going to bypass it. But with what?

90Brougham350
04-11-07, 03:51 PM
I know what you mean, the cat on my '85 Parisienne was totally plugged, couldn't figure out what the hell was wrong with the car. It would run for about 20 seconds, and then run like shit, or die totally. A straight-pipe took care of that!

arivera
04-11-07, 04:25 PM
wish i could do straight pipe. the mechanic didn't charge me too much. i've been going to him for years. but it just sucks that this issue came unexpected. At least now i'm one step closer to making it to the midwest meet!

Old Fleetwood
04-11-07, 09:42 PM
Both NAPA and AutoZone show shocks that are compatible with the air suspension system. They just require small adapters at the shocks themselves. The price isn't anywhere near what the dealer would bite you for.
Or you could simply scrap the entire leveling system and search this BB and look thru the back issues to see how others have been VERY happy with heavy duty shocks.
Elias is one of the first of our clan who comes to mind. And there are others.

N0DIH
04-11-07, 11:42 PM
Put on Bilsteins and you will love it.

For low buck excellent control, Gabriel Ultras for a 1994-1996 9C1 Cop Car Caprice. You will NOT regret it.

Red_October_7000
04-12-07, 01:30 AM
Save the cat your removing or look thru it yourself. The symtoms you initialy posted are not cat related.

Clogged Cat= engine chugging, no power. These symtoms are not intermittent but constant.

It isn't always that simple. My buddy's Dynasty had a plugged cat that was causing intermittent power loss. Something was loose inside of it and was sometimes blocking things up, strangling the car, and other times it ran fine. It may be time to change the fuel filter as a matter of course.

arivera
04-12-07, 07:04 PM
so just bilstein shocks? what abount springs? i'm not familiar with suspension parts.

N0DIH
04-12-07, 07:16 PM
Depends on what you want to do. Corner burn or just ride better and in control. Some Cad owners just want to mush mush mush down the road (I am not one of them....). I don't want rock hard ride either. I like it firm and in control, responsive and able to push a hard corner if needed.

arivera
04-12-07, 08:21 PM
that's what i want. i actually want it to ride high. i like a comfortable ride. not to stiff, but i sure don't want to bounce around everywhere. any suggestions for that?

N0DIH
04-13-07, 12:18 AM
The Gabriel Ultras for the 94-96 Caprice Cop cars are excellent, very good control. They are a bit stiff at first but after a 1K or so, they are quite nice. And after 50K miles, they still are reasonably working. Try that with a garden variety shock....

z06bigbird
04-14-07, 05:19 PM
Good luck.