: srx e85 flex fuel

fallen99angel
04-07-07, 07:30 PM
Hey All
does anyone know if the srx engine can be made into using E85??? I have really thought about doing it, since gas prices overseas are redicilous.
my engine is the V6 from a 2005 model??
I hope someone can answer it
regards
Henrik
Sweden

dkozloski
04-07-07, 10:13 PM
Be prepared to tow your car home. It is not a flex fuel engine. There is no conversion available. I had heard that Swedes are worse cheapskates than Scotsmen. I guess this proves it.

fallen99angel
04-08-07, 07:00 PM
thanks for the info, but ofcourse we may be more cheapskates than the scotsmen, but again we seems to run our country a little smarter than Scotland. Let me give you the run down why it would be interesting to convert the engines, first we pay about 70.000 usd for the srx V6 and about 85.000 usd for the V8, we dont leash the cars here, we actually buy them. Then 1 Litre of gas is about 2 usd, correct me if im wrong, you pay about 3 - 4 usd for a gallon? in the US??.
So its very simple math, what you save you you gain.
I hope cadillac will wake up soon and change strategy before toyota will be the biggest car company in the world
Henrik

dkozloski
04-08-07, 07:19 PM
thanks for the info, but ofcourse we may be more cheapskates than the scotsmen, but again we seems to run our country a little smarter than Scotland. Let me give you the run down why it would be interesting to convert the engines, first we pay about 70.000 usd for the srx V6 and about 85.000 usd for the V8, we dont leash the cars here, we actually buy them. Then 1 Litre of gas is about 2 usd, correct me if im wrong, you pay about 3 - 4 usd for a gallon? in the US??.
So its very simple math, what you save you you gain.
I hope cadillac will wake up soon and change strategy before toyota will be the biggest car company in the world
Henrik
We pay about $2.50 U.S./gal. at present but it's headed up. GM does have a selection of flex fuel cars and more in the planning stages but Cadillacs aren't among them. The price of gasoline isn't so bad if the politicians aren't piling on the taxes.

n7don_srx
04-09-07, 08:14 AM
Henrik here's a link to a company claiming to be working on EPA certification for an E85 conversion kit. http://flextek.com/
E85 fuel is popular in the part of the US that grows corn but states like Arizona where I live, it isn't. In fact, there are only 7 E85 station in the entire state. Also there is much discussion on the benefits, if any, using E85 fuel made from corn. E85 fuel has about 75% the energy content as regular gasoline meaning fuel economy will be less. Some studies say it takes more energy to make it than what it produces. Also it is only cost competitive with gasoline because of government subsidies.
I do think as more E85 vehicles become available it will encourage development of other ways to produce alcohol and make E85 more desireable as fuel.
Is E85 actually cheaper in Sweden than gasoline?

Northern SRX
04-09-07, 11:12 AM
Interestingly, a recent Canadian study found that ethanol fuels may not, in the end, produce better tailpipe emissions...

And I haven't yet seen an environmental analysis of where spent hybrid batteries go at the end of their lives...

donjumpsuit
04-09-07, 11:50 AM
ok so REAL quickly,
Ethanol is about 1/9th less efficient (about 89% energy content)

I don't know about the V6, but the Northstar V8 is defiantly nowhere close to being E85 compatible. Too many Gizmos to risk being fouled by a dryer fuel. However (without looking at that link n7don posted) the kit would include all teflon bushings for every gas line component, a fuel sensor (to determine the ethanol concentration and adjust fuel injectors and timing as necessary, and the computer that regulates those functions. )
Now doing this to an engine that is in a base model chevy truck is no problem, but the caddy has a bit more "engineering" in it to futs with.

Tailpipe emmissions. Well, rather than concentrate on tailpipe emmissions from the fuel, try to understand where it comes from. Ethanol would be carbon neutral (as in produced by using readily available Co2), instead of fossil fuel which is sequestered carbon over millions of years.

Also (although i support cellulostic ethanol rather than corn (cellulostic like in Sweden), Even if the net energy to produce a transportation fuel is still slightly above neutral, it still is in the form of a transportation fuel, which confers some importance.

Its also really efficient to push your car to work, but makes you real sweaty!

dkozloski
04-09-07, 01:17 PM
The flex fuel content sensor in an S-10 Chevy pickup is a very expensive and very failure prone item. If you want E-85 fuel economy you're going to have to pay for it.

fallen99angel
04-14-07, 11:02 AM
Im sorry didnt check the thread for a while, since I had some computer problems, I wanna make clear that cadillac is my first choice of car and Im on my third model now, my first was a 99 sts, then a 2004 cts and now a srx 05, ill most likely get a new cts or srx when my warranty is out. Anyway yeah
E85 is cheaper here, you will also get tax deductions on the car + free or discounted parking in larger cities. Also usually you will get even a better performance on E85, the Saab station car which is a flexfuel will give you another 30 HP if you use E85 instead of gasoline.ha ha go figure.
I guess i have to see whats comming up, but im getting pretty tired of ruthless stockexchangers pushing the oilprices up, by saying we are running out of oil all the time, I know for a fact from a wellknown figure that there are huge unused founds of oil in alaska and russia and other places, if the oil prices wasnt run by goverments or cartels, the price for a barrel would infact be 20$, then we can think about that?
Henrik
Sweden