: Rear Passenger Experience

FiveG
04-07-07, 05:20 PM
I'm considering a 2007 V6 SRX, against some other options. A big consideration is the rear (second seat) passenger comfort: what's it like to ride there for a long ride. Figure that the driver seat is going to be set pretty far back (driver is 6'4"), with passengers being pretty tall as well. In addition, some riding will involve three in the back. Is it cramped in those circumstances? What is the ride like for those folks?

Thanks.

FiveG

CaddyinKC
04-07-07, 05:32 PM
FiveG,

I would not recommend three across in the back seat, but for only two in the back seat, the ride is very comfortable for even long rides.

b4z
04-07-07, 07:34 PM
Yeah, the SRX is pretty narrow, but the legroom is fine.
I'm 6'8" by the way.

FiveG
04-07-07, 07:38 PM
Is the middle seat usable, even if you have to put your legs on either side of the hump? We looked at an Acura MDX, and the middle seat was a complete joke -- which was amazing given that it was a wider vehicle.

c5 rv
04-07-07, 07:58 PM
Back (middle) seat comfort in the SRX is excellent. It's theater style with a higher seating position than the front seats. The only regrets I've heard from my passengers is the lack of a recline feature and no seat heaters.

tonygxp
04-07-07, 09:28 PM
Back (middle) seat comfort in the SRX is excellent. It's theater style with a higher seating position than the front seats. The only regrets I've heard from my passengers is the lack of a recline feature and no seat heaters.

X2, my seats are all the way back and the rear leg room is outstanding:thumbsup:

FiveG
04-08-07, 05:22 AM
Just confirming my question: has to do with the middle seat of the middle seat. Work well/comfortable?

FiveG

Northern SRX
04-08-07, 06:37 AM
Just confirming my question: has to do with the middle seat of the middle seat. Work well/comfortable?

FiveG

Perhaps it's too flippant to underscore that it depends on who's sitting there and for what length of time. A fair-sized adult for several hours? I wouldn't think so. I've had pre-teens in that seat for 45'-1hr with no complaints. In fact, most of them actually prefer the middle position :confused:

The seat is wide enough for 3 adults and the leg room is fantastic for the 2 outboard positions. I doubt that you'll find a RWD/AWD CUV/SUV where the middle seat has great legroom...

FiveG
04-09-07, 06:14 AM
Let me sort of refine this with a couple of comments. A friend of mine sat in the back while I test drove a V6, and said the ride back there was such that he felt all the bumps in the road -- is that unusual, or standard fare with the way the suspension is tuned?

Also, I'm coming from an older SUV which does not have a middle floor "hump," which is why I was wondering about how the middle passenger fares. The person who'd probably spend most of the time is about 5'7" but still growing, but after a couple of years, we'll have less middle seat use (kid moving out for college).

Thanks.

Northern SRX
04-09-07, 06:46 AM
Let me sort of refine this with a couple of comments. A friend of mine sat in the back while I test drove a V6, and said the ride back there was such that he felt all the bumps in the road -- is that unusual, or standard fare with the way the suspension is tuned?

Also, I'm coming from an older SUV which does not have a middle floor "hump," which is why I was wondering about how the middle passenger fares. The person who'd probably spend most of the time is about 5'7" but still growing, but after a couple of years, we'll have less middle seat use (kid moving out for college).

Thanks.

The bumps are the way the car is tuned. Initially, I had to remind myself that the SRX was more sportswagon than SUV and that its ride was decidedly more European than American. That translates into road feel - something I personally like but it's not everbody's cuppa. Still, most of the serious competition offers a similar ride - save perhaps the Lexus RX.

b4z
04-09-07, 08:04 AM
MRC may help some with the bumps but it also has to do with 18" tires vs. 17" and the type of tire and speed rating.
If you put on a less performance oriented tire it will have a softer sidewall and will ride better.

TSS
04-09-07, 10:11 AM
I have MRC with the 18" wheels. MRC makes a big difference. Rear seat ride and room are great in my opinion. More comfortable and usable rear seat (middle seat) space than in my prior Tahoes (1999 & 2001).

miked
04-13-07, 02:12 AM
FWIW, we've taken a number of long roadtrips in our SRX: Seattle to New Mexico and back, Seattle to Phoenix, Phoenix to New Mexico, Phoenix to Denver. I drive; my wife sits in the back seat with the dog (long story). She loves it back there -- says it's the most comfortable car we've owned for ride comfort. Now, we did install heated seats in the back . . . .

DVC-Don
04-13-07, 04:33 PM
My two teens (16 & 15) tell me they prefer the back seat of my Hummer H3 over the wifes SRX on long trips.

FiveG
04-13-07, 05:19 PM
My two teens (16 & 15) tell me they prefer the back seat of my Hummer H3 over the wifes SRX on long trips.

Really?!? When I sat in the H3, it seemed really cramped back there. Not so in the SRX, at least for me.

c5 rv
04-13-07, 06:49 PM

I think that sounds more like teens not wanting to be seen in the mom-mobile.

DVC-Don
04-15-07, 08:19 AM
Nah, they both say the seats in the SRX are "too hard" compared to the H3. I gotta believe them as the SRX has a DVD system for them, but the H3 does not.