: Anybody here have Dynomax Super Turbos on your Northstar?

04-07-07, 04:30 AM
I am thinking about hacking off the stock muffs and going with a pair of the Super Turbos and Z28 rectangular tips. Anybody done these muffs and did you notice any performance gain? I realize I probabley wont get too much performance out of it, but it would be nice to have a little more of a rumble when I get on it.

04-07-07, 08:22 AM
Lots of people at Caddyinfo have the Dynomax Super Turbos. I understand they all like them.

04-07-07, 10:16 AM
and u know wat the z/28 tips look like from my car!

04-07-07, 01:52 PM
and u know wat the z/28 tips look like from my car!

your exhaust focking rocks :thumbsup:
sounds like alot mroe than a northstar under there!

04-07-07, 10:32 PM
:confused: HMMMMM......lessee...If memory serves me correctly, the 1964 Chevy Corvair Monza Spyder was one of the first production turbocharged street cars, using a beefed up air cooled flat 6, 4-speed. There were no wastegate or blowoff provisions to limit boost, so power output was controlled by: 1. A single throat carburetor which went supersonic (airflow restriction) at around 6200 RPM, and 2. A single 3" "turbo" muffler which, internally, severely restricted exhaust gas flow at around the same RPM, limiting turbocharger rotor speed, thus boost. "Turbo" has become a buzzword in exhaust circles 'cause it sounds trick. If the muffler you contemplate was really "turbo" (i.e. exhaust restrictive) would you put it on your normally aspirated engine???

04-08-07, 09:51 AM
Agree with Submariner there - the "Turbo" appellation has become quite overused in marketing circles, so I'd just ignore it.

I put the standard 20" Dynomax replacement muffs on my Eldo last June - the same length as the stock muffs, rather than the 14" that some people here have put on - which required an extention pipe or some other rigging from the muffler shop. Meineke did mine in about 30 minutes, they were an exact fit.

The D/S/Ts are a little quieter at idle, actually, but they start to 'burble' nicely at around 1500 RPM. Full throttle is also a bit throatier, but at some point the engine noise overcomes the exhaust note.

I doubt whether there is any performance gain noticeable except by a machine, and even there it would probably be very minimal.

04-08-07, 04:46 PM
Thanks for all the info everyone. Maybe I should sue the companies that call them Turbo mufflers as they contain no turbochargers, lol.

Anyhow, for now I think I am just going to stick with the stock muffs, it does sound nice even with those when I get on it and I dont like loud cars anyhow, so I guess I'd just be wasting money. If in the future the stock muffs go, I'll replace them with the dynomax ones as I'll need them anyhow at that point.

04-09-07, 01:56 PM
Probably a smart move - I'm not saying I regret doing mine last year (at a total outlay of about $125.00 ) but I am a little disappointed that the exhaust note isn't just a teeny weeny bit 'rougher' at idle - I was hoping for something just a bit more agressive than the stock - and like I said, at idle they're actually QUIETER than stock...

04-09-07, 02:25 PM
I am kind of nervous in doing exhausts at this point as I spent around 300 bucks on my Colorado pickup truck for nothing. I did a flowmaster 40 series and hated it and ended up putting on a walker quiteflow which is about like stock. The 5 cylinder motor in that vehicle sounds horrible with anything other than stock in my opinion. Well at least the truck is a little lighter now as the stock looked like big oil drum and the quiteflow looks just like a regular muffler. When I had the flowmaster on everytime I hit a hill on the highway there was a real drone in the cab, it really interfered with the good sound system I have in the truck.

04-09-07, 07:18 PM
FWIW, 6 months ago I scored a CORSA system for my '02 STS at AutoPartsWarehouse for less than a grand, FED EX shipping free. The system is a work of art and is stupidly easy to install WITH A LIFT. Nice idle, dead quiet at cruise from 50 to 80, but all bets are off when you get aggressive with the accelerator: the system is made of mandrel bent straight pipes, all 2 1/2", muffler/resonator included, and uses several various sized holes burned in the pipe walls inside the muffler/resonators to "tune out" the cruise RPM drone. When exhaust gas flow increases past a certain point, there aren't any mufflers in the system. Using a flashlight you can see through the entire system from cat to tips.