: Rear window shattered out of the blue!

dhemrick
04-07-07, 12:51 AM
I know someone else in this group had this happen, and tonight it happened to me.

I was driving down a smooth city street in a light rain with the temperature outside being 41 degrees F and inside temperature set to 72. I did not have the rear defrost on.

I heard a very loud bang that sounded like a gunshot. I looked back and my rear window had shattered.

The window stayed in place, but it is completely shattered into small fragments.

I looked and there was nothing on the outside that hit the car. It seemed to have shattered on it's own. Ugh... this sucks.

The window was also tinted so even if I get this replaced, I'm sure they are going to try not to pay for the tint.

Any suggestions on cause and course of action? How common is this?

Thanks,
Dale

Playdrv4me
04-07-07, 01:42 AM
Its alot more common than you would think. I remember the first few times we saw this was on brand new STS's when the car was first introduced in late 2004. I am not sure if the cause was ever found, but I know that at the very least it was being investigated. If you do a search for "shattered" Im sure youll get a multitude of threads on this subject.

You should not get any pushback from the dealer on having this replaced because by now its a known problem. If the window was tinted I am relatively confident they will actually cover it for you as a gesture of goodwill. Most dealers have lot guys that come out in a van and do tintwork, leather dyeing, and dent repair services.

The funny thing is, in this case I think the tint saved you from forever having tiny pieces of glass lodged all over the place in the rear of the car, since the shattered pieces just stuck to the tint, much like the laminated glass in the front.

Jesda
04-07-07, 06:44 AM
This has been a problem on Cadillacs, Nissans, and some Toyotas. I think there's a screwy supplier out there.

dhemrick
04-07-07, 09:06 AM
Thanks, guys. I'll call my local dealer and see what they say. I really want this fixed very soon.

I agree with you though that the tint probably saved me. It would have been a terrible mess had the whole window imploded into the car.

At least I was alone in the car, but I had just dropped off two friends not 10 minutes before so it could have been a lot worse.

Playdrv4me
04-07-07, 03:27 PM
I agree with you. My concern with this has always been that one day this is going to happen to some poor soul with a heart condition, or startle someone enough to cause an accident. Hearing the sound of a gunshot firing in the serenity and peace of your car never goes well. When/if that happens, someone is going to a world of crap on their desk real fast.

dhemrick
04-07-07, 08:22 PM
Yeah. I was going through an intersection at the time and for a split second I thought I had been hit because it was SO loud.

Fortunately I didn't slam on my brakes or make a sudden move, but I can see someone doing this and causing an accident.

Had I not seen the posts here about the same problem, I could have easily made the assumption that someone HAD shot my car. I can see someone not knowing this and also panicking.

Well, the good news is that my local Cadillac service department is open on Saturday so I dropped the car off over there so they can get the glass guy in on Monday to work on it.

He also said that he would talk to the district rep. about replacing the tint on the window as well. I would have to go have it done, but he thought they would pay for it since this is a known problem.

He knew immediately about the TSB, but was surprised it happened to an 06. He said he saw a lot of them in 05, but hadn't seen one for a while.

His explanation of the cause was the different expansion rates of the window and the rubber gasket that holds it in. This caused tension on the window which caused it to pop. The temperature had dropped about 20 degrees in 2 hours here, so maybe that was enough to cause it? Who knows....

On further inspection, the whole window was shattered, but there was a definite 1/8th inch split at the bottom of the window as if the whole window except the part attached to the bottom gasket had been pulled up toward the roof.

In any event, thanks for all the advice. This group is such a great source of information!

Thanks,
Dale

NC STS-V
04-07-07, 10:09 PM
Dale,

Sorry to hear about the window. I'm glad it didn't lead to any bigger problems! Are you sure it wasn't a gunshot? You know how dangerous Cary can be !
:brutal:

Did you take the car to Hendrick? How was your experience with them? What did they give you to drive?

Ron

dhemrick
04-08-07, 10:30 AM
Dale,

Sorry to hear about the window. I'm glad it didn't lead to any bigger problems! Are you sure it wasn't a gunshot? You know how dangerous Cary can be !
:brutal:

Did you take the car to Hendrick? How was your experience with them? What did they give you to drive?

Ron

Ah yes... Cary the hotbed of crime that it is. LOL Well, it WAS in front of Cinelli's Pizza on Kildaire Farm Road when the window shattered. Maybe a mob hit? :thepan: Fuggedaboudit!

I did take the car to Hendrick Cadillac since it was closer to my house. I've used both them and Thompson Cadillac in Raleigh, both with mixed results.

I've used Hendrick in the past for our Eldorado and 98 STS, and they were pretty good and personable, but not cheap, and the service department always seems very rushed and the service managers overworked. Thompson on the other hand is not as rushed and did work very nicely with a warranty company on a transmission issue on our 03 DTS (fixed right the first time), but they are not as personable either, and they failed twice to adequately diagnose and fix an AC controller/fan issue on the same DTS (it's still not right). :tard:

I have a pretty good working relationship with the very nice service manager David West at Hendrick based on some past work, so he takes OK care of me.

I asked about a loaner yesterday, and he said "Well, the best I can do is get you something through Enterprise on Monday" which I knew meant some small Toyota piece of crap. I'm kind of surprised that they didn't just give me Cadillac (a REAL car) to drive right there, but oh well. I didn't push him on it since I still have my Eldorado, so I just had them take me home in the shuttle van and I'll be "forced" to drive the Eldorado until the STS-V is fixed. :)

I'll let you know how they do.

Kadonny
04-09-07, 09:09 AM
I heard this was a problem with some cars. Something about how the glass is mounted in the track and it gets pinched causing it to shatter.

Dealer will fix, no worries.

z06bigbird
04-09-07, 08:48 PM
Glad to hear that dealer is taking care of you.

Ed

dhemrick
04-12-07, 08:49 PM
Glad to hear that dealer is taking care of you.

Ed

I got the car back today. They had it finished yesterday but I didn't have time to pick it up.

I must say that the dealer (Hendrick Cadillac in Cary, NC) took very good care of me. They overnighted the window from Michigan on Monday, installed it on Tuesday, and retinted the rear window back to the way it was.

They also, at my request, ordered the navigation system software update disks so I'll have that done next week.

The window is perfectly installed, the tint job is good, and they returned the car to me completely cleaned inside and out.

They guys were very nice and great to deal with.

My only complaint is that they are very busy and hard to get on the phone, but are great at responding to email, which is fine with me. They kept me up on the progress daily.

Overall, a very satisfying repair experience. I would have rather had the window not explode, but I am very satisfied with the resolution.

NC STS-V
04-13-07, 09:31 PM
Dale,

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

I have dealt with the body shop over at Hendrick (18 yr old bimbo hit my '98 vette and my '04 CTS-V was keyed at Connolly's) and was very happy with them. I haven't dealt with the Cadi service department, but based on your experience I may give them a shot. I bought the CTS-V at Thompson was was always happy with their service, but it is a hike from my house!

Ron

VelocitySTSV
01-30-08, 08:04 PM
Did they fix this under warranty or was it an actual recall? I have a friend it happend to here today with a 2005. It is out of warranty, I wonder if they will still fix it.

dhemrick
01-30-08, 10:42 PM
Mine was fixed under warranty.

Slo-Mo-Shun
05-17-09, 06:54 PM
. . .

He knew immediately about the TSB, but was surprised it happened to an 06. He said he saw a lot of them in 05, but hadn't seen one for a while.

The shattered rear window syndrome just happened to my car, while the car was parked overnight in the carport no less. Thank gawd I recalled seeing this thread (and was able to find it) or I would have assumed the glass was shattered by marauding teenagers or something similar.

Does anyone have the number for the TSB mentioned above? I prefer to be fully armed when I take it into the dealer on Monday morning.

ssstealth
05-17-09, 09:42 PM
Dale, Did they indicate whether or not the new back glass was a different or better design. Is this a problem with the glass, the mounting method, or the structure of the car? I would sure like to get some assurance that this will not happen every year on a cool spring day.

dhemrick
05-17-09, 11:09 PM
Dale, Did they indicate whether or not the new back glass was a different or better design. Is this a problem with the glass, the mounting method, or the structure of the car? I would sure like to get some assurance that this will not happen every year on a cool spring day.

Granted, it's been two years (has it been that long???) since mine shattered, but from what I remember in my conversation with the dealer at the time, he said the issue was not with the glass itself, but with the material used to construct the seal that holds the window in. The seal expanded and contracted at a different rate than the window, so it can put the window under sufficient tension until it shatters.

If I understand correctly, the replacement glass is the same, but the seal design and materials have been improved.

Don't take this as the ultimate truth since I am doing this from memory from what the dealer told me, but it did make sense that this could happen in this manner.

Slo-Mo-Shun
05-19-09, 01:47 PM
Just posting to confirm that there is in fact a TSB out on this issue, as stated to me by my dealer. If your dealer questions you or suggests that it is not a warranty issue, insist that he look for it.

The good news is that its fully covered by the warranty. The bad news is that you have to use GM glass, which must be shipped from Michigan. The good news is you get loaner.

LITTLEELVISDAN
05-19-09, 04:16 PM
1 bear on 1 bike, 2 bears on 1 bike, 2 bears on 2 bikes. :-)

dempsey
12-02-10, 11:29 PM
Hello Today as I was driving my rear window shattered with no warning, it was a loud noise after pulling over I drove straight to the dealer they told me it had nothing to do with my car and I was going to have to pay for it out of pocket. I am so upset because I know nothing hit my window. Please advise how I can get access to TSB for this matter. I tried searching the web but no luck.. Thank you very much