: Cad 500 swap motor mounts ?

Allante North *
03-27-04, 09:41 AM
Swapping a 500 into a "76" El Camino and wonder if anyone has experience with motor mount adaptations. I see that Flash and MTS have kits, but wonder if anyone has used them and how they worked. My mechanic thinks he can fab some, but I believe it will be trial and error. I would prefer to just bolt and go if possible, but want a warm fuzzy feeling prior to spending the bucks.

We used the 425 block and pan to check clearance and there are some issues. The 425 pan might work, but it will all depend on how the engine mounts work. To high on the frame will cause clearance problems with the transmission and might require that engine be removed to work on tranny. I want to avoid potential problems on the front end and hope someone has experience with these issues.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

lux hauler
03-27-04, 12:48 PM
I doubt you will find a "bolt and go" motor mount set-up. I have a set of the MTS universal mounts but I'm not sure I'm going to use them. I may just fab my own. I'll have to see what everything looks like when I get a motor in there.

I was told, for my truck, that the motor mounts (frame and engine mounts) from a '77-'79 DeVille make things really easy. I'm going to check that option too.

Allante North *
03-28-04, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the reply Lux! Do you think that even with the kit from MTS or Flash I would have to do some engineering of my own? Have you set the kit in your P/U yet to see how things might line up. From what I have read, the install in a truck is much easier than a car. I did email Al and Flash to ask if anyone had done a swap similar to what I have planned, and wil await their reply. I may go ahead and order a set unless you would be interested in selling yours. BTW are you going to use headers on your project? I am interested in the Cad600 that Sanderson sells.

lux hauler
03-28-04, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the reply Lux! Do you think that even with the kit from MTS or Flash I would have to do some engineering of my own? Have you set the kit in your P/U yet to see how things might line up. From what I have read, the install in a truck is much easier than a car. I did email Al and Flash to ask if anyone had done a swap similar to what I have planned, and wil await their reply. I may go ahead and order a set unless you would be interested in selling yours. BTW are you going to use headers on your project? I am interested in the Cad600 that Sanderson sells.I sent you a link of a site with some pictures of an El Camino with a 500. In those pictures you can see the mounts he made......that part looks pretty easy. From the looks of it, part of MTS's universal mount kit might work but, for the cost, I think you'd be better off fab'ing those........that shouldn't be hard. Any semi competent welder could do those. The mounts that were used look like early to mid 70's RWD mounts.
I've got a set of big block Chevy headers that I will probably use for my truck. I still have to get the Caddy flange and do some cutting and welding. Make sure that those Sandersons fit. I've heard of some problems with different headers in different cars. Everyone does their swaps a little differently, therefore the engine sits differently in every car (engine a little more forward or back, engine higher or lower, etc.).....what works in one car may not work in another.

lux hauler
03-28-04, 11:08 AM
BTW.....I might still use part/all of the kit that I have. I won't know until I get to the point of mocking everything up.

Allante North *
03-31-04, 09:24 PM
OK, I bit the bullit and ordered the Universal Kit from Flash in NM. We talked for some time and I feel better about what he has to offer. The kit includes new motor mounts, and the 3/8" steel plate and bolts. I hope it arrives by the weekend so we can see what happens. Will report progress if anyone is interested.

lux hauler
04-01-04, 04:04 PM
OK, I bit the bullit and ordered the Universal Kit from Flash in NM. We talked for some time and I feel better about what he has to offer. The kit includes new motor mounts, and the 3/8" steel plate and bolts. I hope it arrives by the weekend so we can see what happens. Will report progress if anyone is interested.Can you post a picture of the kit when you get it? I'd like to see what it looks like.

Allante North *
04-26-04, 04:39 AM
Hey Lux,

Here is a pic of the mounts installed.

Second pic is of engine before install.

Third pic is of engine installed and just before we started it.

What a tight fit!

lux hauler
04-26-04, 07:52 PM
Looks good!!! Nice and clean.:thumbsup:

Do you have it on the road yet? It ought to be a blast to drive.:burn:

Allante North *
04-27-04, 07:03 PM
It is not road worthy yet, but will be soon. New brakes all round(if I get it going, I want to be able to stop), radiator should have arrived today, tranny needs shift kit installed/serviced, and last but not least I have to finish sanding and prep for primer/paint.

The interior is bad, but it will do fine while I work out the driveline kinks if any. I plan to add some better seats and a console shifter soon as well. It will NOT be a show car, but I do hope it will be a GO car.

You going to make it to Potters this weekend? I hope so, I look forward to meeting several people there.

lux hauler
04-27-04, 07:09 PM
Sounds good!!!

I doubt I'll make Potter's. As much as I'd like to, it's just a little too far......I'm still thinking about it though.