: Who has full coverage on their big Broughams?

My_favorite_Brougham
04-06-07, 09:25 AM
How many of you out their have full coverage on your big old Caddies? Just curious because I've been considering it for various things like hail damage and parking lot damage, or even your own mishap. But is it really worth paying into for a car that's nearly 20 years old? I could easily spend more in a year for that than I did for the whole car. Basically, how should I handle the issue of protecting my priceless Caddy that insurnace companies consider worthless (ie. They'd total it for almost anything due to the low blue book value)?

N0DIH
04-06-07, 10:05 AM
I do, as it is my primary car and if something happened, I don't have the resources to drop $4K or more on a car that is similar to replace it. I am not willing to finance a car, cash is the only way....

You might want to get stated value insurance too. Then if something happens they cut you a check for what you stated the value to be. Good for old classics being they won't give you jack to replace it if something happens to it. They would rather total it, they make more money that way.

90Brougham350
04-06-07, 10:08 AM
I couldn't afford full coverage, besides, my Brougham isn't worth fixing in an accident anyways. With the price these cars are going for, it's almost easier to find a new one on eBay or collectorcartraderonline and go from there.

N0DIH
04-06-07, 11:09 AM
Everyone tells us we shouldn't have it on my old 96 Suburban, but when it got totalled last May by a hit and run semi in a construction zone where the speed limit was 45 and he was doing 70+....

But we ended up getting around $5400 from the insurance company for a 96 with 234K miles on it. And it was still drivable, so I bought it back for $500 and sold it for $1300 (should have got more, but we were buying another truck then) and that got us enough to get a 99 K2500 Suburban for $6400 (killer price) that we had to drive to Maryland to get. But we have the truck we really wanted. Hyrdoboost brakes, 12.5" front brakes, 13x3.5" rear brakes, fairly new tires, etc. Well worth it.....

So is it worth insurance? If you have to have it replaced, yes. Sure, we pay around $150 a month for my 94 Cad with full coverage, the 99 Burb with full coverage, and my 80 T/A with comp as it doesn't drive right now.

I used to pay $688 for 6 months for my 80 T/A when I was under 21..... So I don't think it is too bad. Still a lot, but it is just needed.....

If we had a lot of $$ to fall back on, then yes, I would consider dropping it. A friend of mine thinks that you can just drop full coverage and save that $$ per month and that is enough to replace the car if it gets whacked. Nope, we had the 96 truck 23 months and it got hit. So that would have maybe saved us $1200 tops. Not worth not having..... Not for me right now.

creeker
04-06-07, 11:40 AM
Luckily where I live (british columbia ,Canada) the insurance is run by the province(state) they have a "collector car" rate,if you have another registered vehicle you qualify,even though I can use my collector car anytime
with no restrictions, I have full coverage, I pay $242.00 a year.

eldorado99
04-06-07, 12:28 PM
Luckily where I live (british columbia ,Canada) the insurance is run by the province(state) they have a "collector car" rate,if you have another registered vehicle you qualify,even though I can use my collector car anytime
with no restrictions, I have full coverage, I pay $242.00 a year.

Well there is one restriction, you can't drive a collector car to work or school, but thats not what they're for anyway right? :)

Jonas McFeely
04-06-07, 12:57 PM
As some of you know,my Brougham was "totalled" in December of '05 by a jerk off in an F-150. That is why it didnt have bumpers for 5 months.It does now. I was at a stop light,waiting,i look in my rear view and have time to say "oh shi..",and WHACK, didnt even hit his brakes.He hit me so hard i hit a Mercury Tracer in front of me,and that car hit a truck in front of it. I got out,and immediately went up to his truck screaming all kinds of obscenities.Later i made sure my passenger and person i was pushed into was ok.

His shitty Ford was actually totalled and had to be towed away.I drove my Brougham away.His insurance adjuster came out and took one look at my car and said that it was totalled(i had NO body damage,only bumper,headlight and tail light damge) and he would need me to sign my car over to him.Said there was over $4,000 worth of damage,bullshit.I was like F that S. So i signed a waiver saying i wouldnt sue Progressive or the guy who hit me and he cut me a check for $1800, the blue book on my car was only $1000.

Point is,if i had full coverage,they wouldnt have fixed it anyway,over a couple of damn bumpers.Im so damn sick of insurance companies.I pay $227 PER MONTH for property damage and personal injury liablity.I have had only 1 at-fault MINOR accident,over 2 years ago.And i have had NO speeding tickets.Shit.

rlyons
04-06-07, 01:12 PM
As some of you know,my Brougham was "totalled" in December of '05 by a jerk off in an F-150. That is why it didnt have bumpers for 5 months.It does now. I was at a stop light,waiting,i look in my rear view and have time to say "oh shi..",and WHACK, didnt even hit his brakes.He hit me so hard i hit a Mercury Tracer in front of me,and that car hit a truck in front of it. I got out,and immediately went up to his truck screaming all kinds of obscenities.Later i made sure my passenger and person i was pushed into was ok.

His shitty Ford was actually totalled and had to be towed away.I drove my Brougham away.His insurance adjuster came out and took one look at my car and said that it was totalled(i had NO body damage,only bumper,headlight and tail light damge) and he would need me to sign my car over to him.Said there was over $4,000 worth of damage,bullshit.I was like F that S. So i signed a waiver saying i wouldnt sue Progressive or the guy who hit me and he cut me a check for $1800, the blue book on my car was only $1000.

Point is,if i had full coverage,they wouldnt have fixed it anyway,over a couple of damn bumpers.Im so damn sick of insurance companies.I pay $227 PER MONTH for property damage and personal injury liablity.I have had only 1 at-fault MINOR accident,over 2 years ago.And i have had NO speeding tickets.Shit.
I don't know your age so that could be a factor but I live in Florida and i pay about that for full coverage on 2 cars, 1 truck and two motorcycles. I have no accidents on my record though. You may want to shop around a little.

425 Dual Quad
04-06-07, 01:43 PM
I have full coverage on all 4 - the '93 and '94 are £300 a peice here in the UK, the two '79's are on a group classic policy for another £300 on an any car under 20 years old basis, unlimited mileage. I may be getting a '76 FWD soon and that will go on the same policy for an admin fee only.

All policies are with the same broker and all are fully comprehensive including Class 1 business use, free windscreen indemnity and covered legal fees. Wouldn't consider it any other way .....

Don't risk it! It's not the cost of the car you are covering it si the cost of sorting out the mess if something happens and it's down to you.... that's why it's called 'insurance'.

regards
Nick

Jonas McFeely
04-06-07, 01:49 PM
I don't know your age so that could be a factor but I live in Florida and i pay about that for full coverage on 2 cars, 1 truck and two motorcycles. I have no accidents on my record though. You may want to shop around a little.

Esurance wants $450 a month,Geico over $300.I was paying $290 with Direct,and now im paying $227 with General.Ive done my shopping.I am 19 though,so i can expect to pay this for awhile...

v90hamm77
04-06-07, 02:24 PM
I have full coverage on my 96 FWB from Geico. I pay $100 a month.

N0DIH
04-06-07, 03:17 PM
What most people don't realize too is when you have full coverage is YOUR insurance company goes to bat for you, so if there is damage, they fix it and pay for it, and they go off get the $$ out of the other company. Even if it is an individual. We had our truck sideswiped in front of our house and the neighbors did it. State Farm covered the truck without question and then they went after them. We did get stuck with the deductable, but that was it. And if they do get the $3600 from them, we get our deductable too, but of course at the end. So we don't have to worry about it at all. It DOES work out well that way.

So if you had full coverage, your insurance co deals with progressive or whoever the jerk who hit you. Then you go get your car fixed immediately and whatever coverages you have (towing, rental, etc) are also covered. then they nab the offender....

Yes, if you had full coverage you would be driving your car now and they would pay for it all.

I feel it is worth having an insurance company represent your interests. Without, you are on the line to get screwed badly, like Progressive did for you....

96Fleetwood
04-06-07, 04:08 PM
I have had Nationwide full coverage on every car I have owned... they have stood by me in the thick and thin. When I had a incident with my Fleetwood, they sent me to a Blue Ribbon body shop with a 5 star reputation and no questions asked when I wanted all new OEM parts :thumbsup:

bigbluebrougham
04-06-07, 05:21 PM
I do!!! I agree with N0DIH, I can't afford a replacement car, so full coverage is the way to go! I am changing my coverage to $250 deductibles and getting some things fixed. For my car it is $60 a month with $500 deductibles and $68 for $250 deductibles. Makes sense to me to change over! I wonder why we are so cheap up here? My wife's 2000 Monte Carlo SS is only $60 a month for full coverage.

Motorboat
04-06-07, 06:26 PM
My advice is to increase the deductible to at least $1,000.00. The farther you keep the insurance company from spending the first dollar the cheaper the premium will be.

While I know what my '88 Brougham with 65K is worth to me, I also realize that to 99.9% of the population it is worth very little. Fighting with an Insurance company is like wrestleing a pig, after awhile you realize that the pig is enjoying it.

Just my opinion, your's may differ.

N0DIH
04-06-07, 07:09 PM
I think we are at $250, the diff between $250 and $500 wasn't much so we opted for $250.

Benzilla
04-06-07, 08:01 PM
I'm switching to classic car insurance on all of mine.

right now the Phaeton is on full coverage, I'd have to be a crazy man to risk it wit that one!

the '83 & '90 just have PLPD, the '83 gets driven maybe 1,000 miles a year at most, and the '90 I'm thinking about trading.

Cadillac Giovanni
04-06-07, 09:14 PM
I hate insurance companies. It never works out for me. I'd just assume drive around without insurance at all and gamble with whether or not i ever get pulled over and fined for that. It's more exciting that way.

All i know is that i got rear ended, and i had to pay for all the damage. The insurance company can kiss my ass and go to hell.

Sorry for the profanity, but you've touched upon a sore subject.

z06bigbird
04-06-07, 10:04 PM
By buying insurance, you are betting that your car will get wrecked (totalled??) Ins co is betting that it won't.

Either way, you pay. They win.

Ed

N0DIH
04-06-07, 11:12 PM
But, if you don't pay and get hit, you lose.....

Cost of driving a ride that matters....

My_favorite_Brougham
04-07-07, 01:11 AM
I suppose full coverage wouldn't be so bad on a car with little wide-market interest. Hence the low blue book. Do insurance companies offer lower rates for full coverage on a car that in their opinion is of little worth? After all, to them it really isn't that much risk. I mean, it's not like I'm getting full coverage on a new Testerossa, or anything.

Oh Ben, why is it you are losing your fondness for the '90? In my opinion it's the best of your three. Astroroof, d'Elegance, Diplomat blue, 350cui. I wouldn't have it any other way. If you ever think of letting her go be sure to ask us here, because I really like her.

-Greg

Benzilla
04-07-07, 01:45 AM
I guess I'm just tired of it. I never did have a deep passion for it, I like it.

It may be a d'Elegance, but to me it just doesn't have the character that the Phaeton does, The Phaeton says love me or hate me, I'm here to stay. The '90 is... blue. It's a nice car, but it never grabbed me the same way. And if you want to get technical, the '79 has way more optional equipment than the '90. It was the most expensive DeVille ever when it was made. But what good are numbers when it comes to personal taste?

I like how the '83 is white, it stands out like a huge white ship. And the older coupes just seem more iconic to me, I still see old people driving '90 Broughams. I get more thumbs up and comments on the coupes. They just seem more youthful, like an eccentric single guy car, not a 4 door sedan, you know what I mean?

My_favorite_Brougham
04-07-07, 02:03 PM
Yeah I know what you mean. But that's why I like the big four-door sedans, because pepole think I'm some old grandma. It's kinda cool.

Jonas McFeely
04-07-07, 02:26 PM
I guess I'm just tired of it. I never did have a deep passion for it, I like it.

It may be a d'Elegance, but to me it just doesn't have the character that the Phaeton does, The Phaeton says love me or hate me, I'm here to stay. The '90 is... blue. It's a nice car, but it never grabbed me the same way. And if you want to get technical, the '79 has way more optional equipment than the '90. It was the most expensive DeVille ever when it was made. But what good are numbers when it comes to personal taste?

I like how the '83 is white, it stands out like a huge white ship. And the older coupes just seem more iconic to me, I still see old people driving '90 Broughams. I get more thumbs up and comments on the coupes. They just seem more youthful, like an eccentric single guy car, not a 4 door sedan, you know what I mean?

Truer words were never spoken.Thats why i want my coupe so bad.

lochenjons
04-08-07, 11:30 AM

haha right on dude. i get a lot of comments about my cadillac. sometimes i used to wish it was a coupe like yours, but it's been a little over half a year of owning it and the sedan has grown on me. as far as the whiole insurance thing goes? i dont insure it for full. i mean im pretty careful with it. anything that gets dented or wrecked, id get it repaired professionally at a body shop and if that fails, its off to the pick n pull for some new caddy parts! moneys tight around here but if i didnt have enough money to pay for repairs, id put it in storage until i did. if it got totaled... well... that would be a sad end to my cadillac. then it would be off to buy a '74 talisman or something sweet like that

caddycruiser
04-08-07, 04:21 PM
Strangely enough, I actually don't on my relatively primo '95, for whatever reason. I guess it's mainly because my father only put liability on his Roadmaster--not worth enough to bother, to him--and the '93 FWB--just not driven enough--so I did the same with mine, particularly since it just sat covered up for a few months after I got it.

Of course, I now also do a ton of highway driving in comparison, and my car sits out most of the time in a big parking lot, so everyday I worry more and more about it. Especially if it not only were it in an accident, but was stolen, damaged, etc.--never really considered what dilemma I'd be in with no car and no money from it. So, long story short, stepping the coverages up a notch or two is definitely in my plans for the next couple of months.

N0DIH
04-08-07, 05:01 PM
I drive 35K miles a year on mine, so the car despite it's high miles (218K) it is very important to me and if it went down right now, I would be in trouble. And driving my wife's 454 K2500 Suburban would add $10-$15 a DAY to drive and then she would be without. Being I don't have a huge $$ fallback to just drop on it to replace it, it is needed to have. Considering the miles I do, the cost per mile with collision vs not is actually minimal. Yes, I know, likely anything happens it would be totalled, as parts for these rides are more and more scarce every day, so it would get me the $$ to find another or go with something like a DuraMax diesel which is quite temping. Likely get me better mpg too....

Rob Benham
04-09-07, 11:57 PM
Nick, there is a vast difference in the liability cover here. In the UK, third party cover can be without limit, certainly tens of millions, here it's for a pittance: $45,000 is a figure I seem to remember. Just a joke.

In Texas we pay extra to be covered for being hit by an ‘uninsured driver'. WTF??!! So just when you need insurance, you have to buy more to be covered for what is here, a very common occurence.

My_favorite_Brougham
04-10-07, 01:07 AM
Well right now I'm paying $234/ a month for liability only on my one and only Cadillac. Of course only after you know what happened.

N0DIH
04-10-07, 08:47 AM
Owch! When I got my 80 Turbo Trans AM I was paying $688 for 6 months in 1986, full coverage, $500 deductable. And I was only 19 then. 2 door, sports car (not compact, mid size etc), turbo, V8. It had about ever strike against me and only $688.

Then I turned 21 and it dropped to $327 for 6 months.

ChiTDI
04-10-07, 09:26 AM
How many of you out their have full coverage on your big old Caddies? Just curious because I've been considering it for various things like hail damage and parking lot damage, or even your own mishap. But is it really worth paying into for a car that's nearly 20 years old? I could easily spend more in a year for that than I did for the whole car. Basically, how should I handle the issue of protecting my priceless Caddy that insurnace companies consider worthless (ie. They'd total it for almost anything due to the low blue book value)?

Insure it for a "stated value" with your carrier. Get an estimate from an appraiser and get the insuring agreement to indemnify you for a specific value for stated perils or "all risk" coverage. Price dependent. Your choice.

Old Fleetwood
04-10-07, 09:42 PM
:yeah:
That was the first thing I did when the FWB was delivered from TX by the carrier.
We've been with the agent for 3 decades plus and wife worked there for a short while also. Therefore she has a handle on the ins and outs of the sneaky parts of the business. But we also have a good relationship with the agency which will go to bat for us in case of a loss like they did when we had a claim on our big, old Dodge van/wagon and freaky water damage in our house (our only claims for a long time until my wife's car got rear-ended TWICE in one year while standing at a red light - and she was the last car in the line).

JRau
04-14-07, 11:01 AM
I have full coverage, with $100 comp. deductible and a $250 collision deductible on my '91 Brougham, and I pay $221 for 6 months of coverage through State Farm Insurance here in central Iowa. I'm afraid that's going to skyrocket when I move to the Chicago area........:mad:

JRau

N0DIH
04-14-07, 11:10 AM
Don't rush to change agents, that is when they update for the region. Like me in the Army when I was in I kept my St. Louis Ins agent and was all over the US. If I changed agents like they told me from time to time then it would have jumped up significantly.

Old Fleetwood
04-14-07, 04:14 PM
That's a damn GOOD piece of advice !
We have had the same agent for years and years. One claim on the house was a real freak (toilet TANK (!) cracked suddenly) and flooded the upstairs bathroom. Often such a water damage claim can be dicey but the agent went to bat and we never got the usual rate increase even though it cost plenty to replace not only the toilet but the entire 16x24 living room ceiling and part of the floor.
Then my wife's van got smacked by some slobs tossing bricks from an overpass. They got the windshield and part of the roof and one side with dents and scratches. The Dodge B250 was a 1982 in 1995. Company gave us some crap. Agent "fixed it" with the company and we had the van fixed to our satisfaction.
Then my wife's 1999 Dodge Stratus was rear-ended in 2002 while standing in traffic. $2,000.00 or so damage. No problem. Same damn thing 5 months later and the carrier gave us some crap.
Again, the agency went to bat for us since my wife had been SITTING IN TRAFFIC right in front of the Bloomfield P.D. Headquarters when her car was hit. Although the claim adjuster wanted to be a smartass, the agency was big enough to overrule the jerk.
Repeating: If you have a good agent- stick with him or her.
We have 2 cars, (Cadillac on "stated value) one PopUp RV and our House with additional "Umbrella" coverage - the cheapest way to get very high limits in case somebody trips on your sidewalk - and we pay a total of just under $1,500.00 per year.

77CDV
04-14-07, 05:51 PM
I've always had full coverage on all my cars. I still keep full coverage on the 77, even though I'm lucky if I drive her 3000 miles a year. In fact, I'm driving her to a show tomorrow. Sooo haaapppyyyy!!!! :) But, with drivers being what they are on LA freeways, it's nice to know that should anything untoward happen, I'm covered and my insurance company will go after the other guy for the money.

Craig

codewize
04-15-07, 10:13 PM
I have full coverage on all 3 cars including full glass, towing and rental ins. It's only a couple hundred more than liability to have full coverage so why wouldn't you do it on any decent car.