: And this is supposed to be the competition? Hahaha.

Playdrv4me
04-05-07, 04:26 PM
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=120310#2

In a continued effort to prove that they can stretch the boundaries of the boring like no other, Toyota has just introduced the 2008 LX570. What a pile, it looks like a Highlander on steroids. If this is the best Toyota has to offer up in it's truck arsenal, theyve got *miles* to go. Even the interior is devoid of character.

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/il/news/2007/0404/2008.lexus.lx5702.500.jpg

Man what an ugly contraption. At least the old one was a classic.

DLE
04-05-07, 04:39 PM
Its okay. Not that bad though.

Playdrv4me
04-05-07, 04:45 PM
This would be a good study in perception. Im sure the Lexus runs like a top and is fairly reliable, but is that worth the cost of such bland and completely uninspired styiling and character? I think not.

I would gladly deal with a few problems on a vehicle that stands out of the crowd and blazes a trail wherever it goes. Thats just me.

yamla_jatt806
04-05-07, 06:39 PM
I agree with you somewhat. We have a 01 Camry, 6+ years, absolutely nothing has gone wrong on the car but it's the most boring car I have ever driven. On the other hand we have a 05 Escalade, it is awesome, big, loud, and proud but already it is squeaking from a couple of places, one rear seat won't recline properly, the leather is starting to wear out on the front seats...but I love it anyways. Cheers.

Jesda
04-05-07, 08:02 PM
Looks feminine. Thumbs down.

caddycruiser
04-05-07, 10:59 PM
The looks have gone bizarre, but on the current/old ones, the quality and refinement are simply the best there is, so it at least should have that going for it. Plus, the new Toyota 5.7L is a screamer, and should really help to liven it up.

May not have the look or brute performance of something like an Escalade, and won't sell in huge numbers (never has), but will stand for those who want a big luxury 'ute and are fine with giving up some of the "show" to have that impeccable quality impress them everyday.

We'll see. Best bet that it'll be exactly like the current, in terms of sales, at least.

srt
04-05-07, 11:50 PM
UGLY! :thehand:

Falkolade
04-06-07, 12:05 AM
actually i think it looks kinda hot from the front... do not like the back and the interior is appalling!!!

LLT
04-06-07, 12:06 AM
I would gladly deal with a few problems on a vehicle that stands out of the crowd and blazes a trail wherever it goes. Thats just me.

Must be a generation gap. I'm the complete opposite. I really don't care if I or my vehicle stand out (I'm "Married with Children" and out to impress nobody.) I'd prefer quality and comfort over looks and styling.

As for the car at hand... it's no uglier than a * Rover.

To each his own. :)

Playdrv4me
04-06-07, 01:09 AM
Must be a generation gap. I'm the complete opposite. I really don't care if I or my vehicle stand out (I'm "Married with Children" and out to impress nobody.) I'd prefer quality and comfort over looks and styling.

As for the car at hand... it's no uglier than a * Rover.

To each his own. :)

I usually respect your sentiments and the meat of your posts, but this one I find a little ironic. And my reasoning is quite simple. You see; as I am sure you are well aware, there are two other fine trucksters built on the exact same platform as your Escalade --that are about 15000.00 less give or take, with varying differences in engine power, but pretty similar levels of technology, utility, and yes... even comfort. So really, when it comes down to it, the only viable differences between the Tahoe Z71, Yukon Denali and Cadillac Escalade (note that I still used the high-zoot versions of each respective model) are a badge, a few ponies and well... "looks and styling". You could sort of make an argument for the power quotient, but you also stated in another thread that being the fastest to 60mph isnt that important to you either.

My point is, if you DONT want to stand out, an Escalade is not what you buy... And if you DO want to stand out, theres nothing wrong with that either. Money has little to do with it as well... You could spend even more on the ULTIMATE uber-hide-my-money cruiser, the Volkswagen Phaeton...Well as far as 4 door sedans go anyway. There are cheap cars that scream "look-at-me", and expensive ones that dont so much as raise a Beverly-Hills eyebrow.

As far as the Range Rover... looks are subjective, but between the Korea-cum Soccer mom LX570 above, and the sophisticated and muscular; almost hot-rod like Range Rover... It's a no brainer for me. As far as Im concerned, the Range Rover just happens to be in the same pantheon of automotive design greatness as other hall-of-famers like the 1993-2004 Cadillac Seville.

Maybe it is a generation gap... But if I recall... In your generation as well as mine, Caddies have always been about being the best in the world and letting that world know it, even when the competition might dictate otherwise.

LLT
04-06-07, 01:53 AM
Let's not make baseless assumptions - no offense was intended, no reason to get defensive. :)

To the contrary, I bought the Escalade over their counterparts because of alleged increase in quality, comfort and features -- including intellibeam, larger nav screen, ventilated seats, etc. If you've seen my other posts, you'll see that I believe I was wrong and the ESV is being shopped around local dealers as we speak for trade. I'm between a Toyota and Lexus LS - neither particularly exciting vehicles, but again, I'm after reliability, quality and comfort these days even at the expense of looks.

At any rate - when you make comments such as a "what a pile" and indicate you'd rather have a problem-vehicle that looks good, you should probably be prepared to have a difference in opinion, just as I expect my discontent with the '07 Escalade to be met with opposition by happy owners. It's all subjective anyway. :)

hcvone
04-06-07, 06:24 AM
Personally I would drive a pickup truck before a Toyota or Lexus SUV, I feel the same was about the Porsche and BMW SUV's as well, I like my SRX Caddy better than these too. The latest C&D driver tested these mini SUV's, and while the MDX Acura won, the SRX came in second, and if you read the report the staff said it's the SUV that they would want to drive coast to coast of all the ones tested. My SRX has not had a single problem, and no problems so far with my 1st and 3rd Escalade. :) Trust me if any car/truck I own gives me problems it's gone, the problem is that driving a 400 plus hp SUV all other feel like slugs.

Jesda
04-06-07, 10:06 PM
This thread makes me feel dead inside, like a Lexus.

Playdrv4me
04-06-07, 10:19 PM
Let's not make baseless assumptions - no offense was intended, no reason to get defensive. :)

To the contrary, I bought the Escalade over their counterparts because of alleged increase in quality, comfort and features -- including intellibeam, larger nav screen, ventilated seats, etc. If you've seen my other posts, you'll see that I believe I was wrong and the ESV is being shopped around local dealers as we speak for trade. I'm between a Toyota and Lexus LS - neither particularly exciting vehicles, but again, I'm after reliability, quality and comfort these days even at the expense of looks.

At any rate - when you make comments such as a "what a pile" and indicate you'd rather have a problem-vehicle that looks good, you should probably be prepared to have a difference in opinion, just as I expect my discontent with the '07 Escalade to be met with opposition by happy owners. It's all subjective anyway. :)

Well I did not mean to get defensive. As I mentioned your posts are very informative, I just feel like theres nothing at all wrong with liking the Escalade for its appearance. Its a great looking truck. The 07 is not as much to my taste as the previous generation BUT still WAAAY out ahead of most of whats out there. I think that driving something that makes you feel good is just as much as the enthusiast experience as the utility and comfort it provides for you. Some people drive fancy cars to make up for other shortcomings, but not everyone who drives a vehicle because they like the appeal it has to the public is a snob or a bad person, its just a personal thing I think.

Some Prius owners feel the same pride about the environmental message their Prii's send to other drivers, and I guess thats ok too. Like you said, to each his own.

wookerNokturnal
04-06-07, 10:49 PM
I'am a big LEXUS fan and i got the LS in mind?????

LLT
04-07-07, 12:01 AM
Well I did not mean to get defensive. As I mentioned your posts are very informative, I just feel like theres nothing at all wrong with liking the Escalade for its appearance. Its a great looking truck. The 07 is not as much to my taste as the previous generation BUT still WAAAY out ahead of most of whats out there. I think that driving something that makes you feel good is just as much as the enthusiast experience as the utility and comfort it provides for you. Some people drive fancy cars to make up for other shortcomings, but not everyone who drives a vehicle because they like the appeal it has to the public is a snob or a bad person, its just a personal thing I think.

Some Prius owners feel the same pride about the environmental message their Prii's send to other drivers, and I guess thats ok too. Like you said, to each his own.

Believe me, I understand. When I had the time and interest in working on my own vehicles, I had corvettes, Chevelles, 442's all of the cool "look at me cars" -- to be honest, the Escalade kind of brought back some of those .. memories with the looks it brought. As time moves on, you become less interested in the looks and more in the hassle-free driving experience. I guess that was the no-offense-intended point I was trying to convey, albeit poorly. :D

Ever since I had kids, I've developed an Adrian Monk (OCD) syndrome. Everything has to be perfect, especially with my vehicles. My last few GM vehicles have sent me into OCD overload, I just can't deal with it anymore - which frankly, sucks given GM has been such a big part of my family. To be fair, apart from glaring quality defects that plagued both of my Escalades, it's generally things that most people wouldn't notice... trim pieces and panels out of alignment, slight vibrations, wind noise, etc. Ultimately, it's the attention to detail. It's much higher, I'm sad to say, with Toyota, Lexus, BMW, hell, even Lincoln.

As you said, it's all in what you're looking for. I don't fault you for wanting to look good rolling down the street. Kudos for being able to do so. I only wish a vehicle that both looks good (subjective, I know) AND is relatively problem-free (comparatively speaking, of course) existed... then we wouldn't have to choose one over the other. :)

Dif
04-07-07, 01:25 PM
I went to the the LX570 website and was just wondering.
Is it just me or does looking at the setup and shape of the dash, seats, console etc,... viewed straight in from the back ,.. look Very similar to the Escalade?
Especially the air vents in the dash ... look exactly like the Escalade.:)

Jesda
04-08-07, 08:31 AM
If all you need is a transit appliance, dump the $50k truck and get yourself a Camry. Every other dullard in America has done so.

Dif
04-08-07, 11:39 AM
If all you need is a transit appliance, dump the $50k truck and get yourself a Camry. Every other dullard in America has done so.
You stated probably the more important point of this discussion..
needs and wants.
If it weren't for the EXT ( Avalanche ) configuration of the Escalade I probably wouldn't have a Cadillac.
I think about the fact I don't need a Cadillac and could have been just as well off with my 02 Avalanche.
But I like the EXT combination of Luxury, Hot Rod performance and ability to haul people "and" stuff all in one type vehicle even though it might not be the perfect setup in every situation.
I like the Flash and Pizzaz of the Cadillac, but I'd be happy with the peformance and luxury without some of the attention it gets from it's look.
Like having an old Muscle Car built to the Hilt but still in Primer :)

caddycruiser
04-08-07, 04:33 PM
Believe me, I understand. When I had the time and interest in working on my own vehicles, I had corvettes, Chevelles, 442's all of the cool "look at me cars" -- to be honest, the Escalade kind of brought back some of those .. memories with the looks it brought. As time moves on, you become less interested in the looks and more in the hassle-free driving experience. I guess that was the no-offense-intended point I was trying to convey, albeit poorly. :D

Ever since I had kids, I've developed an Adrian Monk (OCD) syndrome. Everything has to be perfect, especially with my vehicles. My last few GM vehicles have sent me into OCD overload, I just can't deal with it anymore - which frankly, sucks given GM has been such a big part of my family. To be fair, apart from glaring quality defects that plagued both of my Escalades, it's generally things that most people wouldn't notice... trim pieces and panels out of alignment, slight vibrations, wind noise, etc. Ultimately, it's the attention to detail. It's much higher, I'm sad to say, with Toyota, Lexus, BMW, hell, even Lincoln.

As you said, it's all in what you're looking for. I don't fault you for wanting to look good rolling down the street. Kudos for being able to do so. I only wish a vehicle that both looks good (subjective, I know) AND is relatively problem-free (comparatively speaking, of course) existed... then we wouldn't have to choose one over the other. :)

I'm with you, and I'm only 21. I'm all for looks, and love the Escalade for example, but when it comes to such an expensive purchase, sometimes just that "feel" of richness for your money is more important than visual flash. Of course, it's great to have both in a nice combo, but that doesn't always happen.

So, like I said, vehicles like the Escalade will continue to sell to those looking for more flash and not OCD about every little detail being impeccable, and the new Lexus--however odd--will sell to those who just get comfort from writing that $70k check and basking in little things like how the doors close, how things fit, how things work, etc. Just two different vehicles, and as with any, the selection allows for greater choice in what individual people want with their own cash.

Smokin' 04 CTS
04-08-07, 05:25 PM
I really like caddy's. But I gotta stand up for the cruiser here. My dad bought our 96 FJ 80 Cruiser for $52K new over ten years ago and I bought the truck from him a year ago.

These things are built like tanks (knock on wood): solid front and rear axles, locking differentials, real full time 4WD and they have excellent road manners on and off-road. With over 100K miles, everything is still original and its really reliable.

I couldn't really agree that the lexus version competes with the 'lade, they are sort of in different leagues (not that one is better than the other, but that each is different and appeals to different people). I wouldn't want to be nearing 200-250K miles in an escalade, and neither would any of you guys. Then again, pulling up in a land cruiser at the vallet isn't very impressive either, lol. Escalades are awesome in terms of appeal, power and style.. but its styling is so flashy that its appeal fades with the trends. A perfect example of this is the fact that hardly anyone on this forum has the first generation 'lade.

I don't wanna start a "flame-war" or anything, give me the option and I will take the 'lade anyday.. but the cruiser's do have some perk's as well.

Playdrv4me
04-09-07, 02:10 AM
I really like caddy's. But I gotta stand up for the cruiser here. My dad bought our 96 FJ 80 Cruiser for $52K new over ten years ago and I bought the truck from him a year ago.

These things are built like tanks (knock on wood): solid front and rear axles, locking differentials, real full time 4WD and they have excellent road manners on and off-road. With over 100K miles, everything is still original and its really reliable.

I couldn't really agree that the lexus version competes with the 'lade, they are sort of in different leagues (not that one is better than the other, but that each is different and appeals to different people). I wouldn't want to be nearing 200-250K miles in an escalade, and neither would any of you guys. Then again, pulling up in a land cruiser at the vallet isn't very impressive either, lol. Escalades are awesome in terms of appeal, power and style.. but its styling is so flashy that its appeal fades with the trends. A perfect example of this is the fact that hardly anyone on this forum has the first generation 'lade.

I don't wanna start a "flame-war" or anything, give me the option and I will take the 'lade anyday.. but the cruiser's do have some perk's as well.

I agree with you to an extent, but it seems that with time, everything gets cheapened, and the direction that ALL of the mighty giants are going is AWAY from their heritage. You are talking about the Land Cruiser we all know and love, on which the current LX470 is based. The LX and Landy are FINE trucks, probably in the same league off-road wise as the Range Rover and the G500.

Unfortunately, this new LX570 looks like its yet another example of the feminizing of the titans. The G Class has been unofficially replaced by the completely horrid GL Class, and now it looks like this LX is following right in its path.

So lets see, if you lose the off-roadability, and the brawny looks... Youre left with a reliable people mover. And if all you needed were a reliable people mover no one cared to sneeze at, the Sienna minivan would have been fine for that.

Smokin' 04 CTS
04-09-07, 01:09 PM
I agree with you to an extent, but it seems that with time, everything gets cheapened, and the direction that ALL of the mighty giants are going is AWAY from their heritage. You are talking about the Land Cruiser we all know and love, on which the current LX470 is based. The LX and Landy are FINE trucks, probably in the same league off-road wise as the Range Rover and the G500.

Unfortunately, this new LX570 looks like its yet another example of the feminizing of the titans. The G Class has been unofficially replaced by the completely horrid GL Class, and now it looks like this LX is following right in its path.

So lets see, if you lose the off-roadability, and the brawny looks... Youre left with a reliable people mover. And if all you needed were a reliable people mover no one cared to sneeze at, the Sienna minivan would have been fine for that.

I totally agree. I wouldn't buy a new one and its ashame that it took such a "highlanderish" turn. If the landcruiser isn't rugged and tough, then it really isn't a land cruiser. I am also on the landcruiser forums and they seem to agree that this new "thing" isn't really a cruiser.

I think the new escalade is a much better choice over this new "land cruiser."

07slade
04-11-07, 11:15 PM
I love the new LX from the front and sides but the back is ehhh mabye it will grow on me kinda like the lincoln MKX. I bought my escalade because i wanted something i could toss a bunch of people in and drive anywhere in comfort while at the same time feeling safe and secure, I also love the escalade because it just looks gorgeous and it kinda fits my personality, i love all of the shiny cell phones and chrome and diamonds, all of that stuff, and i also bought the escalade because i have owned gms before and figured i would see how far they have come and i was impressed , and i didn't feel like waiting for the navigator so i bought the escalade and i LOVE it, but i might trade it in for the new H2 depending on how the h2 runs and drives.