: Tow dolly for "75 Eldo Conv?

laquintacad
03-27-04, 12:42 AM
Has anybody towed a '70s Eldorado with a rental tow dolly? I've heard the car may be too big. Anyone know?

Thanks

Allante North *
03-27-04, 09:29 AM
Never towed a 70 Eldo, but I can tell you that using a tow dolly on a 76 Coupe would not work. I used a tow dolly on a 76 El Camino, but had to use the small do-nut spare to get it on the dolly. Rent a trailer and be sure to check the clearance before you pick it up. Use a tape measure to check the width of the car -vs- trailer and you should be OK.

davesdeville
03-27-04, 06:27 PM
I looked at the major rental places like UHaul, and none of them had one wide enough. I don't think they were rated for high enough weight either. I was looking for a 75 Sedan DeVille, but I don't think an Eldo will fit either.

lux hauler
03-28-04, 11:20 AM
Here's what U-Hauls site says about tow dollys:

http://www.uhaul.com/guide/

SpecificationsEmpty weight: 650 lbs
Max load: 3,450 lbs when towing a front–wheel– drive vehicle
3,900 lbs. when towing a rear-wheel-drive vehicle
Tow hitch required: Class 2 (3,500 lb. minimum weight-carrying rating)
Hitch ball: 1 7/8, 2 or 2 1/8, (3,500 lb. minimum)
FeaturesRatchet operated tire straps
Vehicle security chains
Easy towing AdvisementsThe vehicle in-tow:

Must not weigh in excess of 3,450 lbs. if it is front-wheel-drive
Must not weigh in excess of 3,900 lbs. if it is rear-wheel-drive
Must weigh 750 lbs. less than the towing vehicle
Must not exceed a body width (at the doors) of 75 inches
Note: body widths over 72 inches must use late-model U-Haul tow dolly
(identifiable by silver galvanized color)
Must have a maximum “outside to outside” tire width of 72 inches
Note: outside tire width over 69 1/2 inches must use a swivel-platform U-Haul Tow Dolly.
Low hanging equipment on the vehicle being towed such as spoilers, air dams, ground effects, etc., may be damaged by contact with the Tow-Dolly during loading and unloading. Make sure there is enough clearance for these items.
Your towing vehicle:

All SUVs must be equipped with a hard top. U-Haul does not allow any type of sport-utility vehicle, not equipped with a hard top, to tow U-Haul equipment.
Curb weight must be 750 lbs. more than the vehicle-in-tow
Must not exceed maximum allowable hitch ball height of 25"
Must have external mirrors on both sides
Must have fully operational lighting
Other

Maximum recommended speed: 45 mph
Tow dolly lighting must be operational at all times – loaded or unloaded
Tow lights (tail / stop / turn) also required at rear of vehicle-in-tow
Note: The truck and trailer measurements are approximate. The equipment you receive may vary in size, based on the engineering/design specifications of multiple-production models. The miles per gallon calculations are estimations for ideal driving circumstances. Many conditions can affect this number, including: driving with a load, road grades and conditions, and vehicle speed.