: Name this part /or/ should I put it back

n3rdcore
03-26-04, 07:06 PM
I changed my fuel filter just now, and the new one had a little black gromit with a spring loaded valve in it. The one I took out did not have this. So I left it out. What is the function of it and should it be there??? Attached is a pic of the old filter next to the valve in question.

A side note, Pepboys has the wrong fuel filter part number in their system. The one they list for my 72 eldo is like 3x the size of the correct one! :bonkers:

MMNineInchNails
03-27-04, 03:10 AM
I believe you need that in the quadrajet. Doesn't it make it so the filter actually works and without it it doesn't work?

n3rdcore
03-27-04, 08:08 PM
Well I left it out and for the last day it has been running fine. The filter that I removed didn't have one in there. I guess I could try putting it in and see if there's a diff but it was a pain in the ass getting to it...

MMNineInchNails
03-28-04, 02:24 AM
Did the previous owner put a universal inline filter?

n3rdcore
03-28-04, 12:58 PM
I don't see any inline filter on there. Just the metal fuel line straight into the stock filter.

djmumm
03-29-04, 02:57 PM
This is used as a check valve and is used to keep fuel from draining down the pipe from the pump to the carb when not running. Also, it may keep from sucking fuel out of the carb when the car is parked. However, I believe that the needle valve is high enough in the carb that it will not suck all of the fuel out of the carb.

Put it in such that the valve is open in the direction of fuel flow towards the carb. I do not remember which direction fuel flows through the filter. You will have to look at your fitting and which side of the filter the spring(not the spring in the valve, but the one that seats the filter) is on so that you know which direction fuel flows.

Dave

n3rdcore
03-29-04, 09:36 PM
y'know i thought something else was missing. There wasn't a seating spring inside when I took off the valve, but the chilton showed one in there. Guess i'll have to make a trip down to pepboys and find one... looks like the genius who changed the fuel filter last decided that there were "extra" parts in mine :rolleyes2